It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Breaking) Large Number Of Dead Birds Closes Downtown Austin, TX

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It reminded me to "The Core". You remember the movie...

I hope they explain it soon, please, keep us informed.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Burning Teflon can kill birds INSTANTLY. Apparently, burning Teflon has little to no immediate impact on mammals.

Interesting...

I know wikipedia isn't regarded very highly on here in some instances, but I found a bit more info about Teflon here:

Teflon (Safety)
While Teflon itself is chemically inert and non-toxic, Teflon begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 460 °F(237 °C), and begins to significantly decompose above 660 °F (350 °C). These degradation products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans (see Teflon flu). By comparison, cooking fats, oils and butter will begin to scorch and smoke at about 392 °F (200 °C), and meat is usually fried between 400–450 °F (200–230 °C), but empty cookware can exceed this temperature if left unattended on a hot burner. A 1959 study, conducted before the FDA approved the material for use in food processing equipment, showed that the toxicity of fumes given off by the coated pan on dry heating was less than that of fumes given off by ordinary cooking oils.

A 1973 study confirmed the FDA findings and found that a 4-hour exposure to the pyrolysis products of butter in an uncoated pan at 260°C were 100% toxic to parakeets, whereas no deaths were observed for exposure to Teflon pyrolysis products until the Teflon coated pan was heated to 280 °C. Over the 40 years non-stick cookware has been in widespread use, there is only one published case of a minor, short-lasting health effect in humans linked to overheating non-stick cookware.

The "Teflon Flu" it talks about can be found at Wikipedia's Teflon Flu article.

While this does somewhat satiate my curiosity on the lack of human illness, I still think that there should've been someone who wasn't feeling too hot in the region...

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
As my brother lives in Austin ... and I just called him and he was still asleep ... @ freakin 12:22 in the day but that is besides the point lol .... Anyways he said he had not heard anything on the subject and he lives off of Congress Ave. Anyways will keep you up to date with any information that he recieves through the day ...

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
As my brother lives in Austin ... and I just called him and he was still asleep ... @ freakin 12:22 in the day but that is besides the point lol .... Anyways he said he had not heard anything on the subject and he lives off of Congress Ave. Anyways will keep you up to date with any information that he recieves through the day ...

Thank you Deus_Brandon.

I find it most interesting.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think it will probably be found that someone got sick of the pidgeons poopingon his car, and put out some poison bird feed. Simple explanation, and makes sense.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I live in Austin, Texas and have been following this story most of the day. Apparently, the dead bird count is around 63. Most were found overnight in the vicinity of 6th and 8th streets in downtown Austin. Early this morning, authorities closed off about ten blocks of downtown up and down Congress Avenue, the primary north/south street.

At a 12:30 pm CST news conference, City authorities noted that air samples had been tested and no chemical traces were found. The dead birds were being sent to the CDC in Atlanta and to Texas A&M University for further study.

No foul odors were noted in the air this morning.

The dead birds consisted of a mix of grackles, sparrows and pigeons, all of which are normal downtown 'residents'.

The City expected to open the closed blocks shortely after 12:30.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I forgot to mention the following. Grackles are a huge problem in the City during the year. Large flocks of these birds can be very loud and obviously very dirty. It is very common to hear local news stories about how the University of Texas is trying to chase off large flocks of these birds.

It would not surprise me if some downtown business owner tried to poison some birds and this was the result.

I will keep the forum updated as the afternoon progresses.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
I think it will probably be found that someone got sick of the pidgeons poopingon his car, and put out some poison bird feed. Simple explanation, and makes sense.

man, sensfan, you don't believe nuttin!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Right now fox news says the coast guard found a package testing positive for plastic explosivein Miami.

AND theres a poison gas leak in a building , its currently being evacuated. I didnt see where...

[edit on 8-1-2007 by Tiloke]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This sure has been a very active and strange news day, hasn't it? Massive odors in NYC and NJ, dead birds closing downtown business district in Austin, Texas, explosives found in the Miami port. And the day isn't even over yet.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Maybe NYC, Austin, Miami were drills to test the citys' emergency preparedness so that they will qualify for more federal funding? I should include Washington D.C. on this list also, thought it was strange when Pelosi gave the House the day off for a football game when the game is in the evening. Perhaps she was briefed about a drill in advance and thumbed her nose at Bush by giving the House the day off, it wouldn't be considered a valid drill without the House participating. Is it possible?

STM

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Anyone else remember from that movie Signs where the bird hit the invisible UFO in the sky and fell down? *is creeped out*

And they have a deleted scene that shows a dead bird too...

Maybe it was a flock of birds that hit a big invisible UFO in the sky.

[edit on 1/8/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Here's another possible explanation:

1,800 Species of Microbial Organisms in Texas Cities' Air

...including bioweapons-related pathogens - in the air above San Antonio and Austin, Texas. "We're surrounded by bacteria, and they are not necessarily friendly," says Gary Andersen, a staff scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Birds are our "Distant Early Warning" system for bad air - their body systems are more sensitive than ours, so they tend to die before we do.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

Its happened before. A strip mall in Redwood City tried the same tactic and aparently it did not kill them fast enough so they flew off and started dropping from the skies all over the city. Given the speed and onset and location, it seems more like a chemical exposure than Avian Flu, but god knows with that agile little bugger

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Birds are our "Distant Early Warning" system for bad air - their body systems are more sensitive than ours, so they tend to die before we do.

This is one of those rare instances when Soficrow and myself are on the same page. Birds have such a high metabolism that they tend to react alot quicker to chemical exposure 9hence the canary in the coal mine) long before you might see such an acute reaction in humans.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You may want to check out this thread aswell. Might be related? It seems the entire Earth is going insane.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Anyone see the Houston Gas cloud thread?

With Austin, NY, Miami and Houston all in the mix, I'm starting to believe this is all a drill.

What else accounts for 60+ birds...of three different species...dying in a two block area...in calm weather...and with no evidence of toxic impact on humans or other animals?

This FEELS staged.

[edit on 8-1-2007 by loam]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Anyone see the Houston Gas cloud thread?

With Austin, NY, Miami and Houston all in the mix, I'm starting to believe this is all a drill.

What else accounts for 60+ birds...of three different species...dying in a two block area...in calm weather...and with no evidence of toxic impact on humans or other animals?

This FEELS staged.

[edit on 8-1-2007 by loam]

I agree about the stage feeling. They picked a good day if they faked the leaks as well, with the whole comet + earthquakes + terrorism alert going on.

Depends what you believe. This is plenty of theories going around about the powers that be staging major world events to gauge the public and media responses.

My personal favourite, which i don't exactly believe but am interested in, is Project Bluebeam

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So, authorities say they have ruled-out avian flu but other tests are on-going. And then there's the massive bird die-off in Australia. They say thousands are falling from the sky dead:

Australia: Bye-Bye Birdie

What IS going on anyway???

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
I agree about the stage feeling. They picked a good day if they faked the leaks as well, with the whole comet + earthquakes + terrorism alert going on.

Wait, what comet? did I miss something?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join