It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Nation At War - Racism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I just submitted this Business Ethics assignment and then I turned around and posted it to a Future Teachers forum when a question was posted about home schooling and thought I'd share it with all of you. Racism is just another form of war within a nation through intelligent people and ignorant people who just can't see it.

What I posted :

I was home schooled for High School and I would love to share a Business Ethics assignment with this forum. This should show exactly what home schooling can do for a student if they are taught right.

Business Ethics - Discrimination At Work

I see racial ignorance in the work place and outside of work through delivering pizzas and as a Security Officer. I also see racial discrimination due to this and because of a lack of intelligence to both parties that are doing the discriminating and those being discriminated against. I would like to say that I am not now, nor have I ever been a racist nor have I tolerated racism. I do not believe that a person's skin color, their gender, their sexual preferences, or their ethinical history should be a decision to discriminate against anyone.

Having said all of this I know that racial discrimination does happen. Do I think that affirmative action can be a good thing? I think that if it was done properly and with good judgement that it could definately be a good thing. However, over the small amount of time that I have been on the face of the planet Earth I have seen a major negative trend towards affirmative action having gone to the far end of the spectrum.

In this day and age, affirmative action has gone to the extreme point of where a single white male individual has more luck in working at McDonald's than getting a job at a company that has sought to be "politically correct" in it's hiring and managerial structure, no matter if the white male has more experience, more schooling, or more intelligence. On top of this I see that reverse discrimination is just as bad as discrimination. If you are not a part of the solution you are a part of the problem in my opinion.

I am a single white male, and I have had reverse dicrimination thrown in my face very recently. Being a Security Officer I had a black female come into the Hospital where I work under the Baker Act, which is a mandatory hold until a psychiatric evaluation can be done at a psychological facility after medical clearance through our Hospital. This woman was totally belligerant toward the 3 white male Police Officers that brought her in, towards myself and other white staff, and even towards a black Security Officer who she called an Uncle Tom.

Once the situation was de-escalated and the Police Officers left I was left to monitor several Baker Act patients and this woman chose to throw that I was a "white man" working for the Man and keeping her a prisoner, blah, blah, blah. I turned around and asked her, if I once used racial or ethincal slurs towards her. She stated that no I had not. I also asked her if I had used foul language towards her. She stated that I had not. I then asked her then why would she bother to use those type of things against me and she apolgized and we actually talked and she calmed down even further.

This may not be a perfect example of the racial discrimination that the assignment was referring to, but was that such a difficult thing for me to do? Not at all. I really can not stand racial discrimination, or the use of the "race card" in someone's defense when it was never played against them in the beginning. My opinions about racial discrimination, racial profiling, and racism in general hold to my standards of my original assignment in Unit 1. I see racism as a total waste of time in my opinion. I do not judge a person on the color of their skin, I do not judge a person at all, until they choose to do something stupid like hurt myself or other individuals I care about.

A nation divided against itself can not stand

[edit on 22-10-2006 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well said.

I like your example. Rather than firing back with something ignorant, you chose to difuse the situation by pointing out her error in a polite manner. Some people are ignorant, there is nothing we can do about it. Some will continue to be believe they are better than others due to their color of their skin. As frustrating as it may be, I don't see a lot that can be done with it. Nations are diverse, and be coming more diverse each year.

I come from a small town where a high percentage of the population are white. Racism is not something I have had to deal with on a daily basis, but it is certainly something I have uncovered. It is unfortunate for people to be discriminated against due to the color of their skin, and noone should have to tolerate it.

I do agree that the pendulum has come back in the other direction, and gone a little to far. White people have been discriminated against because they are white, and it has been percieved on some occasions to be less of an issue than if the person had of been black or of a different ethnic culture.

The only solution to this I feel is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you want to be treated fairly with respect and dignity, than treat others that way.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I see this every single day as well and it's disguisting.

I've seen Muslim people being beaten in the streets, called 'terrorists', spat at and all a menagarie of other hateful things

In Britain, I feel that the racism is a part of some peoples lives, they find it funny and 'hard' to discriminate against people that are different than themselves.

Why can't people just realise that we are all people, we all breathe the same air, share the same planets, feel the same feelings.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Don't waste your time worrying about racial discrimination. Set goals and pursue them with all you have. You will encounter all forms of discrimination in this world. You can either spend your time being bitter about it or you can roll with the punches.

The laws are stacked against you, but that shouldn't matter to someone who will not be denied what is rightfully his.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Well said.

I like your example. Rather than firing back with something ignorant, you chose to difuse the situation by pointing out her error in a polite manner. Some people are ignorant, there is nothing we can do about it. Some will continue to be believe they are better than others due to their color of their skin. As frustrating as it may be, I don't see a lot that can be done with it. Nations are diverse, and be coming more diverse each year.

