It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who should be blamed for Global Warming?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Temperature on earth is rising anually. St Martin Island, Bangladesh has lost 4 km square over 2 decades. Funny weather has been going on in this world. Prolong winter.. Prolong summer.. Whose to blame? Developing countries or Developed countries? Or Is it part of human nature that mankind always make things worse not better?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Not to be harsh, but your attitude is one we need to avoid. What does it matter who is to blame for global warming?
What we should be concentrating on - as a global community instead of a handful of countries - is finding an answer to the problem. Forget blame. Forget finger pointing. Rather, work together to come up with a solution.
Don't fall into the human abyss of denial.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
THe entire area of indochina and indonesia has been losing land over the past 100k years. 100k years ago there was a land bridge from indochina to australia. It is no longer there. Who is to blame? Developed countries or developing countries? Or all humans?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
i'm in the same general mind as watch_the_rocks

we, mankind, have been on a Learning Curve...
up till now, we just didn't know for sure,
and a lot of scientists aren't of the same opinion
as the newest "Official" stance.

But now, whether the 'Official Version' is correct or not,
a unified and organized effort needs to be implemented.

to either stop, remedy, reverse, or just mitigate the problems
of severe climate changes we [seem to] have brought on ourselves

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think if blame is to be placed... it needs to be squarely on the governments and big businesses of the developed countries. They could have enforced the construction of more environmentally-friendly cars, factories, products, processes, etc. but chose not to.

Maybe it was more expensive to do that in past decades and big business and government are so greedy, there's no way they would spend money where it's not necessary. That's how they became so powerful today... by hoarding the money instead of using it wisely. Look how they've suppressed scientific reports of global warming. They are only concerned with their own agenda and nothing else. They won't come clean (no pun intended) and change things unless it's forced on them.

I have plenty more opinions on this subject but I'll stop here for now. gotta get to work.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
it my understanding that nature is to blame.

temperatures are rising across the entire solar system.

there is a decent study on this by the name of Horizon Project

a single volcano is capable of creating 500% more green house gases in one day as compared to the entire industrial revolution to now.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glyph_D
it my understanding that nature is to blame.

temperatures are rising across the entire solar system.

there is a decent study on this by the name of Horizon Project

a single volcano is capable of creating 500% more green house gases in one day as compared to the entire industrial revolution to now.

Have you read the latest articles where scientists basically state that humans are responsible for global warming? The government has suppressed their reports for years.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
Have you read the latest articles where scientists basically state that humans are responsible for global warming? The government has suppressed their reports for years.

i have not read the article stating humans are to blame, but i have read the govt coverup.

could it be possible our very govt put aside thier greed, and suppressed the info to try to keep us from freaking out? if i knew of the "KILL SHOT" i would not spread that info around to carelessly. i would try to live and give others the opportunity to live.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

could it be possible our very govt put aside thier greed, and suppressed the info to try to keep us from freaking out? if i knew of the "KILL SHOT" i would not spread that info around to carelessly. i would try to live and give others the opportunity to live.

I doubt it.
If that is the case, it is pretty irresponsible. We could have started finding solutions to this problem ten years ago. Instead, half of Americans either don't believe in GW, don't think we have anything to do with it, or think it is too late. In other words half of America has zero interest in trying to remedy this problem.
The greed you mentioned is the reason for the GW cover up. When people are in the mindset that nothing is as important as personal gain and beating last years profit they will be willing to deny anything.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ok here is one of the articles:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Forging a Consensus
The mammoth U. N. report on climate change—the work of 3,700 scientists the world over—is out. Their conclusion: We made this mess.

Feb. 2, 2007 - Global warming skeptics take note. The science behind climate change looks ever stronger, and mankind is almost certainly to blame for resetting the global thermostat.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
annestacey-if that the case way is the temperature rising in the surrounding planets at/near the same rate as earth?

im sure we have a part in temp changes, but we are not the sole contributor.

Umbrax
I doubt it.
If that is the case, it is pretty irresponsible. We could have started finding solutions to this problem ten years ago. Instead, half of Americans either don't believe in GW, don't think we have anything to do with it, or think it is too late. In other words half of America has zero interest in trying to remedy this problem.
The greed you mentioned is the reason for the GW cover up. When people are in the mindset that nothing is as important as personal gain and beating last years profit they will be willing to deny anything.

there is no solution to the "killshot". 90% of this planet may be burned to a crisp if this does indeed take place. if their is a chance this may not take place there is no need to start alarming people. the only realistic step that should be takin is to obtain all the resources to insure a secure rebuilding of a society.

the american people do and believe what ever they are told. if you give these kind of people a reason to plunder and pillage they will with out any reinforcement. certainly thats a scenario any leader would try to avoid.

tho the greed is a strong argument for the coverup, it doesnt mean its the sole reason. im certain the "end times revelation" would not be given to corporations, only afew pepole in high up places would be givin the full disclosure. the corporations could have been encouraged to keep turning the gears with the promise of money, to help keep the truth from becoming clear.

keep the players playing to hide the fact the game is about to come to an end.

???just a theory???

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
No one should be blamed. Period. We need action. The Scientific Consensus is clear. Even Exxon and Dupont are in agreement. We should work towards solutions instead of pointing fingers.

www2.dupont.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

there is no solution to the "killshot". 90% of this planet may be burned to a crisp if this does indeed take place.

"It" is taking place and there is no reason why we shouldn't clean our act up and try to minimize the damage.

if their is a chance this may not take place there is no need to start alarming people.

Yes there is a need. People need to be educated so that we can have some control over our well being.
If you are a doctor you don't withhold information that your patient may die in fear that they will hold up the liquor store.
Now that the final word is out on GW are people running around like maniacs thinking the world is going to end? No.
Your theory of the government protecting us from ourselves makes no sense as the info is now out there and we aren't in the streets looting.

