It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Orders Seized Records Sealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
In a showdown over separation of government powers and the reach of executive authority, President Bush called a timeout today by ordering the records seized by the FBI from Congressman Jefferson's Capitol Hill office Saturday be sealed for 45 days. This is the first time in the over 200 year history of the US Congress that a federal search warrant has been executed on a congressional office in the Capitol building.

www.comcast.net
President Bush stepped into the Justice Department's constitutional confrontation with Congress on Thursday and ordered that documents seized in an FBI raid on a congressman's office be sealed for 45 days.

The president directed that no one involved in the investigation have access to the documents taken last weekend from the office of Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., and that they remain in the custody of the solicitor general.

In a statement, Bush said he recognized that Republican and Democratic leaders in the House had "deeply held views" that the search on Jefferson's Capitol Hill office violated the Constitution's separation of powers principles. But he stopped short of saying he agreed with them.

"Let me be clear: Investigating and prosecuting crime is a crucial executive responsibility that I take seriously," he said. "Those who violate the law _ including a member of Congress _ should and will be held to account. This investigation will go forward and justice will be served."

The raid, which historians said was the first such search of a congressman's Capitol quarters in the more than two centuries since the first Congress convened, set off loud complaints from both Republicans and Democrats that the executive branch was overstepping its authority.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Something big is going on behind the scenes here. This "cooling off period" is nothing more than a ploy to provide an opportunity for some kind of back channel deal to be struck.

Whatever documents were seized must have explosive content, and it wouldn't surprise me if it is some kind of effort on behalf of the executive branch to turn the tables on an increasingly hostile legislative branch and bring them to the bargaining table over a multitude of simmering issues threatening the stability of our federal government.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Just for safety sake, I'm posting a yahoo link for this story. I've had bad luck with comcast making their links unavailable.

For the record, I wonder at the timing of this presidential action.
Sure, the records are NOW sealed. But did the FBI already get all the data and information they needed?

[edit on 25-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
previous information can be found in the two ATSNN topics I posted. The initial event and the congress outcry can be found here

links:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

anyway I figured this was going to turn big, but surprisingly it hasn't gotten that much attention on ATS. Its a clear sign of how they feel they are above the laws that govern normal people.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I think it's rather fascinating. And I also think you're right. This is your real Watergate in the making here.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
At first I thought this FBI raid was all about taking out a Democratic congressman to give
Louisiana back to a Republican, but apparently after seeing what anyone connected to Abermoff
has gone through, this is now suddenly a major bi-partisan freak out.

I can see all the congressman saying to themselves, gosh if that was me
all hell would break loose.

I'm above the law, aren't I?

As far as the 45 day cooling off period.

Man the shredders everyone!

I really hope someone has the guts to overide Bush on this and starts to clean house.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
looking at all the threads concerning this I think its pretty amazing as an event. The congressmen are freaking out, democrat or republican, taking eachothers sides for once. Even crazier though, the public, regardless of democrat or republican is going let them burn. Something we as a public can agree on regardless of partisanship...I think thats why the democrats and rep. had to unite.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Is ALL of those guys know where the bodies are buried.

You can't take a single member of Congress down without there being some SERIOUS collateral damage. Let's be practical guys, the big boys all feed from the same trough, all that red/blue, Republican/Democrat is mostly just window dressing for consumption by the public.

It's a lot like when that guy recorded/busted Newt Gingrich making illegal deals over a cell phone. They backed the guy off making the allegations by pressuring the phone hacker with some serious federal charges. So the guy can't present his evidence in court without potentially doing MORE jail time than Newt. No evidence. No crime. Happy ending.

I feel another happy ending coming up...

[edit on 25-5-2006 by golemina]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Just for safety sake, I'm posting a yahoo link for this story. I've had bad luck with comcast making their links unavailable.

Snaps to you for the pro-active effort!

For the record, I wonder at the timing of this presidential action.
Sure, the records are NOW sealed. But did the FBI already get all the data and information they needed?

Apparently they got quite a bit, including copies of everything on Jefferson's computer, as well as letters requesting donations to the legal defense fund Jefferson created to defray his legal bills. And they do have the videotape showing him accepting the $100K bribe.

As far as the timing, apparently Bush did it upon request from Dennis Hastert, whose own activities have raised an eyebrow recently.

It's interesting to note that Jefferson himself also said the sealing of the records was a good move.

Imo, the Congress is trying to stretch the meaning of the provision to grant them total immunity from investigation. This was not it's original intent.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Get rid of every single one of em...
you do get what is going on right?

when it is our rights and privacy being removed... all is well
But the first minute that our senate and congress are looked at also...

WEEEEELLLLL buddy....
that changes things...
All of a sudden, these whiners realize that the overwhelming powers that they allow the president to have, can very well be used against them also...

*snip*

the reason this is so bipartisan supported
(amazingly the first true bipartisan effort yet)
is because it is such a crooked game, everyone of the reps knows they would have fallen just as easy...

Its been business as usual for so long, that the senate and house, dont even really understand that it is wrong!
they have totally lost touch with the people...

in 08, be sure to vote for anyone, but a member of the "good ol boys" club...
08 will be the year of the woman candidate...

Edited some non-needed comments.

[edit on 26-5-2006 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I just have one question...

Which party is it that is not one of the 'good ole boys'?

All of the politicians are 100% corrupt. Well, except for 3-4 choir boys...

Exactly what is it that anyone can do?

Go to court?

I live in King County WA. The courts are EVEN MORE CORRUPT than the politicians. I've seen with my own two little eye balls an Asst DA submit poorly cut-n-pasted 'documents' in which she falsified communications logs. Only problem she sent it successfully! to an area code that DOES NOT EXIST. Every person in that court room saw the gaff... Judge, attorneys, clerks, yada yada yada...

All the county, state, federal agencies REFUSE to do anything.

So, you want to 'vote' them out of office...

Sounds good if you even believe 1% in the marketing glossy version of America doled out for consumption by the public...

I'd love to hear a real plan.

What is going to happen is there will be an investigation... Worse case a couple of sacrificial lambs will be offered up... Or just maybe they'll pass a new law! Yes sir... NOW we are cooking with gas!

Vote the bums out!!! sounds good on paper.

Take care man.

new topics

top topics

join