It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we Prevent 9/11 from Reoccurring?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Which four ways would you propose? My four would be:

1) Spiritual: remain firm in your beliefs, but open to others, and to oppose any religion that promotes violence!!!

2) Technological: advance in surveillance technology, without compromising the freedoms granted to us by our Founding Fathers!!!

3) Legal: expand the law to accomodate those in the government and not in the government who promote peace and goodwill for humankind!!!

4) Medical: any action performed to prevent a 9/11 reoccurrence would not harm a person in Life Expectancy!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Simple. Throw out the men in power who caused it to happen, purge the government of their ilk, and remain forever vigilant of two faced back handing governments in the future.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
How do we Prevent 9/11 from Reoccurring?

Pay the poor thier due

The rich man will find it easier to hire a camel to go through the eye of a needle than to thread it himself

[edit on 25-8-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
In nothing we trust, do you believe certain people are born superior to others? I have never felt this. Where is your proof?

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
As a historian and political scientist, I don't think any society is actually capable of entirely preventing an act of terrorism on their soil. Steps can be taken to reduce the chances that a terror cell might succeed, but there's no program you can implement to lock them out altogether.

American's challenge is no different than that of any other society. We should take enough steps to make it hard for our enemies to take action against us, but we should not become so hard core that we lock down our own people and force the society to become so thoroughly monitored that it becomes stagnant.

All good resistors know that the most effective weapon against any nation is the government of that nation. Goading our government to take actions which are not good for us is precisely what our enemies seek to do. Any hostile force will be savvy enough to know that they don't have to kill all of us. They just have to paralyze or manipulate a small cadre of pampered old men who have a narrow and self-centered view of the world.

Some of you may remember that the British aborted plans to kill Adolf Hitler late in World War Two because old 'dolf was doing more damage to his own people than any of the Allied military campaigns. I once heard an old spy give a lecture, and he said that Hitler had been worth atleast four infantry divisions in terms of the damage he inflicted on his own people.

During the Cold War, no effort was made by the Western powers to unseat the Politburo in Moscow. On the other hand, every effort was made to manipluate them that small group of fussy old men, and...we know how that story turned out. The real lesson of 9/11 is that we are vulnerable to those subterfuges, and we need be aware of that fact.

Our leaders are encouraging us to be poor citizens when they should be encouraging us to excel at good civics. In crisis situations, we are told that we should be docile and wait for official help. If we are bullied by public officials, we are told to be understanding...which can best be demonstrated by remaining docile and unobstructive.

We don't need to be encouraged vigilantism. We don;t need to be exorted to such extreme forms of paranoia that we're looking for any excuse to rat each other out in exchange for professional advancement or social recognition. Our challenge is to recognize that we'll be hit again, and to be ready for it. If our enemies know that they will be hunted without hesitation, reservation, or exception, they might not pause before they strike, but they will have something to think about while they run for cover that won't save them.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Justin Holdman, you are a very smart man. Which four, and only four, ways do you propose that the USA prevents 9/11 from reoccurring?

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I don't think there is any way to fully stop terrist attacks but , here are ways to prevent them.

1. U.S. should stop poking around in other countries so much.
2. Get ride of that random imigrent board pass grant thing and have all immigrints go through the normal test.
3. Better public transportaion security.
4. Stop selling weapons to to ustable countries.

[edit on 27-8-2006 by halfmask]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
Justin [Oldham], you are a very smart man. Which four, and only four, ways do you propose that the USA prevents 9/11 from reoccurring?

Any changes we make to prevent another terrorist attack need to begin at the grass-roots level.

1. As indivudual citizens, we need to make up our collective minds that we're just not going to settle for sub-standard leadership any more. To make that work, we will need to understand and accept that we...individually...bear some responsibility for our own safety and the swafety of the people around us.

Example: A few years ago, I witnessed a mugging in broad daylight. The female victim put up a good fight, and the people who walked right on by her tried to shame her for it. "Give him the purse so he won't hurt you." The mugger did get the purse, and he did run...after a lot of pain from the women he'd just robbed. He didn't get far. When I stepped in to his path to offer a litlte "counseling,"
he gave up. He gave up becuase he was afraid that he'd be confronted by another citizen...and another one...and another one.

2. We need to vote in much greater numbers than we currently do. The days of 10-30 percent voter turnout need to be a thing of the past. Even if we can muster 50 percent, we will be sending a message to our social and political elites that their days of selling us down the river for a quick buck are over. Increased voter turnout will also have the long term net effect of setting bar just a little higher for the "character" qualifications of our future leaders.

