It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Dog-like Beast Killed by Car

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I don't think it was mentioned in the article, T. I don't know how anyone would be able to tell, half of the dogs genes woudl be from its dog parent, and half from teh wolf parent. I don't know how many marker genes are known for the various dog breeds. Probably not that many.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectChaos
Ok I have the answer, its killing these other dogs, reports are its very hostile. and just from the looks of it i think its a wolf/PitBull mix would account for its size and personality and looks. I personally think it could have been someones pet AT ONE TIME but it probally got out of control, i mean think about it what could be meaner than a Pit Wolf?
Nearly impossible, since similar to a boxer's muzzle, the pit has loose lips that will not automatically draw over the theeth like that in death.
ALso, the pit has a deep bissecting ridge down the center of the cranium. The dead animal has none of that, so chances of any Pit blood is minimal...
Anyway:

This is a cross between Pittbull/Malamute/Wolf. Look at the width of the bottom jaw. It still holds much of the triangular shape that pits are bred for. The dog of this thread doesn't have it.
Plus, it's rare to see a solid black pit (blue pits are closer to slate gray) and blacks tend to be brindle with white blazes.

And the idea that it has to be Pitbull is insulting to what a Wolf hybrid is like. The hybrid is not tame, and has all the sensational issues pitbulls have with the media, with the added issue of predominately wolf hybrids being VERY nervous about change and strangers.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shane
Hello Gemwolf

I found your comments here, maybe a little misplaced since, as of yet, there are somethings missing from this equation.

Shane

I have no idea what you're trying to say to me? And I fail to see the connection between what I said and your points?

Maybe you misunderstood me? I complained about the fact that the news article “sensationalizes" the story with their word use.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
does this dog thing look familiar to anyone else? its the wolf from the never ending story!!

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Hmmm....I don't know what pictures you guys are looking at, but to me this looks like a regular canine to me. Somewhat deformed looking, but I've seen some weird looking chows, my neighbors dog comes to mind, it looks very similar to this. It's a chow mix I believe. Wolf-dog hybrids are also very common in rural areas of the northeast, my boyfriend took in an abandoned stray that was half wolf half lab mix years ago.

I'm usually very open minded when it comes to topics like this, as I've seen my fair share of strange creatures in my backyard....again, this looks like a regular dog to me.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Looks like a werewolf genetically modified by Aliens before the Reptilians dyed its hair black and it had it's dentures transported to a nother dimension where the Atlanteans cleaned them and sent them back all nice and white - or it could be a dog, but I feel a bit stupid saying that......

[edit on 18-8-2006 by Quackmaster]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
lol
you feel a bit stupid saing that it actually looks like a dog...cool, Its a bear/wolf hybrid...sensational theories my game...marcopolos my name!

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Blaine91555 makes allot of sense. I also have experience with ferel dogs and wild packs. My friend was chased thru the woods by a pack of wild dogs and if it wasn't for his own dog attacking the pack, he would be dead.

We stayed in his cabin in the woods and at night the pack would roam up and down the powerline near the cabin. We actually killed 3 of them after they stalked us during a small game hunt.

I believe the killings in Maine were most likely due to a ferel pack and not just one animal.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I was thinkin' ex-wife, at first ... But the hair is not dyed dark enough!

Actually, I haven't a clue but I find it most interesting to read all the theories herein.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It's a mutt ... looks like an ordinary dog to me. Maybe the fact that it died with its eyes open creeped people out, but it looks like a normal dog to me.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Wherewolf if I ever seen one. Damn good thing someone killed it. If not it might have evolved into a congressman.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Some Chow Chows are blue. Actually alot of chows are blue.
I have a lab Chow mix right now and he looks identical to the
thing in the pics. Not blue though. And his ears are more labish
than chow. But everything else is a dead match.

My vote goes for lab/chow or wolf/chow/huskie mix.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well, whatever that thing is, be it dog, wolf, a mix of the two, or whatever. Those eyes just do not look normal to me. Maybe by getting hit by the car it knocked its eyes SOMEWHAT out of its sockets? haha, whatever the case, its pretty freaky. I used to have a chow, and I guess if it was a mix it would be possible, but like someone else said, they have longer hair...and the eyes are much much smaller than that...and not bulging out. I wish someone would have taken it and tested? Now i'll never know

Edit: Actually, after seeing the full body pic, it REALLY looks like a dog/canine of some sort...I guess i'll go with the theory it was a mutated at birth dog...or weird hybrid

[edit on 19-8-2006 by AllinTheMind89]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that this dog had its hair cut before it died thats why its fur volume doesnt match the other dogs it has been linked with

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ok guys, i live in southern maine, and i remember hearing stories about this thing. People had reported the eyes glowing, not by themselves, kinda like a cats eyes, or a deers eyes do when you shine a lite at them. the newspaper was only relaying what eye witnesses had said.

-Dave

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Looks to me how i would imagine "Black Shuck" to look. Black Shuck being an English legend. Apparently a demon dog who omens death, is meant to be black, about the size of a calf, and have eyes that glow! He is meant to wander along ley lines etc and anyone who sees the dogs eyes is supposed to die instantly.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Following the link that Nygdan posted on page 2 of this post, I think the best answer is contained at the link below. Go to this link and scroll about half way down the page and the writer talks about the characteristics of an Akita, such as the dew claws and the picture of the Akita looks more like this animal than anything mentioned thus far in this thread. I also read some follow up on the Akita breed and they sound like they can be vicious animals.

Check this page out: www.cryptomundo.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
DNA tests have shown that the mystery beast found in Maine was just a dog after all.

DNA tests have removed the veil of mystery from a creature that created a media and Internet sensation. It was just a dog - 100 percent dog, according to the Sun Journal.

Melekovets said the dog was likely a mix of breeds. He said there could be a trace of "rare breed" in the specimen. His guess" Perhaps a fairly new breed from Germany known as an Eurasier, which is a cross between a wolfspitz, chow and Samoyed.

SOURCE

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I have heard about this before, and I kind of figured it was some kind of dog rather than a wolf/dog cross. The snout is way too wide and blunt to have had any wolf in it - when a wolf (the domestic dog is essentially a sub-species of grey wolf) is crossed with any breed of dog, whether a short faced breed like a boxer, or a long-faced one like a german shepherd, the long snout of the wolf is genetically dominant.

This is also true with mixed breeds of dog - a mix of a boxer with a german shepherd would produce a snout of intermediate length but not short and blunt like the boxer. In dogs and wolves long noses are the norm and all other traits, including undershot jaws, are recessive.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I guess that wraps it up then. The mystery creature was just a strange looking mutt. We were looking for an X file, but it just didn't make it, being just a W file at best.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join