It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mokele-mbeme footage???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I read on this cryptid website that a Japanese film crew had filmed for about 15 seconds a large moving object before it dove under the surface. Is this true? Does anybody have the footage???

In 1992, a Japanese film crew captured some of the best photographic evidence of a mokele-mbeme ever presented. They were filming aerial footage from a small plane over the area of Lake Tele to obtain some panoramic landscape shots for a documentary. They noticed a large shape moving across the surface of the lake and leaving a V-shaped wake behind itself. The cameraman zoomed in and got about 15 seconds of the object in motion before it dives under the surface. The resulting footage is very jumpy and indistinct, but it shows a vertical protuberance at the front of the object that could be a long neck.

Source

Anybody who has further information please post! I always thought this cryptid to be fake, but if there's actual footage of it, I might have to rethink it!

-Jimmy-

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Is this old news? Has anyone ever heard of this? Does anyone know if this has been debunked or has any idea if it has been discussed? (Probably)

-Jimmy-

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I've seen this footage before. Its looks more like an elephant wading through the water than a dinosaur. In fact, you can't really distinguish any details from the video because it was taken from a helicopter. In other words the supposed dinosaur was the size of this period at the end of my sentence.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Okay, would you happen to know where I could find this footage? I'll check youtube right now. Thanks.

Nothing on youtube

-Jimmy-

[edit on 27-3-2007 by Jimmy910130]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I always thought the Mokele-mbeme was one of the more plausible crytids. Mainly due to the remote area that the Congo is in, the watershed is huge (roughly the size of Arkansas), and that it sits on the equator. However, most of the eyewitnesses are the locals. They describe it as the size of a elephant, has a tail like a crocodile, and leaves a three claw print. Which leaves me to believe that they are just seeing elephants and crocodiles and saying that they are something else. A British and American team investigated it in 2001, I think this was the last expedition. They found nothing note worthy.

I tried finding the video, but came up empty. All I could find was a crappy still that shows nothing.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy910130
Okay, would you happen to know where I could find this footage? I'll check youtube right now. Thanks.

I saw the video a long time ago on the National Geographic Channel, it was inconclusive because the figure depicted could have been a swimming elephant.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier

I saw the video a long time ago on the National Geographic Channel, it was inconclusive because the figure depicted could have been a swimming elephant.

It really is inconclusive. Here is a pic from that Japanese video. As you can see it was so far away. Why wouldn't they fly closer?

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I saw a show last night, some snake show, that theorizes the creature is a gigantic snake, maybe a 30 footer.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by testrat

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier

It really is inconclusive. Here is a pic from that Japanese video. As you can see it was so far away. Why wouldn't they fly closer?

Whoa, thats a tiny picture. I hope they zoomed in on the video at some point, because otherwise there's no telling what it is unless we use some of that magical CSI "ZOOM ZOOM ENHANCE" software that creates information thats not there.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Shame on you! I thought you had the video from your topic!

Then again just write Mokele-mbembe and I am going to have to click. It's got to be my favorite. Seems pretty plausable when you put it against things like Loch Ness and the rest. I mean look at where it is, not only is this area isolated in the middle of the jungle (hard mother of all jungle type jungle) it's also in the middle of one of the civil warringist countries around! Nessy is surrounded by what? Scottish tourists?

It's real "Lost World" material... opps...

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Sorry, no footage here either.

Did some minimal searching and came up with nothing regarding the 'Japanese Film Crew'.

Did find the following story, interesting.

Chow down with the Pygmis

The author of the article seems to have done quite a bit of research and done not appear to be overly biased.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
that could also be a hippo. I tend to think that it isn't a sauropod. A creature like that would leave lots of tracks in the soft mud that would be easily identifiable.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
that could also be a hippo. I tend to think that it isn't a sauropod. A creature like that would leave lots of tracks in the soft mud that would be easily identifiable.

The locals do say that they leave a three clawed footprint. It is almost impossible to verify. Research teams only make it in there every couple of years.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR

VERY identifyable, but also in the middle of what may as well be nowhere!

That's the thing with this guy, very very remote. From what I understand the Congo region isn't even fully mapped, and satelite imagery only gives you a nice green canopy to peer at. Lake Tele and another one near it are really the only open air areas for miles and miles around. That is the way I understand it at least.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Any decent tracker (which I'm sure africa has plenty of) will be able to spot that stuff from a helecopter or small plane. The mashed under brush and tracks left my the animal will be very noticeable even to a guy who has only gone to a weekend course on animal tracking.

I think they should hire one of those types to fly over the riverine ways and chart where suspected tracks are for large game. From there he can go up a second time to inspect the suspected parts of the river and look for the various game. If at closer inspection the guy doesn't think the tracks are made up of some of the more common or known large game, then send in a field team to investigate and confirm that the tracks are not made from hippos, elephants, or maybe even a lost rhino.

Take plaster molds of any track you can get your hand on which would be suspect. I don't expect the foot prints to be around for long in the wet and nasty environment of the congo, but there will be plenty for people to take as evidence. Poop etc...

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
That picture is really small, but I would still like to see the actual video, if anyone has it. I mean the video must be somewhere on this internet. I'll try more sites.

-Jimmy-

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Here's a closeup of the original still. On the last frame, I changed the saturation and hue for a darker, more defined picture.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
For what its worth. This photo is almost identical to the Bowness Lake monster.

www.thisislondon.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is not a spelling flame - it's a request to correctly spell unusual names and taxonomy, scientific, or biological terms, or locations so that we may more easily search them.

How hard is it to look up Mokele-mbembe in wiki? To be more precise:

The term "Mokèlé-mbèmbé" comes from the Lingala language, and can be roughly translated as “one who stops the flow of rivers.”

So by not taking a little care, you're actually disrespecting another culture's language. Is that cool?

In addition, it makes ATS look like a forum for the elite as long as at least 95% of the words in the title are spelled correctly. (NOT)

That said, reading is hard.
Googling is hard.

Just spewing a bunch of lines into a message is much easier.

Three cheers for easy!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
This is not a spelling flame - it's a request to correctly spell unusual names and taxonomy, scientific, or biological terms, or locations so that we may more easily search them.

HAHA!

Looks like a spelling flame. Feels like a spelling flame. Just a sec yup smells like a spelling flame!

I tried to put a log in the lake and call it Mokele-Mbembe... But, it was still just a log

Be cool, it's a weird foreign word. How many Pigmies do you think spell english words perfectly? Would you feel disrespected if they tried and got inglish instead. "It's the thought that counts"... Not to mention most people here can't even spell ENGLISH words right (and I am not talking about the english as a second language crowd or the queens english crowd either)!

Now back to our regularly scheduled Dino discussion:

That photo of the Bowness Lake monster is amazingly similar to the Mokele frame! I had to double check to see if it was the same setting, but assume (in retrospect) anything from that hight would look similar...

<<   2 >>

join