[edit on 5/2/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
umbrax im not talking about glaobal warming, i do believe our planet is getting warmer.

what im refering to is what the military calls the killshot. a solar flare that is going to rip this planets atmosphere to shreds. around the year 2012 our planet will cross into the galactic plane, when this takes place the sun (supposedly) will have a magnetic shift releasing large summs of energy at the outer orbits. this will cause many things to take place, one being a magnetic shift in earths polarity.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
You want to know who to blame for global warming?
One word. Humanity.

Yes it would be fun to blame big business but they aren't cutting down forests, harvesting and burning oil, releasing ozone-destroying agents into the atmosphere for the hell of it. They are doing it to make a profit from the citizens of (mainly) industrialised nations who buy their goods. Yes the everyday working man Joe Average who doesn't know or care about global warming.

Or you could look at the global warming deniers group and blame the sun or cyclic atmospheric patterns.

But as other ATSers have pointed out (pun not intended) finger pointing is not going to slow/halt/reverse global warming. Trying to shift the blame onto the U.S, Britain, Japan,Asgard etc isn't going to solve this problem.

The only thing that could stop global warming is the people and governments. I mean, imagine if even 20% of the U.S. citizens marched on Washington and demanded that something should be done about global warming. It would probably never happen but if it did I don't think even Bush could ignore that.

If you want to find the true perpetrator of global warming just look in the mirror. It's as easy as that.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
What is with all these blamming threads, seriously...

Enough with all this negativity it's getting old and annoying.

Let's stop blamming each others and work together to put an end to fossil fuels for good.

Let's forget the word and concept of global warming because honestly we do not need a earth ending threat to realise that we could better our selves and our planet and enviorment.

No more negativity....

Insted of thinking we need a nuke war to end all wars let's think insted that we need love to end all wars.

Same approch goes to any other problems we have in our reality...

Vanish the negativity and the paradox will be broken and our existence will truely be free again.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
How bout we embrace it. Global warming can't be all bad. Look global warming is a fact, it's happening, and we are eventually going to end up in ANOTHER ice age. That's right it has happened before the rise of the SUV. Instead of pointing fingers, lets deal with it.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:50 AM
link   
What will happend if a new ice age hit the earth? I do agree with the opinion that instead of pointing whose to be blamed, we concentrate our efforts in dealing with it. So my question is, are humans capable in dealing such an atrocious climatic change? Can you imagine what would happend to the poor countries? Are mankinds working towards its own destruction?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Not true...

Please check out...

www.fs.fed.us...

Terry Gerlach, US Geological Survey, Cascades Volcano Observatory

The greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2) is the most abundant gas (after water) emitted by volcanoes. Volcanologists estimate an annual global output of 200 million tons of volcanic CO2 per year. This natural source is balanced by natural processes that remove CO2 from the atmosphere-specifically by the weathering of rock into soil by atmospheric CO2 dissolved in rain and surface waters.

By comparison, human activities such as the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation produce 130 times more CO2 than all the world's volcanoes put together (adding 26,000 million tons of CO2 to the atmosphere each year, the equivalent of 8,000 Kilaueas (Hawaii's most active volcano). This comparison suggests humans are producing CO2 at a rate unprecedented in a geological history stretching back many millions of years. Clearly, there is need to think seriously about the implications of human CO2 emissions and to consider how current energy policy and land use practices may impact our collective future.

Now thats outta the way...

For those of you who say "we shouldn't be looking at who/what to blame, but working to resolve the issue"

How can you resolve something if you don't find the cause and stop it. It would be like trying to reduce crime without holding anyone accountable for crime!

Industry/Governments/corporates are the biggest cause in my opinion...

But we are all responsible... People always have to have the latest gadgets... latest clothes... most exotic foods... We bathe ourselves in a wealth of luxury and still think we are hard done by. We have gotten used to a lifestyle that the planet cannot sustain.

Of course we are all brainwashed consumers... We all need to take responsibility by doing things like protests, reducing your own carbon emissions, eating less meat, not replacing perfectly good consumer items just because a nicer one is on the shelves, etc...

We have to turn our backs on the lifestyle we have been spoon fed for the last 100 years...

Will this happen? I doubt it but i know im giving it a try!

And for those who say that the planet is just going through a natural warming cycle... Yes it is... but add the human impact to this and you have a real recipe for disaster!!

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Blame is destructive and wastes valuable time.

Trying to change the situation is like pissing up a rope.

Preplanning and organized preparation in all lands is the only true way to succeed and survive. But it is either all of us or none of us.

Mother nature does as she wills...if it is time to clean then maybe we should be glad that someone has the power to clean up some of these messes we've made. Particularly radiation toxicity in the groundwater, etc.

But there are any number of reasons/causes that are probably combining just right for the effects we are seeing - if we understand as best as we are able then we will certainly learn something and lose nothing.

One big possibility that isn't mentioned is that possibly one of the long dormant (10,000 yrs) volcanoes in Antarctica is brewing up a contribution to life on earth....where did we first notice major loss of sea ice? Ross Ice Shelf. We don't measure that continent as we do places such as Yellowstone, do we? How do we know the ground isn't rising and the ice thinning which would appear basically the same except in ice cores.

I am not saying this is anything but something worth thinking about - it seems more than possible to me!

Even if there were a MAJOR blowout down there...if the whole world knew and was ready...we could easily make it through the danger following without becoming extinct from ignorance and petty blame games. It would mean a year or perhaps two of famine but if Joseph saved Egypt from a seven year famine surely we can put enough provision by for 2 years!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join