It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant comet may collide with Earth late October

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Here is what i found in a link which has Russian news.

Giant comet may collide with Earth late October 9 Oct 2006 20:16 GMT
... on Monday October 9, 2006 at 12:35 pm MST [ According to the Russian astronomer Nikolai Fedorovsky, a giant comet flying at top speed is bound for Earth. Should the comet ...

www.einnews.com...

you have to become a members to see the entire article, i didn't but wanted to point out they say in that article that "it may hit", not that it is going to hit. I am still not sure how reliable this is thou.

BTW, as another member mentioned, it is strange that they would say "a comet travelling at top speed".... There is no such thing as "top speed" when talking about meteors or comets.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Thank you for your research, Muaddib. I did put on my tittle "may".

Hey, by any chance, is this the same guy that predicted a couple of months ago another doomsday comet and was on Coast to Coast?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
well...

thats me not going to uni then

damn..

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I've found three more pages on the Pravda website

Pravda

Nox

[edit on 11-10-2006 by TheNockerNox]

[edit on 11-10-2006 by TheNockerNox]

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well from what I hear about the source, it seems unlikely that there will be a comet hitting Earth. Still, I'm interested about what people think about this.

Originally posted by malganis
It's funny how many people would like to see the downfall of America, yet when something like this or another global epidemic arises, everybody automatically turns to NASA/NORAD/US Gov. to sort it out.

If the USA were to fall a lot of people would cheer. Then we find out a comet is really going to hit Earth we are all screwed. It would be like "I know who can sort this out! Oh no actually they're not there anymore..."

Since USA have the most advanced space program and defence systems in the world, who would we look to if they weren't there?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
Since USA have the most advanced space program and defence systems in the world, who would we look to if they weren't there?

The Earth itself offers the best protection to its inhabitants. If it weren't for this planet's atmosphere we would be getting hit by meteorites constantly. The reason this doesn't happen is because most meteors that fall toward Earth are burned to extinction in the atmosphere. So, if a comet, even a large comet, were to head straight for our planet, it would either burn up completely, or nearly so, so that it would probably be no bigger than a baseball by the time it reached the ground. But, there are no guarantees.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Here's a thought to consider.What if all this stuff going right now in the world,ie: the war on terror,unrest in the middle east, and the North Korean situation is all but an elaborate distraction to keep out attention from this comet??? What if we would have known about it say 5 years ago,what the world would be like today.Think about it.Panic times 100.No amount of marshall law or military control could stem the panic of the masses.Big countries like the U.S. would have litterally fallen to pieces in a matter of hours.If there is a known object from space impacting the earth,we won't know about it until the last minute!!! It's just a thought I had floating around under my stylish tinfoil hat!!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The person that claimed the comet would hit Earth did not provide any evidence. The other astronomer that denies the claim did not provide any evidence either...

ST. PETERSBURG, October 12 (RIA Novosti) - Scientists from Russia's central observatory near St. Petersburg have denied a prediction that a giant comet will collide with the Earth in late October, a spokesman for the Pulkovo Observatory said Thursday.

Some media reported earlier this month that Russian astronomer Nikolai Fedorovsky has predicted an October 28 collision of a huge comet with the Earth, which will allegedly unleash devastating tsunamis, earthquakes and avalanches.

Sergei Smirnov, an observatory spokesman said: "Our research does not support media reports that a comet will collide with the Earth in late October."

Smirnov said the astronomer Fedorovsky, who even failed to name the scientific institute he belongs to, is simply seeking publicity.

He said astronomers currently observe potentially dangerous celestial bodies using special search systems.

Smirnov said objects larger than 100 meters in diameter or more are considered dangerous. If one were to hit the Earth, it would cause a regional disaster comparable to the explosion of the Tunguska meteorite in Siberia in 1908.

Objects larger than one kilometer in diameter would cause a continental catastrophe, he added.

"A collision with an object larger than 10 kilometers in diameter would cause a global disaster," Smirnov said. "Such disasters occur once in dozens of millions of years, and are followed by serious climatic changes."

