It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austrian tatzelwurm?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
From wikipedia.org

The Tatzelwurm is a worm-like cryptid, reported to live in the several areas of Europe, including the Austria, Bavaria and Switzerland Alps. In some circles, it is classified as a variety of lesser dragon.

It is known by several names in different regions.

Stollenworm (Tunnel Worm)
Bergstutzen (Mountain Stump)
Springwurm (Jumping Worm)
Daazelwurm
Praatzelwurm
Arassas (French Alps).
Reports indicate that the creature has a snake-like body between 2 and 6 feet in length, with two clawed front legs, but no hind legs. Local folklore holds that the Tatzelwurm is able to defend itself by expelling poisonous fumes that are capable of killing a human.

One claimed photograph of the Tatzelwurm exists, it was taken in 1934 by Swiss photographer named Balkin who took a photo of what he thought was a very peculiar log. When the camera flashed, the "log" darted away.

Does anyone have any more info on this cryptid? I'd especially like to see the picture that's mentioned in the wikipedia article. Thanks

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I've submitted a source of information on this subject which includes the photograph you seek. One drawback with this source is that the text in in German.
Hopefully you can acquire a translation to grasp the content of the article.
Tatzelwurm

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Would you be so kind as to repost the link? It doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm really interested in that photo that was taken.

Ok I think I found the page with the picture. I have no idea why the link doesn't work directly, it seems to be the right address, but anyway...

That's the pic I found and quite honestly, it looks sooo fake and cheesy. It's very disappointing.

Anyway, anymore information on the tatzelwurm would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by zephyrs]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Sightings and information concerning the Tatzelwurm seem to be vague on most of the cryptozoology websites. This may be due to a waning interest and lack of any repeat sightings. Cryptoid amphibians/reptiles tend to be placed low in the listings and the Tatzelwurm including the other regional namesakes have scant mention or no mention at all.
Crypto websites do angle their interests at the most popular cryptoids and this is understandable because sea creatures, hominids and the like are more contemporary mysteries.
I have found a vague source, with no further information, that a tatzelwurm was spotted as recently as 2006. I am unable to find any more about this foggy report and sighting.
One website stands out above all the others in reporting on this mysterious creature and This is the link

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I saw that site the other day when I was bored and searching for info. The theory of the tatzelwurm being a salamander or some type of link between snakes and lizards is rather interesting; so is the correlation site makes between the decline of sightings and the creature's possible extinction.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a few years ago a cave was discovered in former yougoslavia containing many types of insects amhpibians etc... and i'm pretty sure one of the amphibians description was exactly that one i will look it up

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thanks, it'd be cool to get some more info on this. Maybe I'll google around some later and see if I turn anything up too...

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
bumpin the thread. would like to know if hvitserk found the link or whatever was being looked for in relation to this story.
very interesting cryptid

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
My guess goes along with others on it being an amphibian. Ever heard of a siren? Long snake-like amphibian with two legs up by it's head. The greater siren is kinda large. A few different species exist is the U.S., I don't know about other places, like Europe. My guess though, a European species of siren.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by Uplifted]

join