It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2007 Predicted To Be The Warmest On Record

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Scitentist are predicting 2007 will be the warmest on record. This mostly do to El Nino. The Last El Nino year was in 2002. It is also being said that this is further evidence of global climent change.

LONDON - A resurgent El Nino and persistently high levels of greenhouse gases are likely to make 2007 the world's hottest year ever recorded, Britain's weather agency said Thursday.

The Meteorological Office calculated a 60 percent probability that 2007 would break the record set in 1998, which was 1.20 degrees Fahrenheit over the long-term average.

"This new information represents another warning that climate change is happening around the world," agency consultant Katie Hopkins said in a statement.

sorce

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
i'm guessing these would be the same scientists that said 2006 was going to be a record breaking year for atlantic hurricanes.

must be nice to have a job (meteorology) where you get awards for being right 50% of the time.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
i'm guessing these would be the same scientists that said 2006 was going to be a record breaking year for atlantic hurricanes.

must be nice to have a job (meteorology) where you get awards for being right 50% of the time.

Snafu
Yes I do remember those predictions. I tried to prepare for them. Got boards for all my windows and a few other things. I don't know if these are the same people though.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I honestly hope it is the warmest year on record. I dread the day i have to wake up in the morning and spend 20 mins shoveling my car out of the snow and scaping ice off of my windshield. btw, its 51 degrees in new york right now!!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Climate changes do a lot of damage to nature that means farming and to products.

The best way to see how bad climate change is affecting us all you have to do is chek your produce section in the markets.

Just like gas prices they go up and down.

Just because 2006 did not have the records on Hurracanes doesn't meant that is not going to happen.

Temperature in the gulf are keeping the east part of the country unusualy warm.

Warmer summers and steamier temperatures will put a dent on your cooling budget.

That means that the waters will not be getting any changes soon and the warmer they stay year around the worst it will be for huracane season.

People needs to get prepare, climate is changing under our own noses and our generation will see how these changes will affect us.

Is better to be ready than sorry.

[edit on 4-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
People, the jet stream is cutting right thr the middle of the country into Canada..that's not good. Its going to be over 60 degrees here, and i've been here all my life and never seen anything like this. I was just outside wearing shorts and a shirt for a cigarrette.

This is a prelude to a mini ice age according to the discovery channel, so for those who think this is great, it is not.
Now i hear that next week will be cooler---in the 40's here...that's still freaky since January is our coldest month...and i've yet to see any snow whatsoever this year. Even the plants and trees dont know what to do.
Strange stuff.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
People, the jet stream is cutting right thr the middle of the country into Canada..that's not good. Its going to be over 60 degrees here, and i've been here all my life and never seen anything like this.

well, maybe it's just that you never really noticed it before....because you never investigated it before you started believing in global warming. because if you do the research, you will find that the current position of the jet stream isnt exactly a new event....rare, yes, but it happens.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Right now 2005 holds the record for being the hottest year and I'm sure we all remember how that year went. I haven't heard how 2006 was I haven't heard much other than it was a record for the UK.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Right now 2005 holds the record for being the hottest year and I'm sure we all remember how that year went. I haven't heard how 2006 was I haven't heard much other than it was a record for the UK.

hottest year on record umbrax. keep in mind that we havent been keeping accurate scientific records for very long.

another point that people seem to forget is that we are still recovering from the min-iceage of the 18th and 19th centuries....it could be that we are just returning to normal.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
We are not derailing this thread into a debate on global warming.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My point is the last hottest year we had was brutal with climate related disasters.

[edit on 4/1/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
This is a prelude to a mini ice age according to the discovery channel, so for those who think this is great, it is not.

Dgtempe,
do you have any more information on the possibility of this mini ice age?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The trend here in the south has been very marked and noticeable even for the locals.

Is now warmer up to February and then colder for few weeks to be back to the beginning of spring.

The trees are budding early than usual for the last few years.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yes there may be some overall warming of the planet and no no one can definitively say what the cause is ... only possible factors.