Example: Here in my home State, the incumbent governor was defeated as he tried for a second term. As a career politician, he's one of the wealthiest men in the State. He spent 24 years in the Senate, and he's always crushed his opponents. the word "no" is not something he hears very much. He was defeated by a two-term small town mayor who could barely raise enough money to keep her campaign afloat. She won the primary on the merits of character and good citizenship.

3. We should go back to teaching civic lesson in our schools. I do not know of any school district that does this, anymore. Today's student government classes teach our kids about the basic anatomy of government while they instill the notion of "entitlement." It is in these classroom settings that our kids learn that they should stay quiet, be docide, and wait for the government to come to their aid in any crisis. Fixing this will provide us with many future generations of good citizens who will consider it their duty to stop terrorism when they see it happening.

Example: I was invited to be a guest speaker at a high school here in my State. I spent half of my time talking about civics only because the students who asked hadn't heard about...what was that word again? When I spoke to a U.S. Government class, I was surprised to learn that they had no textbook for the class. When I showed them the textbook I had used...they were amazed.

4. Our leaders need to embrace points 1 through 3 and tell the world that this is the wa it's going to be. By default, this new wave of social reform will put an end to some wars of adventure as well as many forms of war profiteering. It will also give our enemies food for thought.

Example: When people overseas turn on their t.v. sets, they don't hear a coherent message from America. The people who don't like us choose to interpret that as a sign of weakness. It's worth noting that when our enemies speak, they use small words and short sentences. They make their points very clearly. Because they don't parse their words, our politicians assume they are just kidding.

We can't stop each and every single terrorsit attempt on our citizens, but we can transform our citizens from victims in to fighters. If we don't demand stadnards of behavior from ourselves ,we have no right to demand them from the people we send to high office. If we do demand some level of civics from ourselve, then we have every right to demand good leadership from the people we put in high office.

Show me a terrorist who is willing to fight ThAT, and I'll show you an uneducated fool who got lied to.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
In order to prevent another 9/11 from happening we have to expose the government terrorism. That will throw the use of government terrorism out of the New World Order's toolbox.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If someone wants to kill you bad enough, even it it cost him his life , they will someday get through.

A Terrorist group tries 99 time to blow up something and is caught/stoped those 99 times. On the 100th try they get it done.

They win!

roper

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
A Terrorist group tries 99 time to blow up something and is caught/stoped those 99 times. On the 100th try they get it done.

They win!

roper

Would they? Really?

The sad fact is tha we are still being threatened by domestic and foriegn terror cells that are in a position to get it right the first time. We know it, and so do they. If the American people knew that their enemies had to try much harder to reach them, they would be heartened by that knowleldge. They'd be proud of themsleves and their government for putting up such a good fight. The terrorists themsleves wouldh ave to admit to their followers that it's no that easy to harm Americans for any reason.

There was atime, prior to World War One, that U.S. doplomacy was actually very resolute stuff. At home, when a citizen saw something out of line, They knew who they should talk to...and they did. You might laugh at the notion of Teddy Roosevelt's "great white fleet," but the fact of the matter isthat it worked. Our capability to benevolently show our flag in every corner of the world at all times sent a clear message to anyone who thought about doing harm to this country.

Good citizenship on our part translates to benevolence on the part of our leaders. The resolve that backs that up tends to be unshakable when tested. Opponents of this policy (back in the day) called it saber-rattling and gunboat diplomacy. Terms that are still with us today. Because we lack the temperence of good citizenship, we may be guilty of the stigma attached to those negative terms. This doesn't mean we have to leave it that way.

U.S. forces are bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan because our politicians are indecisive. They fear the body bag more than they fear our enemies. Our soldiers are spies are left ot fight for us with less than half of what they need. The Israelis failed to destroy Hezbollah for much the same reason in recent momths. the message is clear. Good citrizenship is hard, but it does matter.

When terror groups can't find enough dumb suckers to wear their suicide vests, they'll have to explain to the faithful why they keep losing. When we stop turining in to what we fear the most, they will also have to explain to their followers why we have revewed our benevolence. The end result will be that they won't want to fight with us any more. It won't be painless, popular, or profitable for them to do so. For now, it's too profitable for them to plot against us.

So me a terrorist who likes tough odds that don't favor success, and I'll show you an uneducated fool who has been lied to.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Get rid of Bush and his comrads!

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Getting rid of the Bush administration without making those changes at the grass roots level will only get you more of the same under a different label. A lot of people hold out some degree of hope that Hillary is going to come along and save them. They're going to be quite surprised when the discover that the incoming wave of Democrats pick up where W and his cronies left off.

Stop and think about that. Mr.s Clinton will have quite a few deals to make if she wantsthat job. Deals that come with large price tags thatcan only be paid off through the same kind of high-level graft that has been getting us in to trouble so far. I have no doubt that she has the skill to make those deals, but...the fact remainsthat all we (as voters) get out of this is a change of lapel pins. Take off your dinkey and put on the elephant.

