It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

uh...yall?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
im psychochick... ive lived in new orleans all my life and i was kinda into ats the week before katrina hit. after that i had no computer and other things to do. my house flooded a bit so i went to texas for a while. then my parents made me come back to and it kinda sux, they still havnt picked most of the trash up and a lot of stores are still closed, but its not that bad. im really suprised that anyone aside from N.O residents cares about this #. everyone keeps saying they wish they could just forget about the hurricane and move on. so WHY does everyone keep talking about it? yeah, its almost strom season again and everyones freaking out over the levees. if another one comes, we're pretty screwed no matter what we do. there is NOTHING this pisses me off than walking into the kitchen in the morning and seeing the headline "10 things the government couldve done better during katrina". whatever it was, they didnt do them. ITS OVER. this is probably on the wrong board or something and reading back over this it dosnt sound like something id normally say, but thought that since there was a nice little board devoted to the K-bitch i thought i throw my two cents in. cheerio bubs.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
You know, you're right...

Barely anybody (on cable news) was talking about the dangers at New Orleans if a Cat 3 or higher hit there. It was largely ignored over the years. Now everyone wants to talk about it after the damage is done.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What I find shocking is that people would move back into new orleans, knowing that the levees are being rebuilt to withstand, at best, a Category 3 hurricane.

Do you think people will get the message if a Category 4 or 5 rips up the new levees this season? Or will it have to occur for a few seasons more?

Also, what do the people that live there, psychochick, think about the fact that New Orleans is sub-siding, iow, sinking, into the ground, becomming more and more below sea level, each day?

I know that its difficult to move out of a place a person has a stake in, so don't get me wrong, I don't think that the peopel are 'idiots' or something like that.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
most of the people who came back are either people who're in love with the culture, people like my dad who're afriad of getting a job transfer, people who have some strong personal connection to the city, or people like me who are related to one of the above and have no say in the matter. before katrina, people had always been told that the city would be a lake one day, but were never particualrly concerned. to tell you the truth, they still arnt that concerned. a lot of people are wierdly convinced that the government is going to somehow prevent another huricane from hitting the city. or they just dont care. new orleans is a cool place. # happens

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Its really unfortunate too because hurricane's like Katrina aren't spectacular or unusual. By rebuilding New Orleans in this way, we are absolutely guarenteing a repeat.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A repeat is right. This will hapen again if the levees aren't built to survive the most powerfull huricanes possible.

Basicly just building up for a breakdown again..

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think it is important for people to realize the total failure on so many levels of gov't, pyschochik. People need to understand what happened in NOLA. It was bad, maybe my opinion is the way it is because I live here, too. There can be devastating natural disasters anywhere, and this was a serious example of all that could go wrong. Personally, as someone who stayed here through it, I think that the TP should keep blasting anyone they can on this. People should be in trouble, at all levels. Do you realize our president was strumming a guitar at his ranch when he should have been prepping for this? It's like going into a test without studying. Personally I am pissed off, I am angry. Have you not noticed how things are still falling apart in some ways?

Sure the "city" *ie, Garden District/French Quarter* are all that the tourists usually see anyway, and life is going on there, but everywhere else it is really really messed up (I don't need to tell you that, I know).

Crime is rising up, its affecting different areas now, our wonderful police chief is stationing the police officers at traffic intersections to "wave at folks" in order to improve the public view of NOPD, and our oldest healthcare provider is shut down (Charity).

Construction is going on, but do you realize that all these people that don't have insurance are more likely to not recieve that adequate health care they would need if something happened at a jobsite?

People need to be angry, things need to be slammed. At the same time, positive change and reinforcement of those positive changes must occur, but really, I don't want to take it out on the American people, but we must take it out on local, state, and federal officials who could have at least "cared" a little more. Sure caring is not in a job title, but come on now, we are still human at the core. What I saw here after K was not human, it was horrific.

To a lighter subject, happy you are here, and who knows, our world has gotten so much smaller here, we may know each other.

What part of the city you in?

join