It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunter S. Thompson suicide or murder?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I don't think we'll ever know for sure if Hunter actually pulled the trigger or he like so many other was silenced by they which do not have names. I have read almost everything he has written and seen every t.v. appearance (they are rare). I lead a life similar to that of Hunter full of drugs, violence, and insanity and found that it is truly liberating; the man was a genius and inspired the masses including myself. He was the father of Gonzo journalism; he wrote and lived on every topic from the government to the Hells Angles.

That's a little back story of Hunter for anyone who has lived a sheltered and is unaware of his greatness. Now for the issue at hand; did he kill himself? I don't doubt that he had it in him to kill himself; he was an old man that felt his prime was over and may have not wanted to be subjugated to unpleasantness of elderly life. It's a very simple answer to the question of why he did it. But if Hunter has taught me anything it's to question what "they" tell us.

The day before he died he told reporter friend Paul Roberts "they're gonna make it look like suicide.....I know how these bastards think". If that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb I don't know what does. This coupled with the reaction of his widow Anita who said he mentioned nothing of killing himself; he had said come home there is a story we need to work on.

But why would the evil that runs the world need to get rid of one mere author. Perhaps it was the story he was working on that threatened to uncover years of the republicans running an underground underage male prostitution ring; also, Hunter was a huge advocate that the Bush administration played a big role in 9/11. If it were any ordinary Joe writing about this they may look the other way, but Hunter had followers. He had an audience that actually paid attention; what if you silence the voice; all the problems go away.

Take a look at some interesting occurrences. Hunter's investigating played a large part in uncovering the fact that former White House correspondent Jeff Gannon (an alias), real name James Guckert, had no press credentials that should allow him access to the white house let alone the president. Yet this man was present for numerous press conferences, asked the president numerous questions which appeared to be soft questions. This is because Guckert in fact worked for a conservative supporting website aimed at presenting their version of the news. This man also turned out to be linked with a rather large male prostitution ring. And what about the story of former republican congressman Mark Foley who made numerous sexual advances toward male pages that was known by fellow republicans for years but went unmentioned. This story broke in September 2006; over a year after the reporting's of Hunter were brought to the attention of the public; what did this have to do with it?

Also unless you really dive into the life of Hunter you don't really find any information of his death not related to suicide. Surely a man such as Hunter would have wanted this statement on record yet the main stream media that reports on Hunter at all mentions nothing of this.

Hunter's long time friend Ralph Steadman said "He told me 25 years ago that he would feel real trapped if he didn't know that he could commit suicide at any moment"; I feel that Hunter was entirely capable of pulling the trigger, but that doesn't necessarily mean he did it. That's what Hunter taught me; to question question. Even if something that seems cut and dry like a man such as Hunter who said he would kill himself killing himself isn't necessarily that simple. Always look for other explanations to situations not just the answers they give us.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
oh, oh, oh, mister kot-tayyyyyr, i know!

yes. it was murder.

sorry if i didn't read the words over my post's head here. later i will. i already believe, from earlier evidence, ie. he claimed to have definitive incriminating evidence about 911, and the events in the house seem to indicate an assassin with a silencer.

that is, that he said he would be killed, a few days earlier. and he had a phone conversation which was inconsistent with a suicide candidate, ie. he was upbeat. and people in the house heard a muffled shot.

there is more, but that's the meat.

okay, let's look at my post as an 'eyewitness' of the media at the time, and see how 'accurate' my testimony is.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I can see either side. He was working on that piece, we hear, on the WTC demolitions - his other words and writings on 9/11 were spot-on. He has his credibility problems, but this was not gonzo stuff - he was lucid and calm and genius ishis approach there, and had a possible dangerous resonnance.
Or perhaps he didn't feel up to going through withit all and offed himself in such a way as to become a martyr for truth, an apparent hit by the Shadow Government, etc...

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I've been following Thompson's (mis)adventures since the Hell's Angels book, and he's always been a personal hero of mine.

I really don't know what to make of this whole Bohemian Grove/paedophilia/photographer thing, except to say it's a pretty effective way to knock Thompson off of our radar in a hurry. If it's all BS, then it's BS of the scariest order. If it's true...well who knows?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I read Thompson's Hell's Angels book shortly after it came out in those hippie days of yore. It was an awesome book, written in a wonderful no baloney style. For a literary type this guy had balls of iron. I find it very difficult to believe that he committed suicide, absent some diagnosis of terminal illness.

On top of that the political situation, 911, Manchurian candidate Bush, the Nazi-style #-kicking of Iraq, the fraudulent elections etc., all added up to a political environment that was suddenly as "gonzo" as his writing. I think a guy like him would have been jumping out of bed every morning and knocking over his wife to get at the typewriter.

I have a real hard time accepting suicide in his case. Being murdered for your writing is more prestigious than getting the Nobel prize, although most people would prefer the lesser award.

top topics

join