That being said, the current weather can be attributed directly to a jet stream sitting higher than usual and warmer than usual waters in the Pacific. I guarantee you winter is not "over" especially for us in the midwest. The jet stream will, at some point, drop back down and give us below freezing temperatures before the season is over. I hear reports from the East and Northeast about cherry blossoms and turtles hanging around, but here in the burbs of Chicago all I see is some greener grass and perhaps more geese. Seems like the wild and plant life around here know winter isn't over.

So I'll make a prediction ... winter is not over for me here near Chicago.

Wow this meteorology thing is easy!

[edit on 4-1-2007 by Fiverz]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The trend here in the south has been very marked and noticeable even for the locals.

Is now warmer up to February and then colder for few weeks to be back to the beginning of spring.

The trees are budding early than usual for the last few years.

i dont know where you are marg, but i grew up in georgia, and for as long as i can remember, we always had problems with early blooming of the peach crop....farmers are always having to rush to protect the early blooms from the next killer frost.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
We are not derailing this thread into a debate on global warming.

My point is the last hottest year we had was brutal with climate related disasters.

that is not my intent...i'm simply pointing out other plausible possibilities. did i attack anyone? did i call GW a farce? no, i simply brought up other possible explanations. is there so little latitude now because of trolls that we cant deviate a little while discussing the topic...especially if it is directly related to the topic?

DCP

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The picture of Washington crossing the Delaware with all the ice is because we were in a mini ice age.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I know this is diverging a bit from the topic, but I find this interesting

During the period 1645–1715, right in the middle of the Little Ice Age, solar activity as seen in sunspots was extremely low, with some years having no sunspots at all. This period of low sunspot activity is known as the Maunder Minimum. The precise link between low sunspot activity and cooling temperatures has not been established, but the coincidence of the Maunder Minimum with the deepest trough of the Little Ice Age is suggestive of such a connection [21]. The Spörer Minimum has also been identified with a significant cooling period during the Little Ice Age. Other indicators of low solar activity during this period are levels of carbon-14 and beryllium-10 [22]. The low solar activity is also well documented in astronomical records. Astronomers in both Europe and Asia documented a decrease in the number of visible solar spots during this time period.

from en.wikipedia.org...

Now what's weird is that if there IS something to that correlation, temperatures today are unexplained because we are in a solar minimum for sunspots/solar activity right now (even though there was a large one and an X-class flare just last week).

More info here: solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

I think there is more to our planet's climate then what we alone are doing ... I think there's natural cycles, yes human interaction, as well as unexplained forces/correlations that feed into that equation.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
being warm is a good thing!

the heating oil need is decreased, so that means a lot of people can afford things they couldn't normally buy
...as their money used to just 'go up in smoke'

with the present warmth, attributed to El Nino, the nations gasoline production is up
because the petroleum wasn't diverted to heating fuel.

with ample gas supply, the retail at the pump is less, despite OPEC
producing less oil which normally raises the price of gasoline.

more of the homeless will survive the usual brutal winter cold
as will stray cats & dogs.

i'll wager that the hedge funds & futures markets are going to get 'whip-sawed' by this
2007 deviation from historic averages in the weather,
Until this warm winter phenomena becomes a long term trend
the less-monied risk takers should really stay out of hedge funds & futures contracts.

let's see if a La Nina immediately follows this El Nino warmed 2007
www.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
We should be buried in two feet of snow. Instead .. my creeping phlox are freak'n blooming! Confused little guys!!

Seriously .. it's going to be one heck of a hurricane season if the ocean waters don't cool down! Quick and hard is how we will get hit.

DCP

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
question:
If they have found dinosaur bones on ever continent and tropical fossils at the same level If you believe in evolution that means basically every place on earth had a tropical or near tropical environment.(especially if you believe dinosaurs were cold blooded) So wouldn't that mean that the whole earth was warmer in the past, because when i look out my window i do not see anything near tropical weather. Wouldn't that mean that temperature on the Earth is always in flux from near all tropical to near all ice?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join