It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd Fish caught in the Congo.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This extremely odd fish was caught somewhere in the Congo. If you browse through the pics it becomes obvious how very "toothy" this creature is. I found it very interesting.

I am a fisherman and I have never seen anything like this. I am sure there is a name for this species and it looks alot like a member of the bass family, I have done a lot of fishing in Costa Rica and there are "toothy" fish there, but nothing like this. Anybody know what kind of fish this is?

ebaumsworld.com...

[edit on 19-4-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It looks like a striped bass in severe need of an orthodonist.

Besides that, if that is natural as opposed to a mutation, what on earth or should I say what under the water would it eat to need teeth like that? They look like sharks teeth.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by grover]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Id like to suggest this mean looking guy as a Tiger Fish

en.wikipedia.org...

www.aquariumfish.net...

I love fishing and hope to someday get the chance to visit the congo for some real fishing!! Up north I was fond of catching walleye, they have many fangs, and must be careful when you get the hook out.. Not the kinda catch where you go sticking your hand in its mouth..

Snuk and redfish are on the menu here in Tampa

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yikes!

No swimming zone, right?

Looks like a Tiger fish alright.
The Goliath Tiger fish is the closest thing I could find.
Might be what we're looking at here.

Goliath Tiger Fishing on the Congo

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I think you nailed that one, spacedoubt.

Personally it looks like a lake trout on 'roids ... with quite the anterior clout.

OUCH.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
It looks like a striped bass in severe need of an orthodonist.

That's funny, that's the SAME thing I thought when I saw that picture!

You wouldn't want to be wading in the surf to catch "that" stripped bass.

At least not without wearing a shark suite!

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I wonder if it bites?

It could just be your run of the mill misunderstood vedgeterrian fish..........

[edit on 19-4-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Rawr. I'm a tiger fish!

JbT

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Would be pretty sweet to be fishing there, for fish you dont even know the names of!

One thing I wouldnt be doing though is bringing my Belly Boat in that water. Might lose a leg.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Strange that the teeth are so big for a fresh water fish.

By the way, has anyone every tasted tiger fish?

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This fish was found the in Congo. Its looks so prehistoric. If something like that could be found in the Congo, Is it not more evidence to support the sightings of the dinosaur said to be living in the jungles their. Just a thought.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
fortunately for us striper fishermen, they have no teeth.

I was going to post the goliath tiger fishing link as well. now I'm going to see about booking a trip

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I like bow fishing Carp.
I could bow fish that.
Cool

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows?
This fish was found the in Congo. Its looks so prehistoric. If something like that could be found in the Congo, Is it not more evidence to support the sightings of the dinosaur said to be living in the jungles their. Just a thought.

I cannot speak for this Tiger ..but i have seen some fresh water fish with some decent size teeth ..app there was this "huge fish" in one of our local rivers (Vaal River) bout 30min drive from me,but i have never seen it nor met anyone personally who has..but then it it quite a large river ..still debunk it imo.

As for The Congo my uncle was a "Rekkie" or soldier for hire who was i the Congo for months on end ..yes as a child and to my dad i know the stories he told about strange insects and the occasional animal but nothing dinosaur like..but then i think they were more worried getting shot than eaten ..telling me that humans were still the most dangerous specie out there.

If we could only explore the whole Congo ..i mean the Congo Caves alone is beyond anything i have experienced..& i was on a guided tour.I will place some pics from a recent trip to the rain forest..amazing,i cannot even imagine what the Amazons,Peru,Madagascar is hiding.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
google Megatransect if you want to see a national geographic story on the Congo and Gabon and the last pristine wilderness in Africa
where there are no people and the animals know no fear of man

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
Up north I was fond of catching walleye, they have many fangs, and must be careful when you get the hook out.. Not the kinda catch where you go sticking your hand in its mouth.

Pickerel (known as "walleye" to Americans) have teeth, but I'd hardly call them fangs. Most salmon have teeth, and chum salmon develop large teeth during spawning that are comparable to dog teeth. Most fish except for suckers have teeth of some form.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I only joined up now and read this post. Yes, this is a Goliath Tiger. It is not vegetarian - it eats other fish and is an extremely efficient predator. I have caught it's cousin the Tigerfish here in South Africa as recently as but it was a small one. I would love to snag a Goliath, take a pic and then release it. The tigers we catch are awesome fighters but unfortunately they get very exhausted during a fight and it is difficult to revive them.
The Tigerfish is edible but as it has many tiny bones it is not regarded as a table fish.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Yeppers looks like our mean looking fishy friend is indeed a Goliath Tiger Fish

Creepy

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

These teeth are not designed like a sharks. Sharks teeth are generally designed for cutting. Peg teeth are usually designed for preventing something from escaping. Once this fish grabs onto something I'd bet what it is holding onto rarely ever gets away.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I love learning about new species.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by ETL71]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ETL71

It's not a new species. Rather, it's an established species that has found its way into the wild world of internet linkage.

Glad you enjoyed it, though.

join