It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Forgotten Hurricane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You know most of the people can remember hurricane Katrina, mainly because it got to much attention from the media. However, hurricane Rita was also a disater
You know the gulf came inland about 20 miles. The Waves over 30 feet high. Just ripped down peoples homes and buisnesses as if they never existed. The only thing left today is a swamp where a home use to be. Churches in ruins a few bricks to tell where it once stood. Twisted melted where a gas station was. An empty lot where the hospital use to be. Nothing left not one brick all gone. A driveway that use to lead to a home. Im talking commuties that housed 100's of people all gone in an instant, in one night.

You know i can understand if you build on the sand that a storm can take you down, but by being 20 miles inland you think your pretty safe. That was not so the waves came in that far and trashed everything. Nothing left. I saw it with my own eyes it was the saddest thing i ever seen.

You know I also saw hundreds of people set up in the fema trailers and I thought of how sweet that is. I thought you know the government did not have to help these people out they just did. I thought how i would love it if i lost everything i do mean everything and someone steps in and says look i can give you a trailer for a while now its not huge its not 2000 square feet but it will get you out of the rain when its raining and out of the heat when its 100 degrees out and out of the cold. Its not a tent where its moist and on the ground its a trailer where you can cook and keep clean. I saw both types of trailers the travel kind as well as the park kind which are bigger. Probably for the ones with familys. I saw two trailers on one persons lot guess because they had two familys that lived in that one home.
I know alot of people gives fema down the road and think the worse of them but there is different departments and this department trys its best to truly help people out. Years ago a trailer would not of been given out instead 100s of familys would of been gathered together all in one tent. Cooking and cleaning outside. These images dont even begin to tell what i really saw. I got these off the internet to show you. To see it real today almost a year later EVERYTHING GONE you know i saw people clothes thrown in trees still there clothes lined up against an old fence still there. Gators running around in what use to be neighborhoods which are now swamps. Theres no rebuilding there not like that. It was truly sad.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I do not think anyone has forgotten Rita. Its just that Katrina had a much larger death toll, more widespread damage, and a bigger government agency SNAFU involved, and people were a bit more prepared for Rita.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If this was in the 90's you would have all the aid you could get, but being as it is now, with a horrible economy (I mean good... cause the fed said so and you can just forget we have an inflation problem) there is no guidance, no one taking the blame and not enough money being put into the region. I am sorry for your home, it is a shame the system failed everyone in the region.

Go Democracy! :shk:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Thank you for being sorry for my home. Honestly though i dont live here. Just came to be with my husband who is working on both of those hurricanes. However it is sad to see all the disaster damages the hurricane caused.

new topics

top topics

join