It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Male Penguins Inspire children's book..2 males raising a child!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Our Story Begins in 2004:

A pair of chinstrap penguins (2 males) were partnered and successfully hatched a female chick from an egg.

This Hapened in New York city.

This was the basis for the children's picture book And Tango Makes Three.

The Penguins were named Roy and Silo. In September 2005 Silo Left Roy for a female penguin only to return back to his original partner Roy a few months later!

Zoos in Japan and Germany have also documented male penguin couples.
The couples have been shown to build nests together and use a stone to replace an egg in the nest.

Bremerhaven Zoo in Germany attempted to break up the male couples by importing female penguins from Sweden and separating the male couples; they were unsuccessful. The zoo director stated the relationships were too strong between the couples.

Sources:
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Your Comments on This are welcomed.....

[edit on 9/7/2006 by a1ex]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is really an ornithology issue, I mean, aside from the book. One would presume that the authors think we are to look to animal behavior as a model or justification for human behavior. I don't understand why a children's book on this matter would be needed, as children aren't really capable of understanding the psychological, anthropological or cultural issues that are suggested by the birds' behavior.

What next? Spot Eats His Own Poop!

[edit on 2006/9/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
What can I say here, some species mate for life, humans in the other hand . . .

I kind of like the concept of the story in references to the same sex parents.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This is really an ornithology issue, I mean aside from the book. One would presume that the authors think we are to look to animal bahavior as a model or justifcation for human behavior. I don't understand why a children's book on this matter would be needed, as children aren't really capable of understanding the psychological, anthropological or cultural isses that are suggested by the birds' behavior.

What next? Spot Eats His Own Do-Do!

[edit on 2006/9/7 by GradyPhilpott]

Yeah I agree, Dogs at times eat their own puppies when one dies....should we take this as role models?

top topics

join