It's quite possible that the men and women whom we elect to high office...after an era of improved citizenship on our part...have not even been born yet. It's possible that a future U.S. President that will lead us as we deserve is just this moment still in diapers. Some of the future U.S. Senators and Congressmen who will push for those reforms because we asked them to...may be in grade school, playing with Spngebob...right now.

If that's not the case, we'll have to accept the fact that the people who will save us from ourselves have not even been born yet.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Now that we've gotten past the fifth anniversary of 9/11, it may be time to come back to this topic. What steps should we take to make it harder for our enemies to do that sort of thing to us again?

First and foremost, I'd like to suggest that we change our expectations. With hindsight, we can see that it's been a foolish idea to simply "expect" our government to save us. the only way we will ever successfully de-mand positive action from out government is to expect positive action from ourselves. If we ask our career politicians to do what we ourselves are willing to do, they shouldn't say "no" for fear of losing their jobs.

I'm not talking about vigilante justice. Although we could do those things, they would be counter-productive. They would also take us a few steps closer to being the very thing we seek to poose. I am talking about Good citizenship. I'm talking about he ind of mindset that comes from good civics, too.

You don't have to carry a cellphone, a polycarbonite knife, and a registered handgun with a concealed carry permit next to your voter registration card. You could do all of those things, or, you could learn how to think you're not a victim. One of the greatest crimes committed aginst us in the last century has been the collective insistence of our career politicians that we don't fight back when trouble strikes. So long as we remain calm and wait forthe proper authorites, everything will turn out just fine...according to them.

As we go to the polls and vote, we think of ourselves as enduring some sort of hardship. It's too hot, or it's too cold. It's raining. The pizza guy gets here in fourty five minutes. My favorite show comes on in just two hours. My favorite candidate won't win, anyway. that Justin guy is a loud-mouth and I'm tired of hearing him spaz about good citizenship.

If things went badly wrong, we'd fight for our spouses and kids in the dark of night in a cold freezing rain...as we starved. Atleast, that's what we like to say in public. If we really mean those things, we should put them in to the proper perspective. the little sufferings tha we endure to vote are nothing compared to what we might go through if we don't get out and vote.

Until we do vote in larger numbers, it won't matter how many concealed carry permits we have, or how many illegal assault weapons we may have stashed away. As conspiracy theoriest, nobody should know this better than we do. As paranoid as we may be, we should know that our speculations can just as easily become facts of life...if we fail to be good examples for others to follow.

We can never totally prevent another 9/11-style attack, but we can cut down on the odds for success by being the kinds of citizens that we know we should be. Anything worth doing is hard, and this is no exception.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Okay, here's my last post on this subject. As I write this, you may be aware that the United Nations is hosting a summit relating to the growing crisis in the Middle East. The American and Iranian Presidents will be on site to state the views of their respective governments. If you're on the fence when it comes to the likelihood of another 9/11 'event' on U.S. soil, it may be worth your time to turn on a t.v. or pick up a newspaper over the next two days.

Those of us who lived through the Cold War are familiar with this type of high-stakes poker game. What you are going to see is the 21st-century version of the 1938 Munich conference. Take note of the flexible posturing of certain Eruopean powers. Don't be surprised is if you have the strangest urge to ignore these preceedings. The diplo-speak will take some getting used to.

Those of you under the age of 21 should pay very close attention to this U.N. confab. This will be the 'event' which...in the long run...will determine your future. What these "old guys" say and do now means more than you know. Their decisions could mean that you'll have a military career...whether you wanted one or not. If they walk away from this meeting saying anything remotely like "peace in our time," you'd better stop and think.

For the rest of us who are not likely to serve in any military call up, we still need to be totally certain of our positions. Then, we need to speak up. Long before it comes to war, we may see another 9/11-style attack. The stammering and indecisiveness shown by our leaders now should be swept away. This we can do by using our life experience and letter-writing skills. Our leaders need to know what we think, and they need to know right now.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Gosh, that's a hard one, and an excellent question I feel.

My thought are:

Lose any dependence on Mid-East Oil of any kind.
The USA is almost there.

Hold the Country as responsible as the person(s) born there for any terrorist act against the USA or NATO Country. Bar none.

Work with the foreign Governments in understanding their laws and cultures. As well as their Religious philosophies and ask their people to understand and accept the Wests Laws and Religious philosophies, as different as they may be.

Replace power moves and attitudes (if they exist) with generosity and respect.

Anyway, that would be my first thought, less absolute intolerance.

Dallas

top topics

join