It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth is Changing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Now not being one who is usually all green and energy saving etc etc i admit i have been quite blind to the problems being caused by global warming. What has hit me lately is the amount of press this subject is receiving both in the tabloids and a awfful lot on TV. Strangely this has come out a lot on TV especially over the last 2 weeks everywhere i turn there is something about global warming.

I woke up to this subject a few months ago and and realised how much we need to change for the benefit of this planet and future generations.

The weather around the globe lately is another cause for concern. It would seem weather patterns are very erratic and in some cases very extreme. This i would imagine is something to do with a changing world that we are living in.

It seems to me that due to the amount of airtime on TV this has taken up lately someone somewhere is really trying to get the message across.
I was watching on TV last night how small islands in the pacific are being sunk by the rising waters so much so that all its inhabitants are to become enviromental refugees in the next few years. This community has no electricity, power plants and most of all no cars. They were in interviews really upset at what the rest of the world (Us) has done to them ironically a community that in no way affects global warming.

I have just watched on BBC1 a program hosted by David Attenbourough a very respected presenter of wildlife programs here in the UK. This program was all about global warming and was eye opening to say the least. Very odd to see him presenting such a program he is usually chasing Lions and Gorillas around the world. The fact that it was the BBC which is more or less a goverment influenced channel makes me think it wasnt the BBC idea to make this program but more than likely they were told to

My questions are:

How bad have we let it go?

Have we reached a point of no return?

What are the true repercussions we could receive from this?

And most of all

How do we alert the whole world to stand up take notice and make action?

To any experts on this how could i and hopefully other readers on this site contribute to looking after this planet we call Earth

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Hi,

I too watched that programme last night but I still have a feeling that they are lying to us to stop the public from panicking.
I believe what David Attenbourough said is true, but things will happen sooner than what we were told, he mentioned yesterday that in 2020 the climate would heat up to 3 to 4c which would have a massive impact in the UK, this is true but I think he knows as well as I do that this will be happening sooner than 2020 but he cant say that on the BBC as it would make people panic. Panic is good as it is something that we need to do now as an emergency.

Hope I made sense.

Tea

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
You might want to read Ward and Brownlee's The Life and Death of Planet Earth. It's a fascinating look at their theories about earth's future.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4eyedsnake
he mentioned yesterday that in 2020 the climate would heat up to 3 to 4c which would have a massive impact in the UK,

Actually, the figure of 3-4c was for 2080.

At present, temps are rising by about 0.3c per decade.

However, most of the issues raised in the programme were problems we alrady face yet mysteriously seem reluctant to tackle:

There are more and more people living in the SE, using more and more water. Water doesn;t grow on trees. Where on earth do they tink it will all come from?

SE England is also still sinking as a result of glacial isostasy (and, in the case of London, additionally because the marsh on which the city is built is drying up due to water extraction).

We build more and more homes on flood plains. And then wonder why they get flooded. Duh!!!

We cover our gardens in concrete and then wonder why the drains can;t cope with all the extra run-off whenever it rains. Duh!!!

We complain about how high our energy bills are - yet leave the lights on all the time. Duh!!!

We rely on Russia for our gas and the Middle East for our oil. Wouldn't it be better if we didn't have to rely so much on either?

We have an infrastructure that grinds to a halt whenever it is wet, windy, dry, hot or cold. Forget GW - the biggest disaster that Britain faces is a repeat of the winter of 1963! What was an inconvenience then would kill tens of thousands today.

Roads are overcrowded because no-one walks - the car must be seen as a last resort not a first resort (in other words, you drive if you have to, not because you can)

The message is simple: we need to stop acting like silly halfwits and do something now! And then, if by chance, the worst GW predictions come true, we'll be better prepared for that too. And if they don't , well, we just have a better, safer, healthier country to live in. Is that really so bad?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
No it aint sad at all

Thing is silly things like having paving on your driveway wouldnt have even popped into my head until i watched that program. There is so may ways by being materielistic and vain we are punishing this planet.

My eyes are now firmly opened i just wish there was a way to open the eyes of every other person on this planet. I think when people realise it will be too late

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is something that also concerns me alot.
I live on Long Island where it snows every winter..i mean SNOWS!.
we havnt had any all winter until a few days ago, but before we could enjoy it, it melted all up within an hour. id say this isnt good.
My mother lives in Florida, and she brought to my attention that not to long ago, it was colder there then it was here...if something isnt done soon, im afraid we will reach this point of no return. it upsets me knowing that so many people that live on this beautiful planet dont see that its dieing before their eyes...and guess what..we are gonna go with it...
i hope that someone in power takes a stand and says or does somthing about this to make it worldwide known.
Also, Do you think any of this is due to a pole shift and not only global warming??
.:Kiliker:.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Saint, I'm so glad you posted this. It made me glad to know that someone had "opened thier eyes" so to speak. Now, as to your question, how do we get others to see what is happening, well, what made you open your eyes? Maybe that would work for others? What did make you a believer anyway, I'm very curious?

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
To be honest the same presenter "David Attenbourough" has just completed a series called "Planet Earth". That was a big eye opener to see how our selfish ways are resulting in animals of the world suffering.

Kinda made the guilt kick in real bad

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Saint: Well, David Attenborough is very respected throughout the world, you really can't refute what he says. So I can understand how that would change your thinking. Maybe we can contact him and ask if he's willing to devote his video to some folks who can distribute them around? Teachers maybe? Any other ideas?

And hey, it's OK to feel guilty, it's part of the "waking up process", painful but necessary because it wakes us up. We are already in the worst extinction ever in the history of the Planet, that we know of. This is fact, already many species have disappeared. Saint, I have to say I really admire your concern and willingness to try to do something about this problem. It's not easy at all to face up to the reality that we as human beings are guilty of not being good stewards of the planet and to try to right that wrong.

top topics

join