It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

earth has given us a gift!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I haven't found any new postings of this, but Earth has just given birth to a new Island ! Its cool to know that the earth actually does its own thing....
I am going to sail down an claim it for myself! who knows in a few decades, it might become another Hawaii.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
In a few decades it will be submerged in sea water, so if you do bother going there I'd make you living area water proof.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think the point of the post is to show how amazing Our world is. I believe She is an absolute wonder, how ever-changing. Our Earth goes thru the many phases of life & death. Some islands sink into the oceans darkness while others are pushed up from the bottom to spring forth new life. God, I love it.

Peace. K*

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Yeah,our earth is quite remarkable. Why most people don't appreciate it is beyond me.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Pretty interesting, although I must wonder why anyone would want to own a completely volcanic island. Still it will look pretty good in the future when life settles on it I'd say.

Yes it is quite amazing to see a new island.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The Earth is not an entity, and thus cannot be said to "give us" anything at all.

If the Earth was capable of this, then it would have already gotten rid of us and the rest of this fantastically thin shell of what basically amounts to slime that has started growing on, and infecting, it's surface.

Harte

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Earth giveth, Earth taketh away? Heh heh I wonder how long that island will last with the ice caps melting.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
The Earth is not an entity, and thus cannot be said to "give us" anything at all.

Really? Hmmmm..

Earth

I guess it depends on what you want to believe.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Really? Hmmmm..

Earth

Not really. From your wiki link:

His initial hypothesis was that the biomass modifies the conditions on the planet to make conditions on the planet more hospitable – the Gaia Hypothesis properly defined this "hospitality" as a full homeostasis...

...This theory is based on the simple idea that the biomass self-regulates the conditions on the planet to make its physical environment (in particular temperature and chemistry of the atmosphere) on the planet more hospitable to the species which constitute its "life". The Gaia Hypothesis proper defined this "hospitality" as a full homeostasis. A simple model that is often used to illustrate the original Gaia Hypothesis is the so-called Daisyworld simulation.

As you can see from the above, the Gaia theory is, and has always been, a theory of action of the biomass (the "slime" I referred to,) and not the planet itself. It is the planet which is, of course, responsible for the formation of the island mentioned in this thread and thus the Gaia theory has absolutely no bearing on it.

Of course if you want to believe something (as you said,) you can. I don't believe in fairies or unicorns either.

Harte

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Of course if you want to believe something (as you said,) you can. Harte

Phew!! I sure am glad I got your blessing!!
I was going to believe what I choose to anyway.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

If the Earth was capable of this, then it would have already gotten rid of us and the rest of this fantastically thin shell of what basically amounts to slime that has started growing on, and infecting, it's surface.

Harte

I believe the Earth is very much alive. She's chock full of it, You just refuse to see it. That's why it's so easy for people to pollute and destroy Her, She's an 'IT'. 'IT' even has it's own 'heartbeat'- the Schuman Resonance*. I also believe Earth has 'gotten rid of Us' a few times over and that We're probably closer to the next cleansing than I'd like. I rather like the thought of Earth as a living entity. It beats the hell out of - a big rock covered with slime. I guess it's subjective.

Peace. K*

*Before everyone looks up the SR, I do know what it is. You say potato, I say potahto.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

gaia?? LOL!!!!!!!
A trip down memory lane to a less enlightened time.

The pagan religion of gaiaism had its 15 minutes of fame in the 1970's. There are still a handful of adherents, of course, and a few crackpot web sites, but no credible scientist gives any creedence to it whatsoever. The biological and earth sciences have moved wwaaayyyy beyond gaiaism. It now lies on the garbage heap of discarded theories.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
gaia?? LOL!!!!!!!
A trip down memory lane to a less enlightened time.

Oh,yeah,we're just incredibly intelligent nowadays!! I mean to tell ya...
Whatever.

join