It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enormous Wasp Nests Uncovered in Southern US - Scientists Stumped

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Perhaps the wasps are forming bigger colonies to form a stronger defense and/or offense against the opposing killer wasps invading the area. It might be that plenty of food is also available or such a large colony wouldn't be able to exist without a big enough food supply in the area. That would be sort of like you don't have big cities unless you can bring in food from other areas. If you couldn't bring in enough food, you would just end up with small cities.

I prefer exterminating all wasps and dangerous insects around my house. One wasp caused me all kinds of trouble when all I was doing was cutting my grass. I'm allergic so it's a war to me now if they invade my territory.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
This year where I live there is an enormous population of fire ants. They attack and can kill (5% need medical treatment).

I have never seen so many in my life.

Last year they were making mounds in the fields. This year they are not making mounds but living in the ground and attacking you if you get close.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Now this article is talking about nests the size of a 1955 Chevy 4-door.

Wow, saw the picture of a nest taking up almost the entire inside of a 1955 Chevy!

Curious how one would explain this one to the Insurance Companies.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Too bad wasps don't produce honey. I have a sweet tooth that loves the idea of a car-sized honycomb!

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Apparently , I was attacked for my statements. eh, big deal.
I was not trying to insult anyone, I was just stating that the "supernests" probably have a better defense(more soldiers) and they have higher survivability due to multiple genetic lines instead of the usual one..

I apologize if you thought I was teasing you.

Exerpt from Enders Game by Orson Scott Card;

Ender told the story quickly, as if it were an ancient memory. When he came to the tale of the great mother,the queen of all,who first learned to keep and teach the new queen instead of killing her or driving her away,then he lingered, telling how many times she finally had to destroy the child of her body, the new self that was not herself,until she bore one who understood her quest for harmony.This was a new thing in the world, two queens that loved and helped each other instead of battling, and together they were stronger than any other hive. They prospered; they had more daughters who joined them in peace; it was the beginning of wisdom.

CALMANOMOLY, in no way do I think this is whats happeneing here, I just thought it was interesting....

P.S. if this is whats happeneing, me or you would never know as it would surely take millions of years.......

[edit on 30-8-2006 by Tiloke]

[edit on 30-8-2006 by Tiloke]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Sort of off topic, but relevant to Uplanders post.

I wasn't aware fire ants were so nasty.

Individuals exhibiting such reactions to fire ant stings should see a physician immediately. About 1 dozen Americans die of their wounds each year!

www.safe2use.com...Text

I don't believe Canada (East coast anyways) has any problems with fire ants, that I know of.

<< 1   >>

join