It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exported Deadly Fungus Across The World - Inside His Lungs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
A Danish man who visited Vancouver Island as a tourists has triggered a worldwide alert. When he came back to Denmark he suddenly got sick. Doctors made big eyes when they discovered a rare fungus called Cryptococcus gattii growing inside his lungs. He has apparently exported this fungus all the way from Vancouver Island to Denmark. Because of this, medical experts have now issued a worldwide alert to doctors and tourists.

Sometimes-lethal fungus found on Canada's W. Coast

A tropical and potentially lethal fungus that has mysteriously made a home on Canada's temperate West Coast has prompted foreign medical experts to issue a worldwide alert to doctors and tourists.

The warning comes after a 51-year-old Danish visitor contracted the rare and life-threatening fungal infection on Vancouver Island. In the January issue of the Journal of Emerging Infectious Diseases, published monthly by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, doctors in Denmark — who eventually found clumps of the fungus growing in the man's chest — have cited the island as a potential health risk to travelers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Deadly fungus prompts B.C. travel alert

February 13, 2007

While chances of contracting C. gattii remain low, the airborne cells and spores can lodge deep in the lungs, leading to pneumonia. The fungus can also attack the central nervous system and result in meningitis.

[---]

The fungus also has infected dogs, llamas, ferrets, pet birds and horses, and the corpses of infected porpoises have washed ashore, making this one of the world's few, true multispecies outbreaks.

Human cases have emerged on the B.C. mainland and in Oregon and Washington state.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I've heard that someone in Canada have tried to downplay this whole story because they are scared of losing their tourist income...

Related links:
Wikipedia: Cryptococcus neoformans
Wikipedia: Meningitis

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   

The world is seeing virtual epidemics of now-deadly fungal diseases - and I've read that some fungi 'carry' other diseases too. Am trying to track down more sources on this last claim.

...More evidence that the microbes in our world are adapting to the electro-magnetic-bio-chemical alterations we have made to the planet.

Hope we can evolve too.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Strangely, I've only found these two articles in english. I've also read this story in danish newspapers. Some blame global warming for this fungus to appear on Vancouver Island. I assume this fungus will be found in other places too.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Four young people (age 15-20) have died of Meningitis near Copenhagen, Denmark within the last three weeks. They say the victims had never met each other, or had any contact they're aware of. Might not be related to this fungus, but it should be watched anyway. They have not found any source for this yet... - Lots of people near Copenhagen have rushed to doctors and hospital in fear of meningitis. One of the doctors said he alone gets 8-10 calls per hour about meningitis. Seems serious... or maybe it's just panic for no reason?

Sorry, no english source.

Ekstra Bladet: Fire unge døde af meningitis (in danish)
DR: Mange meningitis-henvendelser til lægevagten (in danish)
Berlingske Tidende: Fire unge døde af meningitis (in danish)
TV2 Nyhederne: Meningitisfrygt skaber travlhed (in danish)
B.T: Mange meningitis-henvendelser (in danish)

[edit on 2007/4/4 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Here's a new thread:

Potentially deadly fungus spreading in US, Canada

It's the same fungus, Cryptococcus gattii.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Strange. Never herad of this before until yesterday.

The assistant manager who works for me took the day off to take her mother to attend to a surgery for her aunt. They expected to remove a large section of lung due to cancer. When they got in there, they found this fungus growing.

They sewed her back up will send her home in a day or two with antifungal medications.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hmm. My mom died of lung cancer several years ago - and before she was diagnosed (with cancer) she was told she had a fungal infection in her lungs. ...Around that time there was a lot of health press about new types of fungi growing in showers - that could infect lungs.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
My grandmother died last fall, very healthy and did all her shopping during the day, was stricken with a strange illness affecting her lungs middle night and couldnt breathe was rushed to hospital, and died with a couple weeks. They said it wasn't pneumonia, or H1N5, nor cancer, it was a mystery. I wouldn't be surprised if many had this and didn't know it. Nor do I believe this new strain is natural.

Edit to add: If its spread out in the population being misdiagnosed as lung cancer and a variety of things, I think chemtrails might have something to do with it.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hmm. My mom died of lung cancer several years ago - and before she was diagnosed (with cancer) she was told she had a fungal infection in her lungs. ...Around that time there was a lot of health press about new types of fungi growing in showers - that could infect lungs.

Black mold? Black mold is a known carcinogen (or, it creates carcinogens).

We don't get black mold here in West Texas very often. We get mildew, but not mold (they look similar). My family does rental property, and we always have had concerned people who find a little black stuff growing somewhere (like when they don't clean their showers). We tell them, "spray it with bleach and wipe it away. If it grows back, calls us again".

Whenever its wet enough for it to grow, it is too cold. Love these desert extremes.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

A NEWLY discovered strain of virulent airborne fungi that has already killed several people in Oregon in the US Pacific North-west could reach California and other areas, scientists warn

Great find OP. Definatley worth keeping a watch on this.

www.straitstimes.com...

www.alertnet.org...

tvnz.co.nz...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

news.softpedia.com...

g

[edit on 23-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
the last month there has been a SHI%%%%%%%%%%% load of chemtrails,, like about 12 going across the sky..

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yeah, this is pretty weird. Never heard about that , and suddenly it rains (well, not exactly rains) deadly fungus news. I see no reason to panic though. Cases are very few and fungus - unlike viruses /bacteria - is more complex so supposedly is less prone to develop resistance to medication as fast.
Down side is that most anti-fungal medications are not easy on liver.
So - will wait and see where it goes. By the way - i do not think that there is anti-fungal vaccine, so at least this part of mass hysteria (that will surely follow) will not be there.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
My sister nearly died from some infection of the lungs a few weeks ago. She was down to 65% lung capacity and on life support in the ICU. My dad has something mysterious in his lungs, and they keep doing tests to determine what it is.

top topics

join