He said a large asteroid could approach the Earth in 2028, and said that if it then changes orbit, the possibility of a collision on its next rendezvous with the Earth in 2030 would increase.

Another Russian...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I seem to have lost the reference link for where I read this, but it does explain a lot of things about the theory about why earth seems to have gone through periods of "mass extinctions" about every 30-35 million years. As our solar system moves in its orbit around our galaxy, its path doesn't remain at a constant "altitude" compared to the galactic plane: Sol actually cycles higher & lower as it follows its orbital path around the galactic core.

Sol completes its "high/low cycle" once about every 35 million years or so, but as it approaches the lowest point of its altitude, our solar system enters a band of higher "galactic debris" that, for most of the time, stays below our orbital path. Unfortunately, when we dip down that low, our solar gravity well tends to pick up some extra debris that becomes a "fresh supply" of asteriods & other such ecclectic-orbiting bodies in our solar system...When our solar system move upward again, out of that galactic debris, we retain some of that new debris.

The good news is that Sol climbed out of that galactic debris about 2 million years ago...The bad news is that it takes about 2 million years for that "new debris" to settle into solar orbits that may threaten Earth.

And then remember that the government only budgets NASA to watch for potential celestial threats over 1% of the sky. As quoted from the movie, "Armaggedon": "Pardon me for saying so sir, but it's a big-@$$ sky."

Two more quotes come to my mind: "It's only a matter of time." "Watch the skies."

[edit on 13-10-2006 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Comet is Not Colliding with Earth, Russian Scientists Say

www.axcessnews.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
These are the direct links to the Russian newspapers which state pretty much what has been claimed.

dni.ru...

www.zavtra.com.ua...

itnews.com.ua...

My Russian is a bit rusty, but I believe in overall those Russian newspapers, except one which does not say anything about meteors and which I did not put a link to here, say what is claimed in the other link i gave, including the possible crash in October 28.

I can only understand certain words and the meaning of some phrases, but if anyone who can read Russian can verify it, it would be appreciated.

Now, i don't know how reliable those Russian newspapers are. For all i know they are another version of Pravda.com

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Muaddib]

Well,It's Oct 28 and I'm still alive-Where's this comet??? Is it late for it's big date with Earth???

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Here it is, the 31st!

Lucky for us this man turned out to be a fraud (I hope)

Nothing to worry about-

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
5 minutes to go.
It's gonna have to be a BIG breath if I plan to hold it for that long

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
5 mins for you.

10 hours for me

Lol

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 31-10-2006 by Neon Haze]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It's the end of October.

No giant comet has hit the Earth -- again.

I think we need to start Denying Hysteria.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
It's the end of October.

No giant comet has hit the Earth -- again.

I think we need to start Denying Hysteria.

You're about right there, Denying hysteria dioes sound like a good idea. Technically I need to wait 9.5 hours from now, but somehow I doubt anything will happen.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Oct 2006 is over for me? Is my side of the planet safe?

Be sure that another "Earth meets its end in < insert month here > 2007" thread will appear before christmas. But then again my prediction may be wrong and yet cause another much needed hysteria.

Enjoy your limited days left on this Earth.

[edit on 31-10-2006 by NotheRaGe]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hey hang on guys. Don,t celebrate yet.. It,s still october here. I dont wanna be squished. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Hey hang on guys. Don,t celebrate yet.. It,s still october here. I dont wanna be squished. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

don't worry you wont be squished. You might be roasted very quickly by molten asteroid or hit by falling debris, or maybe killed by blastwave, but not squished.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I guess we dodged the bullet again.
Lets see, according to the media hype I've managed to survive these imminent catastrophes;
Global cooling
Global Warming
Death by Meteorite
Death by planetary alignment
Super Hurricanes
Super Tsunamis
Massive Earthquakes
Food Shortages
The Ozone Hole
Lack of resources due to overpopulation
Y2K
Nuclear War
Dirty Bombs
Biochemical Weapons
Sars
Bird Flu
...........ect. I'm sure I missed several.
Of course I dont mean to minimalize those who have lost their lives due to some of the things listed above. It just seems that evey other month we get another doomsday scenario and the media hype it till people are sick of hearing about it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join