It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear anti ship or sub mine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I skimmed a modern warships book at the store, and there was a picture of a surface ship with a massive plume of water behind it. It said that it a nuclear mine test
I can't remember the name of the project or the mine itself and was hoping some naval buffs here could help?

Do any navy's currently have nuclear mines in their inventory?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Check this out. It sounds like you are looking for some of those old tests in the Pacific. I remember one where they put submarines down there at different distances from the weapon, and then observed the effects via cameras. It looked crazy.

Also, there was the Blue Peacock nuclear mine project, which was pretty intresting. Good thing they never went though with it. Other than that, you're going to have to ask an expert or google it.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
thanks for the links they were interesting. Some of those pictures are impressive not to mention downright scary

I think what I saw a pic of in the book wasn't actually a mine, but rather a depth charge or nuclear depth bomb as I've seen them called from searching. I cant the pic I saw anywhere. It was a surface ship with a massive plume or mushroom cloud of water, more like a huge bubble on the surface

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
At various times during the cold war, they were making EVERYTHING nuclear. There were nuclear mines, nuclear torpedoes, nuclear depth charges, etc. We even had the Davy Crockett.
Not sure I'd want to be shooting that thing though.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Was it this photo from Operation Hardtrack I Umbrella?

Operation Hardtrack

Umbrella was a DOD sponsored weapons effects test for a medium depth underwater explosion. A Mk-7 bomb was used for the test (30 inches in diameter, 54 inches long, device weight 825 lb.) in a heavy pressure vessel (total weight 7000 lb.). Very similar to the Wahoo device. The device was detonated on the lagoon bottom NNE of Mut (Henry) Island. An underwater crater 3000 feet across and 20 feet deep was produced.

The test was performed in 150 ft of water with an 8kt yield on June 8, 1958.

new topics

top topics

join