Why? why are we becoming more diverse? I think it is the NWO trying to destroy the nation state and replace it with a polyglot people that eventually will only have allegiance to the UN or some related organization or world government.

If what I say is true then maybe we need to speak out about it because it is not a positive thing.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I see this every single day as well and it's disguisting.

I've seen Muslim people being beaten in the streets, called 'terrorists', spat at and all a menagarie of other hateful things

you have? and you did not report it? did you step in to protect him, shield him with your own body?

your sentiment is admirable but I somehow doubt you witnessed any such event.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo

Why? why are we becoming more diverse? I think it is the NWO trying to destroy the nation state and replace it with a polyglot people that eventually will only have allegiance to the UN or some related organization or world government.

If what I say is true then maybe we need to speak out about it because it is not a positive thing.

Its a culture war....no one will see this until it is lost in western europe. Hopefully, we eill learn and get tougher immigration policies in place.

read pat buchannon's new book.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Why is more diverse viewed as a negative?

I can understand that the current state of immigration in the United States is problematic, but it is not the only contributer of diversity.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

you have? and you did not report it? did you step in to protect him, shield him with your own body?

your sentiment is admirable but I somehow doubt you witnessed any such event.

Yes, I did report it actually, I'm hardly going to do nothing am I?

When I was at school, it happened all the time, anyone who wasn't white was discriminated by a bunch of Chav-nazi wannabes.

You don't have to believe what I say, that's the wonder of the internet.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
We should be striving for Unity through Diversity. What I mean is, you draw on the diversities between the different groups of people. It can be done as it's similar to a marriage between a man and woman. Does the man do everything one way? Of course not and that's why the woman completes him and adds to him and vice versa.

It can't alaways be done and it can't always be done to perfection since there's no such thing as a perfect world, but if people even tried they might be surprised to see how easy it is to do this.

Why is it that a white man, a black man, a hispanic, a Hebrew, an oriental man can not get along? It sure isn't because they didn't try. It's because the media focuses on those few stories about racism and explodes it out of proportion and because people seem to only want to read the headlines. Am I saying the media does this on purpose? Well, to an extent, yes. I don't mean this is some extremely large conspiracy of the media, although I can see how it might appear that way and sometimes it can be that way.

What sells a newspaper? Sex, controversy, death, mayhem, destruction, racism.

Why is this then? It's because people would much rather read about a 5 car pile up and the mass destruction than some story about a 50 year old woman and her kitten and gradnson who made a positive change.

Don't get me wrong, I like Monster trucks, guns, TNT, and a little bit of carnage like every red-blooded American, but who needs that all the time? I sure don't.

We as a society need to be focusing on the positive changes and how to make life better than focusing on negative things and how to tear our own society apart.

So we see a story in a newspaper or the 6 O'clock news about a terrorist attack that has killed 25 people from a car bomb or some other stupidity. What positive things can we find from it? You see that the survivors are drawn closer together. You see that now we have learned not to just get in our car without looking it over. You learned that you need a car alarm so no one can tamper with it. The list goes on and on.

Do I mean to say it takes this drastic a thing to happen to learn these thing?

No.

What I am saying though is not to JUST focus on the negativity that has happend, but to find what positives about the story you can and try to learn from it. The same goes for some ignorant red-necks dragging a black man behind a truck in Texas, like what happened a few years back. Quite obviously these men don't see the value of life, or racial equality, or intelligence now do they?

Well, not every person can be gotten to when it comes to racial harmony...but we can try. You can try, I can try, the person next door can try.

I'm going to end this post with a link to a video and song on YouTube about acceptance and harmony. I don't know how many people have seen this but I love the song and the message the video had about it.

The name of the band is "The Sick Puppies" and the message that is being conveyed here is that one hug can change someones life.

By the way, I almost went and got cardboard and found a spot on the street to do this, but time just didn't allow for it and I may still do it. A very powerful message if you listen to the words of the song. This is now My favorite song of all time. I played this literally 500 times already and I'm listening to it right now as I type this message of peace.

"Sick Puppies" on YouTube : Free Hugs. A message of peace and harmony in a time when hatred is all around : Juan Mann/One Man

[edit on 23-10-2006 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Great post Spartankingleonidas I agree, and have the same feelings about racism being a waste of time. The only thing I don't agree with is the terms reverse dicrimination or reverse racism that lady was being racist. A racist doesn't have to mean a white person hating anyone who isn't white it could also mean a black person hating anyone who isn't black. The word reverse should never be used just cause it was a white person who was discriminated against

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
We need peace now more than ever in a world gone wrong. I am not saying I am perfect, nor am I saying that because I am an American I am special. Not in the least.

I am a human being first.

We all have red blood.

We all pee yellow.

We all have skin.

We all have grey brain matter, although some sure seem to have less than other.

We all have a soul, even though some don't seem to possess one.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

We all pee yellow.

