It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grow an Garden?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
Isn't anyone worried about bid-flu infested birds getting at their garden and infecting the plants? I don't even know if that is possible, but I think I remember reading somewhere bird flu can live in bird feces for up to 3 days.

Anyone have any tips as to what grows well indoors without a lot of light (I have no sunroom).

Bump.

Does anyone have info about bird flu in bird feces affecting our survival gardens or what crops grow well indoors?

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
what crops grow well indoors?

Crops that grow well indoors would include those that do not require that much light. Herbs, and many greens can tolerate low light levesl.

If you plan on including light suuplementation, then it would all depend on how much you were willing to invest. You can grow red ripe tomatos indoors, or anything else for that matter, if you are willing to invest the time, energy, and money.

As for the bird flu...I have no clue. I am still using bat, and sea-bird guano to fertilize, so I guess I will see.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Tip for working with green beans:

Work with them dry. Pick them dry, clean/string them dry. Slice them dry. Rinse them off just before you stick them in the pan.

I guess if you're worried by poop stuck on them, you can rinse them in a light clorox solution before you start cleaning/cutting. Then rinse, rinse, rinse.

But my old mama told me that if you pick beans early in the morning while they're wet from the dew or a nighttime shower, they turn black or start getting black spots before you get a chance to use them. So stay out of them till they have a chance to dry up first.

I use the light clorox rub for melons, squash, gourds, etc. stuff I buy from market too. Anything laying on the ground with a thick enough skin to handle it.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I didn't know that pepper plants were perennials. This is one from last year that I brought indoors in the fall because it still had peppers growing and I have a rosemary in the same crock.

I stuck the impatient in there this year for color. They will overwinter too, but get pretty straggly looking after a while.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I remember being in a restaurant down South once ordering green beans as a side dish. The waitress called it animal fodder, "What is it with you Yankees eating animal fodder?" (They're on the menu for us dumbass Yanks, I guess?)

When I open a pack of seeds I'm kinda like a Johnny Appleseed and put a few here and there to see where they grow best. They surprise me later, it's like finding treasure. This bean stalk is growing up next to the clematis on a trellis by the kitchen porch column.

A stringbean...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join