It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Town that Doesn't Exist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
youve gotta be joking, this site is a hoax-joke site thats been around for years, I sort o believed it, when I was 15!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yes, it IS a hoax site.

However, I am actually from Lynchburg and have been living there for most of my life. The Valleyville stories have been around for a while and, as far as I can tell, is legit although the turth has been stretched.

Also, there are 2 different stories. One is that it was a small town that, during WWII was used as some sort of a training ground. The reason it is said to "not exist" is due to some sort of a hazardous spill during these training sessions. The other story is far more fishy; it states that the town was sort of like a military base, only it was used as a sort of Montauk site where top secret advanced technological experiments were undergone (ie; time travel, invisibilty, that sort of thing).

The area of land is there. All roads are blocked off and, even if you can get beyond the blocked roads, the older roads that lead to it were torn up long ago. Keep in mind, this is all heresay, things I've heard for most of ly life. But there isn't ahy sort of a no-fly zone around that area, so I say there is nothing going on.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Is it possible to get back to this town in the woods? Surely there must be power lines or something just leading into the woods or at least the path where a road was (but was torn up as you say). For example, when you look at picture of old ski areas that have closed many years ago, it is still very clear to make out trails and lift lines either from satellite imaging or actual pictures. Have you attempted a hike back to the area or beyond where some of these roads just end?

Also, out of concern for the public, wouldn't the area be marked on various hiking maps and or geographical maps as hazardous and off limits? It would be easy to stray a bit from the trail, see the town, and (if it really is contaminated) have a run in with some mutant time traveling zombies

This "thing" (town, base, nothing, whatever) does intrigue me though, and I'd love to hear more about it!

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the additional information! I am a Lynchburg native, but I'm in South Florida now so getting there isn't possible for me at this time.

I think it would be very cool to go check it out! I tried looking for the area using Google Earth but it was all very blurred. Maybe you can try that tool to see if you find anything of interest.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I heard someone mention Vesuvius VA, an area I'm familiar with, and began thinking that is exactly the kind of place the government would want to put an out-of-the-way base. It's out in the middle of nowhere.

Oh well, I guess this one is pure BS. I live in Virginia and have been wanting to do some on-site research for some of these ATS stories so I could post back with my findings...

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the interest, CyberSEAL. It would be really great if you found any additional information about this place. Supposedly, there are over 40 underground facilities in the U.S. I would think there would be some in the area surrounding D.C. (which includes Va of course).

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well, since I'm at work on a Sunday and things are slow, I thought I'd surf around on this subject a little more.

If you compare the map on the source website here to the google map here, you can see the map showing the location of "Valleyville" does not appear to be correct. Note the locations of the towns Buena Vista and Vesuvius on each map.

I also used aeronautical charts on aeroplanner.com to confirm that the area in question does not contain restricted airspace. I'm not a pilot, and I'm reluctant to ask any of my pilot friends to read the map for me and confirm my analysis, lol, but it doesn't appear to be restricted according to current aviation maps.

What does intrigue me is the location of the supposed town in relation to Nature Camp Trail, a small gravel road in the center of the google map page. I know that area well, I went to camp there when I was a child.

LoL, I'm probably wasting a lot of time here, but like I said, it's Sunday and things are slow.

[edit on 8-10-2006 by CyberSEAL]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Yes I see what you mean about the two maps. I figure the map from the website is probably fairly old. Something I do notice on the Google map is that there are lots of tiny roads all over the area except for the area south of Buena Vista. There is a tiny road labeled 812 that goes north off of Elon Road and seems to come to an end in the middle of nowhere.

You say that the area doesn't have a restricted airspace, but what about in past years? Maybe that restriction was lifted? Just a thought.

I'm going to try and study the area on Google Earth. I used to hang out with friends at the top of a mountain in that area. It was hell getting up there but my little piece of crap 1971 Maverick never had a problem getting up the mountain, even in the snow. I'm thinking that place was called Tobacco Row Mountain but not really positive. We were all pretty much toasted back then... lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Heh, when I was a good deal younger, my Grandmother used to speak of such a place. I'm not sure which state she said it was in. Probably just a hoax, but an interesting story regardless.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
CyberSEAL, what do you think of this particular area that I found. It's in the middle of nowhere but still in the location shown on the original map.

Here is a map image from Google Earth:

www.conspiriana.net...

Here is a map image from Google maps:
www.conspiriana.net...

There is a single tiny road that runs north into this triangular area.