All great points, but that one just seems wrong. If you have a healthy diet, your 'pee' as you so elegantly put it, is clear.

Just had to say!

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Racial discrimination will never go away because it has become a industry that too many people make a good living from. The only way that we could get rid of it would be to stop giving those who do it all of the news and print. I think that we should all have a employment number that has only our qualifications, work record ,age and citizenship. Why does anyone need to know what race you are to get a job.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Bigotry is going to be with us forever, or at least until we all look the same, speak the same, worship God the same way. As long as there are any differences what so ever, there will be bigotry...be it sexism...racism...homophobia...whatever'ism you can think of. It'll always be around us...

All we can do to combat it is to not practise it ourselves, the Golden Rule is a wonderful guide.

Bigotry is a hate that will never die. It can only be lessened.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Great posts, SpartanKingLeonidas!

Originally posted by Kramthenothing
The word reverse should never be used just cause it was a white person who was discriminated against

I agree with this. The notion that racism is white on black causes a lot of problems.

I also agree with factfinder38 and seagull that we can never really obliterate racism, just as we can never rid the world of hatred or any other single practice. What we can do is educate ourselves and others and be aware.

Lots of great and interesting ideas in this thread. Good read.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their comments on My thread whether you agree with them in whole or not. I do think that racism, bigotry, and hatred can be gotten rid of, not by actually doing anything, but why we don't do.

Don't spread racism.

Don't spread bigotry.

Don't spread hatred.

Instead, why don't we teach love, peace, and happiness?

It can be spread, shared, and taught if we only try.

Let's keep this thread going. Post your ideas and suggestions to this thread and keep the ideas going to spread around the World.

By the way, I posted My Business Ethics assignment on a few other websites.

Spread the message to stop the hatred.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I believe that for the most part humans are very intellegent animals, but animals still. Perhaps with something divine added, perhaps not. As animals, we are all still under the influence of the base instincts that are part of our physical genetic heritage. We are at the core selfish, savage, and greedy becasue that is how a species survives in this universe. I think that Racism is instinctual.

For millions of years, in the survival mode that was the proto-human existance in as well as for most animals, almost anything or anyone different was bad. Any creature that didn't look like you was more than likely trying to eat you, or kill you and take your stuff (water hole, cave, woman, the food you just killed, etc...), or trying to keep you from doing the same to them. Of course there were/are exceptions and we can probably thank those for most of the progress we have made so far.

Yes, I think we have made progress. We can choose to rise above our animal instincts and alter our own thinking on how we behave. We can think our way around what our hardwired instincts tell us and act differently. If you believe in a spirit or soul, then maybe that is why we are able to get beyond the animal.

We don't have to be racist, but I think it's a decision we each make for a variety of reasons and enforce upon our animal selves. The instinct is there. We choose and most it seems aren't always strong enough to make the positive choice.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I have spent half my life travelling. During that time I have had the opportunity to live in many countries and experience many different cultures. This has not always been easy -- accepting the differences, but it has made me more tolerant and accepting. More people should travel, and by that I mean truely experience a culture, not a safe homogeneous package tour.

I have high hopes for the future, as many more young people travel independently these days and embrace the differences.

Travel will open your mind and increase your understanding. It has also made me more aware of the plights of peoples around the world. Places on the news are more relevant and real if you have been there or travelled close.

Just my 02 cents.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
As much as I despise Dr. Phil, the episode he had on today struck my attention and actually had me tune in.

He took several racists, bigots, etc., and grouped them in a home. Needless to say fireworks were not far behind.

He had blacks who hated whites & whites who hated blacks. Heterosexuals who despised homosexuals & vice versa. Skinny people who could not stand obese people, and obese people who could not stand skinny people. (You get the picture)

It was quite shocking to see how quick people were willing to show their true hatred. A white supremist had no problem calling out a black woman and sharing his disgust. While a skinny girl called out a fat man without blinking an eye. Their ability to not see the other person as a human had me amazed.

They didn't see another person. They seen a white person, black person, homosexual, etc., rather than a human being. Some were willing to conform with others and join in on the racial discrimination, only to find themselves a support group. Right and wrong were irrelevant, they were just worried about the ridicule they would face themselves.

Racism is a problem we are never going to overcome. I've had discussions with people who talk down about racists, and how they can't believe they could ever treat a black person that way. They are naive enough to consider racism is restricted to white on black. This same person who was talking down about racists, was the same person who was complaining how many muslims were on his last flight.

If a Muslim walks onto an airplane, are you any less comfortable than if a Chinese man were to walk on?

Racism, Prejudicial, Bigotry, call it what you wish. Our society is no better off than it was 40 years ago. The government has found a new guinnea pig to point the finger at, and we as a society are accepting of it. Not everyone, but many people are open to prejudicial comments directed at certain groups.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join