It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invasion of Privacy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
First we got the red light cameras so then when you ran a redlight, you would get sent a ticket in the mail, but what they have developed it into is putting up cameras everywhere so that you go 2 mph over the speed limit and they are sending you a ticket, no cop, nothing. Did I mention these have a 10% error rate. That to me says that we should give every student who got a 90, a 100, give every student who got an 80 a 90....etc. They have passed this and these cameras are being put up as we speak. So is 90% acceptable when your charging people for it?

The judge said the way the program operates in San Diego is illegal. And it basically operates the same way everywhere across the country

Looks like California is the state with common sense for once...
www.usatoday.com... ms.htm

In many cases, safety can be improved without the use of red light cameras. In Mesa, when three-second yellow lights were extended to four seconds, violations dropped 80 percent. At two intersections in Fairfax, Virginia, increasing the time of yellow lights from four seconds to 5.5 seconds decreased the number of red light violations by 96 percent.

goldwaterinstitute.pjdoland.com...

So why don't we increase the yellow light length instead? Because the government needs MORE MONEY and because they aren't taxing North Carolinians enough already! Well welcome to 1984, a couple years too late.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Actually, speed detection devices (all of them) can be up to 25% inaccurate, depending on the rate of acceleration or deceleration. That's just one form of invasion of privacy that pisses me off. Did you know that you can fail a urinalysis drug test from eating poppy seed bread?

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I wouldn't consider getting a urinalysis an invasion of privacy, you have to agree to it before it is carried out, unless you have a toilet with a chemical detecting system posing as a common toilet bowl freshner installed at work.

..but yeah poppy seads cause false positives

[Edited on 18-11-2003 by MrRadicalEd]

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I always wondered how a cop travelling towards you and you travelling towards him can get a 100 percent accurate reading when the radar beam hits you and goes back to him the distance is closer because both cars are moving. Does the radar gun have the computer power to calculate this? Same goes if only you are moving towards him. Is this why most cops are stiing still when they use it or are they just eating donuts and drinking coffee?

Not that I get alot of tickets of course

I don't like traffic camera anyways because if a cop is not involved, you shouldn't be charged. That's their job, not a guy sitting at a computer.

[Edited on 11-18-2003 by JFetch]

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRadicalEd
I wouldn't consider getting a urinalysis an invasion of privacy, you have to agree to it before it is carried out, unless you have a toilet with a chemical detecting system posing as a common toilet bowl freshner installed at work.

..but yeah poppy seads cause false positives

[Edited on 18-11-2003 by MrRadicalEd]

You have no choice, if you want a job, in most cases.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yes I realize that fact, but you whether you get that job or not depends on your decision to go through with the test. Now if the agency that performs the tests sells the information to another party that might be something else. If I were to apply at my local walmart I know they test for drugs. If I really wanted that job I would go through with it(I have nothing to hide) but since its illegal in the US it will show up in the test if I were to apply. At the end its still up to you to decide

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
On the topic of uranalysis, not only do most jobs require them, but some colleges do random drug testing of students, and if you fail one test, you get kicked out. Also alot of companies have implemented a system where if you are injured on the job, you are immediately tested, in some cases the same day while still on the clock.

I really hate to say this, but if you think for once second that you still have any kind of privacy, your living in a fictional world. Phone taps, GPS tracking, Cameras, RIFD tags, Internet snooping, there truely is no real sense of privacy left.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Where can I sign up for the GPS personal chips?!?!

I want people to be able to track me! **Hiding from Marlin Perkins**

LOL

Anywho ~ there are many of those devlish lights in town here and not only are they innacurate, they DON'T prevent people from speeding or running red lights! Not a bit! I watch them speed and run EVERY time! And if you notice, those intersections have reduced yellow light time. Its a conspiracy to raise money. I just wish I owned stock in the company that invented them!

I love it when technology is an excuse to have lazy citizens and cops!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:40 PM
link   
yeah i agree ... increase the yellow light !

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
In most cases, the companies that are contracted to do the monitoring and admin , keep up to 80 percent of the proceeds, depending on the contract. And yes, they lower the yellow times, to increase the pop rate.

Some states are having cases brought to courts with the fact that there is no officer to witness the offence, and some courts are forgiving the offence if actually taken to the trial date. The judges are biased against the companies doing the 'business'.

And have you ever noticed all the skid marks in front of those intersections, a month or so after they get put up?!

[Edited on 18-11-2003 by smirkley]

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
LOL

Or the little pile of safety glass and bumper shards by the side of the road as people stop for the yellow and get rear ended.

Thanks for mentioning the profitting by the companies who install them. Rather a high margin. Dam! Where is the # to my financial advisor!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 11:48 PM
link   
"I wouldn't consider getting a urinalysis an invasion of privacy, you have to agree to it before it is carried out, "

There is no reason in nature that businesses should be dictatorships any more than governments. There are businessmen like Joe Stalin and Adolf Hitler, who test pee without probable cause, and tape all telephone calls, and bug and videotape employees; and then there are a small number of decent businessmen.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 04:33 AM
link   
"Styn said the San Diego program is flawed because it allows the private company that installs and operates the red light cameras to collect a portion of the $271 fine for each ticket issued. The company's cut was about $70 of each ticket." Aww aint that pretty
who knew it would come down to capital eh lol. Plus 90% accuracy .. so that 10% may add another 2 mph needlessly on some peoples speeds, thus gaining them a ticket

join