It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of the Hippocampus!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
hi,
The mythical ancient greek Hippocampus is one of my favorite crypto animals.~
for all that don't know what a mythical hippocampus is:

Hippocampus

Scultpture:

I was reading the ATS topics when i found one where a i see this link:

Weird sea creature link.

Can be possible that the ancient greek hippocampus could be a kind of giant seahorse(modern hippocampus), already extint?! the creature related in the link can evenctualy be one? or the one that inspired the old myth?, what you ppl think about it?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The hippocampus is supposed to be pulling poseidon's chariot, and poseidon is the god of the sea, in the tripartite division of existence into the heavens, earth, and ocean, with jupiter, pluto, and neptune ruling over them respectively.

The thing is, there are some suggestions that poseidon wasn't orignally a sea-only god. His worship is associated with the horse, with their thundering hooves, who causes earthquakes and rules with the trident. Its possible that poseidon simply represents the primary god of one group of people, who then became over-come, whether by force or anything else, by another people that primarily worshiped zeus. That would explain poseidon, a water god, being associated with things like horses, exclusively land animals.

Also, its possible that the greeks and romans dreamt up the idea of the 'hippocampus' upon seeing regular sea horses.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
maybe a huge seahorse mutations can happen in every animal

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonLotus
maybe a huge seahorse mutations can happen in every animal

That was my first thinking about this, after red the article of that sea monster, the draw represents a kind of sea horse, could it be a giant one? due to some kind of mutation or something like that.

it's interesting to relate that possibility with the poseidon hippocampus.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
...Also, its possible that the greeks and romans dreamt up the idea of the 'hippocampus' upon seeing regular sea horses.

yes, that can be possible. due to they'r sea god worship, and seeing normal sea horses, they can had especulate about a huge one.

join