I could be way off base... or maybe it's the camp you were talking about. LOL

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The grrn line running from top to bottom located above the point you are referring to is the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would think people would be able to easily peer down into that area from the parkway. I could certainly go down there and hike into that area. I'll look on google earth tonight and see if I can come up with anything.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This reminds me of a program i saw on the history channel a couple weeks back. There was a town in Tennessee called Happyvalley where people lived to work on the atomic bomb. save for a few fire hydrants and guard houses, it's gone now.

Sounds like this Valleyville thing might have been derived from Happyvalley
Happyvalley

[edit on 10/10/2006 by Sandro]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Never heard of it, wonder what there keeping out or keeping in would be good to get more info on this if u do please u2u me and we can chat

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberSEAL
The grrn line running from top to bottom located above the point you are referring to is the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would think people would be able to easily peer down into that area from the parkway. I could certainly go down there and hike into that area. I'll look on google earth tonight and see if I can come up with anything.

No, that green line is not the BRP. That is the county line for Buena Vista. Google tossed that in because my search was on "Buena Vista". If you look at the Google Maps image, you'll see a yellow line that is the BRP to the east of the red arrow.

On the Google maps image, where you see 501 and the text "Elon Rd", right above the text is the line (road) that runs northeast into the triangular area the red arrow is pointing to.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by annestacey]

[edit on 10-10-2006 by annestacey]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This sounds interesting. My whole family was born in Charlottesville ( except me ) and I visit there at least 3 times a year. I plan on buying my house in the Waynesboro area, mostly because it's much cheaper than here in NJ. Virginia is a major if not the military/government state in the U.S. due to the close proximity of D.C. The northwestern part of the state would be ideal for a installation or experimental base due to the mountainous terrain.
By the way, have you ever driven up I-81 from the bottom? I had the pleasure this past summer coming from Alabama. I took I-77 in North Carolina up to it and got off on I-64.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
pops up on ATS - simple clue - look at the bus - it features Trafalger Sq and Kings Cross as destinations - why ? cos its a photoshopped pic of a London Bus taken in London. Small clue is the number plate on the white van behind it. Now if you cant trust the bus pic - what else can you trust on the site.

I was also intereted to read Bill Brysons commentary on Lynchburg in his book "A Walk in the woods" - to me the place sounded like a cross between Blackpool and Niagra Falls.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
pops up on ATS - simple clue - look at the bus - it features Trafalger Sq and Kings Cross as destinations - why ? cos its a photoshopped pic of a London Bus taken in London. Small clue is the number plate on the white van behind it. Now if you cant trust the bus pic - what else can you trust on the site.

I was also intereted to read Bill Brysons commentary on Lynchburg in his book "A Walk in the woods" - to me the place sounded like a cross between Blackpool and Niagra Falls.

Sometimes the true stories are mixed with the hoax stories in order to throw people off track. Some of us have determined that this story is worth investigating further. Thanks for your input.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infra_red
This sounds interesting. My whole family was born in Charlottesville ( except me ) and I visit there at least 3 times a year. I plan on buying my house in the Waynesboro area, mostly because it's much cheaper than here in NJ. Virginia is a major if not the military/government state in the U.S. due to the close proximity of D.C. The northwestern part of the state would be ideal for a installation or experimental base due to the mountainous terrain.
By the way, have you ever driven up I-81 from the bottom? I had the pleasure this past summer coming from Alabama. I took I-77 in North Carolina up to it and got off on I-64.

I have never traveled the interstates in Virginia because my hometown is in the center of the state (far away from the interstates). When I travel there from Florida, I get off of the interstate in North Carolina and travel 29 North straight into Lynchburg (which also goes on to Charlottesville as well).

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4saleHere's the story of mike the headless chicken in my signature. It's true dammit.
Not so sure about the headless cat.
Try this link www.miketheheadlesschicken.org...

The cat isn't (and it's photoshopped.)

The chicken was possible because the cutting tool didn't get the entire head (just the face.) There was a brain stem left and part of the brain (it wasn't easy to see with all the feathers there.)

A totally headless cat would be dead. The parts of the nervous system that control movement and breathing and internal organs are in the brain... and there's no brain section of the head shown in that photo.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazard

Also, that headless chicken is not true, no animal can live without a brain, the site is playing on the commen joke of a chicken running around headless, but its not true.

It's sort of true. You have to be raised on a farm though. My first experience with a headless bird running around was on the day before Thanksgiving. The neighbors were preparing to cut the head off their main course, so I went over by the fence to watch (age 8). After they cut the Turkeys head off it flew (yes flew) backwards over the fence and landed on me. Then it ran around wildly for a few steps and fell over. I've seen chickens do a little running or flopping around after being beheaded as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join