It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Megalodon will we ever see it again?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ever since i first saw a documentary about Charcaradon Megalodon i was stunned.Since the big fish extinced nobody has seen it.BUT is it possible that we might find it lurking some where deep in the waters hunting for food?Post your thougts.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The oceans and seas of the world are alive with many undiscovered creatures still hiding in the murky depths. Oceanographic missions sometimes stumble on a previously undiscovered species of aquatic life that adds yet another creature to the list of marine specimens.
I suppose, if Megalodon is around today, only time and circumstance will tell.
Evolution may have shaped this creature into a shark that is common in the seas and oceans and the Megalodon of the past is now extict in it's original form.
Check this link for information
External Link

[edit on 7/9/2006 by anglosaxon]

[edit on 7/9/2006 by anglosaxon]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
so is it possible that megalodon exists but maybe has a other shap?!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It was discussed on a thread about the Mariana Trench, the odd video taken during a National Geographic hunt for the giant squid.

(I've never seen the film personally...I was hoping to find this clip on the internet...)

Apparently, they were taking film deep in the trench and a massive creature swam in front of the camera. They were estimating its size as 60m.

Megalodon?

Here's the link to the thread, and if you find that clip, POST IT!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I doubt there are any more Megalodons left, it seems they fed on early whales and the whales were just able to out evolve and outmaneuver them, so there was nothing left for them to eat.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglosaxon
Check this link for information
External Link

That link does not work, I suppose you meant this?

I think it is difficult for an animal of that size to still exist today and we have never seen any clues of its existence, like teeth marks on dead whales and other animals like these.

Also, I always find occasions like this a good opportunity to show my Carcharodon Megalodon tooth
, that I found here in Almada, on the other side of the river from Lisbon (the capital of Portugal, for the more geographically impaired)

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I found a good site about many seamonsters and crypto stuff etc. if you scroll down u will find much about charcaradon megalodon
here's the linkCrypto Site and i found some pictures of what might can be a basking shark or some Plesiosaur looks real to me found in new zealand

you can read the article here The Article

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
There isn't much large aquatic life in the depths of the ocean. Whales and such venture down there, but don't stay down there. Giant squid could be a possible prey item, but it is unlikely. Chances are no one's going to find a megalodon down that deep.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I doubt it still exists in the same form. Evolution tends to cause the species to evolve into a smaller body through time. Examples of these are tree sloths, bears, crocodiles/alligators, apes, and birds.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well, as we do not know too much about this creature, it is hard to predict whether or not it survives today. But heres a fact for you: We actually know more about space than we do about our own oceans. Seems hard to believe i know, and it may be slightly outdated now, but even if that fact was from 10 or 20 years ago, its still pretty amazing. Maybe the Megalodon does survive somewhere in the depths of the ocean...

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
I doubt it still exists in the same form. Evolution tends to cause the species to evolve into a smaller body through time. Examples of these are tree sloths, bears, crocodiles/alligators, apes, and birds.

Yet Humans have grown much taller over time (maybe as much as 2ft)

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The megaladon would have to have gone under drastic physiological changes to survive the global climate changes since the day of it's supposed extinction.
Also, the Megaladon didn't swim at low depth like the Giant Squid, so presumably it suffered from the mass extinction.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
If megalodon was anything at all like the great white in habits surely someone would see its huge dorsal fin cutting across the surface of the ocean somewhere.....many large sharks (save for deep water species like the goblin shark and sleeper shark, and other relatively tiny sharks like the cookie cutter) look for prey at the water's surface and on the coasts.

For large shark species that actively prey on other fish and/or mammals (not filter-feeders) one of the best places to find prey is close to the water's surface, because dead and wounded animals are often found there (one reason experts say that humans occasionally become shark victims because, among other reasons, being at the water's surface, whether swimming or treading water, is a sign to a shark of a wounded animal).

But back to megalodon - at some place and time someone would have seen one chomping away on a whale carcass that had floated up to the surface. It would be cool if they were still around, but I don't think so.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
As much as I would like the Meg's to have survived after all these years, it would almost be impossible for one to survive today.

They were a species of large, hungry creatures. Food resources would certainly bring them to the surface and with the well travelled seaways of today, sightings would be prevalent.

I still hold out hope for a gigantic (30'+) GW living somewhere, but as for the Meg, I believe they were wiped out a long time ago.

Also,

In regards to the Mariana Trench thread, although I didn't see the vid myself, I thought they surmised it was most likely a Gigantic Squid. There was also a discrepancy regarding the size of the creature, 60 meters vs. 60 feet.

Still would have like to see the video.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
To be honest, I've seen it way too many times... Sci-Fi keeps making bad movie's based on it...

But on a serious note, I would say it's hard to say... The ocean being so big, and so many areas where we haven't been, there's bound to be things down there from a distant past...

The selacamp is the textbook example of course... All be it the Megladon would be a little easier to spot on a where's waldo puzzle...

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

the link to the video from the mariana trench. hard to tell the size of the shark but it looks pretty big

regards warrior1

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hmm it is possible that theres some left. Afterall who knows whats really down under the surface? We hardly half of the creatures on land!

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
this may be.......controversial in itself, but does the Biblical creature Leviathan make any sense? we haven't discovered a good percentage of our oceans. outer space is more explored that our own Terran waters. suppose we turn our efforts into exploring the secrets of our oceans, maybe the movie The Abyss isn't too far off.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The shark in the video is a sleeper shark.

As for megalodon still being alive today, I would love for that to be true but IMHO it isn't likely.

As you can see from my username I have quite a facination with the shark, it truely was an incredible animal, but the things that don't add up are -

1. If this animal was a deep sea dweller (as some believers presume) then it's diet would surely have to be large animals like the giant squid (and perhaps the occasional sperm whale). If that is so then its teeth certainly do not seem to match the prey it is hunting.

2. The sustainable population for a colony of megalodon sharks would have to me signifigant, that is, to prevent inbreeding. The amount of food for this colony is believed to be nonexistant.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Would love to see this fish still around however I had to argue against it a couple of years ago purely on the basis of maths. I'll just throw my argument up again to save folk reading through a large topic.

Ok been doing a little more research on this to try and give a more substanced argument.

So first things first we need to take a look at the minimum required number of individuals for a species to survive. Since we all know that without genetic diversity, inbreeding and ultimately extinction occurs.
After looking around the best I’ve come up with is that the MVP (minimum viable population) for many creatures is in the region of

<<   2 >>

join