It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lightbulbs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Is it possible to modify a lightbulb so that it will not burn out. I remember my chem teacher telling us that if you make a lightbulb right it doesnt go out, like Franklins would still work today, but companies make them go out to make money. I have tried to find something but could not. If anyone knows an easy way pleese tell me.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think there was a early lightbulb that has not gone out since it was first lit in... eh some time long ago, its in a muesem I think. And yes, companies make products to wear out, why sell something that will last forever? Sure its handy for us consumers, but it would kill the buisness. A far as it goes to modify a lightbulb... Im not quite sure.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Franklin did not invent the lightbulb... And yes some of Edison's bulbs still work even today. If the lightbulb company made bulbs that never burnt out where would the money be in that. They would never be able to resale to people. Thats why they make structuarly weak filaments so that after a certain amount of time they burn out forcing the patron to return to the store and purchase more bulbs. Economics 101.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Kinote beat me by 30 seconds

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Why does a light bulb burn out?

[Edited on 13-12-2003 by HowardRoark]

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
hmm maybe some company will smarten up and make theys lightbulbs

just charge alot for them

PS:I have a solorpowered watch, its been stormy here for awhile, and the battery is draining, most of my lights are floresnet but i have a regulerlightbulb lamp.

would that give more charging power?

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Mind you thnk of it this way.....

If you were the only person selling lightbulbs that never died, then you could make a killing, and even though eventually your would reduce your cliental, beause of the huge world wide demand for them you would still be selling them for many years first.

You would be the lightbulb makers worst nightmere

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   
hehe yup,

i got another link for ya members.misty.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Heh, there is a www.centennialbulb.org...

From its www.centennialbulb.org... page

Installed: First installed at the fire department hose cart house in 1901. Then moved to fire station at First and McLeod, then to its present site in 1976 at the fire station, 4550 East Ave., Livermore, California

And even a bulbcam updated every 30 seconds:

www.centennialbulb.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:47 PM
link   
it wouldn't surprise me, they could prolyl jsut use a different metal for the element

it would go along with the whole people getting #ed over by big companies because they want to make money.... engines, electricity, etcd

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
light bulbs contain a vacuum. i would suppose that a perfect vacuum would yeild a light bulb with maximum life.

maybe.

maybe the metal evaporating is not dependent on a perfect vacuum.

a near-perfect vacuum would probably be much more expensive than a less-perfect one (like if it were mass produced).

i am not knowledgeable in these matters however.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I thought they contained a low pressure inert gas?

[Edited on 13-12-2003 by Kano]

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by weeman
Is it possible to modify a lightbulb so that it will not burn out. I remember my chem teacher telling us that if you make a lightbulb right it doesnt go out, like Franklins would still work today, but companies make them go out to make money. I have tried to find something but could not. If anyone knows an easy way pleese tell me.

Yes it is possible! The Parliament Buildings in Victoria Canada have light bulbs that are over 110 yrs old and they're still working.

I should add also that, light bulbs burn out much faster because they're forever being switched on and off all the time. If you left your light bulb on and never shut it off, it would last 40 times longer.

[Edited on 13-12-2003 by Sapphire]

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
I thought they contained a low pressure inert gas?

[Edited on 13-12-2003 by Kano]

Yes, most use a gas, argon or nitrogen to prevent the tungsten from oxidizing in air. When you heat up the filament, molecules of tunsten vaporize off. After a long time enough of the tungsten will vaporize off to make the filament weak. At some point it will break, usually when you turn on the light as Sapphire said and the metal quickly expands.

And yes you can get lightbulbs that last much longer. They are more energy efficient too. But they do cost a lot more. Here is an example: www.energystar.gov...

It is not that you save money because you have to replace these bulbs less often, but because they use so much less energy and you save on your electric bills. And the bulbs are coming down in price too.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
first off i never turn off my lights and the bulbs seem to go out really quickly...i think its a conspiracy between the bulb companies and the electric company just to make more money...hmmmm G E = genral electric

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
main bulb maker got more on this topic....

www.lighting.philips.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   
There are bulbs out that last 5 years and use less elelctricity to burn I have a few I buy them on sale as their about $5.00 a bulb. I buy mine more for the electrical savings than anything else.

join