It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teraforming of Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I've always enjoyed the thought about going to another planet and being able to bring life to so our society can continue to prosper. Unfortunately human beings are still to immature and bent on war to really see what we are doing to ourselves.

This article gives an interesting view on the "short term" time frame which it make take to turn Mars into a habitable plant. Keep in mind that I don't think as humans we'll be around for it.

Enjoy the link.

Arcticnull

Teraforming Mars

jra

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Although I'm no expert, but from what I understand, Mars has a weak magnetic field and because of that, solar winds have blown away most of its atmosphere over time. Simply pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere isn't going to solve that problem as far as I know. If one could reactivate the core of the planet and make it active again (and thus its magnetic field). I think that alone would really help to make Mars livable, but it would still take some time for the atmosphere to build up. I have no idea how one could make a planets core active, it's something beyond our abilities.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
what does mars have that we need? outside of these wars we fight and cannot 'really see', it would be silly to undertake an exacerbating project like terformation of mars without a just cause.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by etotheitheta
what does mars have that we need? outside of these wars we fight and cannot 'really see', it would be silly to undertake an exacerbating project like terformation of mars without a just cause.

space, Earth is becoming more and more overpopulated.
resources, Earth's are being depleted.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Ugh, I'm so sick of this demonstrably false overpopulation idea.

Elrich's "The Population Bomb" is the preeminent book among those who believe that overpopulation exists. Elrich's theories have been completely destroyed by Julian Lincoln Simon.

And here's how.

"Critics have compared Ehrlich to Thomas Malthus for his multiple predictions of famine and economic catastrophe. The leading critic of Ehrlich was Julian Lincoln Simon, a libertarian theorist and the author of the book The Ultimate Resource, a book which argues a larger population is a benefit, not a cost. To test their two contrasting views on resources, in 1980, Ehrlich and Simon entered into a wager over how the price of metals would move during the 1980s. Ehrlich predicted that the price would increase as metals became more scarce in the Earth's crust, while Simon insisted the price of metals had fallen throughout human history and would continue to do so. Ehrlich lost the bet. Indeed such was the decline in the price of the five metals Ehrlich selected, Simon would have won even without taking inflation into account."

en.wikipedia.org...

And what does Mr. Simon say about the future of the human race?

"We have in our hands now—actually in our libraries—the technology to feed, clothe, and supply energy to an ever-growing population for the next 7 billion years. Most amazing is that most of this specific body of knowledge was developed within just the past two centuries or so, though it rests, of course, on basic knowledge that had accumulated for millennia. Indeed, the last necessary additions to this body of technology—nuclear fission and space travel—occurred decades ago."

en.wikipedia.org...

He's not alone in his belief that overpopulation is not an issue, consider that most estimate the Earth's "carrying capacity" to be between 15-20 billion, whereas Earth's population will probably plateau out at roughly 9 billion by 2300.

fubini.swarthmore.edu...
www.eroei.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
so let me get this right uberarcanist you think that there is no overpopulation, have you ever even stepped outside of the united states and seen any other parts of the world, because i have!
Overpopulation in this planet exists have you ever been to Japan?
Those people are crammed onto those island's why do you think they were so eager to take other peoples lands during world war 2.
Also why do you think China has a one child policy becuase of overpopulation.
So do you think we should just site on this planet for the rest of our existence without even thinking of reaching out to the stars and colonizing other worlds? Mars represents a positive future for mankind why can't you accept that!

Also in responce to what jra asked Mars is a very cold planet as a result of it being further away from the sun and having a thin atmosphere, the reason some think pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere is because they will help to trap heat making the planet warmer and more suitable for life, also it will melt the Martian polar ice caps creating seas and river systems, hope that answers your question

apc

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Without restarting the Martian core all life on the surface would have to exist in heavily shielded domes. Any habitable atmosphere created would be blown away by the unimpeded solar winds.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
There is already ice on Mars do some research its fairly easy to find.

The solar winds could be a problem, but if the planet is spinning it is producing a proper magnetic field like earth.

So to see if Mars has a rotation speed would best to tell if the planet could be habitable in the future.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arcticnull
I've always enjoyed the thought about going to another planet and being able to bring life to so our society can continue to prosper. Unfortunately human beings are still to immature and bent on war to really see what we are doing to ourselves.

This article gives an interesting view on the "short term" time frame which it make take to turn Mars into a habitable plant. Keep in mind that I don't think as humans we'll be around for it.

Enjoy the link.

Arcticnull

Teraforming Mars

It is possible that the countries of our world are already in the process of terraforming mars if one believes the claims of our having re-inhabited an abandoned alien base that is underneath the oceans on mars, because that goes along with our having technology that is 500+ years ahead of our current technological development as a species. Thats what I've heard, that mars is being used as a sort of insurance policy against a possible global cataclysm in the near future.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It has already been said that plant life can exist in martian soil, however further testing shows that the soil contains toxins.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
'Teraform' Mars?

Multiply it by 10^12?

Yes, I can see how you might have some trouble with that.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
acually the biggest most important tool... is one of our biggest issues on earth

Mars has no magnetic field because the radio active elements at it's core are depleated... there is no reaction happening...

we have tons of Radioactive waste and other materials available for almost no other purpose than self destruction or pollution...

Mars simply needs a core injection of..Uranium and Plutonium... and it would have a magnetic field again...

with that you cut the radiation hold a slightly thicker atmosphere and it would be..not as liveable for us as Earth...but liveable on the surface...

so we can do this...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Dies anyone know the words Christ seacretly spoke to Mary Magdalene that "shocked" all the other apostles?

"Armageddon is choice... to fight here on Earth or leave to become the conquerer of the Heavens"

It's our choice guys... there is every reason to go... No religous debate but...those were the words... how he knew? Son of G-d LOL... I don't know I offer NO specuation... other than a great world spiritualist had this down 2,000 yrs ago...

and I relish those words because in this day and age...all of us know what our choices are...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Earth is NOT overpopulated!!!!
How many times do i need to hear that same myth for crying out loud! Population can double and we would still have everything wee need...if politics and wealth were more fair..

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Does anyone know the words Christ seacretly spoke to Mary Magdalene that "shocked" all the other apostles?

You mean she ratted on Him?

Women, I tell you, they're all the same.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

If America were to keep consuming they would need 3-4 earths just to have equilibrium with the world.

Now do the math of how many people are in America, then do the math of how many there are in the world.

Its just a numbers game, look at the numbers and its easy to understand that 6.2 billion people on earth next to 300 million in America, America still needs more resources due to consumption.

It just means that America is consuming more then were prodcuing. So heres a saying that applies," If your outflow exceeds your income, then you upkeep will be your downfall."

[edit on 8-8-2008 by Quickfix]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. The lack of a magnetic field on Mars is not a serious problem. Thickening the atmosphere would greatly reduce the amount of radiation reaching the surface. Precautions would still need to be taken; you wouldn't want to "live under the sun" every day of your life, but otherwise there'd be no trouble. Furthermore, the solar winds are not going to blow the atmosphere away over night. That process took millions of years.

join