It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar bears could be extinct...is it happening anywhere else?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
On the news over the past couple of days, there have been numerous news reports regarding global warming and its effect on the Canadian environment. There was a study done showing the rivers flowing north had increased in temperature an average of 3 degrees, which would negatively affect the natural habitat. Another showed that the ozone hole over Canada has increased 4 - 15%, and to take precaution in the sun this summer as the uvb rays would be intense. Just now a report has come out saying that the arctic ice cap is decrasing by 8% a year, giving polar bears 25 years until extinction. Here is a link to the polar bear story, I will see if the others are still active.

www.ctv.ca...

After watching a documentary on global dimming, I am wondering if this could be a prelude of things to come. I have worked outside for the past 10 years (southern Ontario), and do not recall it being this hot in April....i've already had a couple of sunburns.

Is it just getting hot in North America, or is anyone seeing similar reports on global warming in other countries? curious...

[edit on 22-4-2006 by poolboy]

[edit on 22-4-2006 by poolboy]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The Polar Bear is one of the most popular animals in the world, just ask any kid what's his favorite animal at the zoo and they will invariably answer Polar Bear.

This should peak people's attention, as this is not an insect or a rodent that nobody cares about, but rather one of the most endearing animals on this planet. It truely would be sad to see this happen. With that said though we have a significant breeding population in zoo's around the world. So even though they very likely could be come extinct in the wild, they would still exist in zoos.

Still, this does not justify the gross injustice of losing this magnificent animal.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
We have entered another period of Great Extinction. Many, many animals are under threat of extinction.
I'm not sure what you mean by your question "is it happening anywehre else" - could you clarify a little?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Something that they didn't mention was that because there are less ice islands for them, they must swim longer distances, they burn up all their calories, therefore they can't support normal litters.

This planet is doomed, I give it 'till 2012.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
We have entered another period of Great Extinction. Many, many animals are under threat of extinction.
I'm not sure what you mean by your question "is it happening anywehre else" - could you clarify a little?

Most of the news i see or hear is locally based, and lately there have been alot of studies coming out showing how the earth is getting increasingly warmer.
There is a lot of hype being generated globally for reforms on global warming at the moment. I was wondering if any new studies had come out in other countries showing these effects of global warming.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by poolboy

I was wondering if any new studies had come out in other countries showing these effects of global warming.

Lots. Ie., search "6th Mass Extinction." Also search 2006 Biodiversity Conference - or Conference on Biodiversity. ?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I found this article which is pretty interesting. Apparently, polar bears have been cross breeding with Grizzly bears. Maybe this is how they will stave off extinction.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Yeah, I saw that on the news last night. The speculation is that global warming is causing the species to merge.
At least if the PB goes extinct, it's gene's can still be found.
Imagine the grizzly saving the polar bear, something we can't seem to do.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Grizzly's and Polar Bears never used to come into contact with each other,
two totally different habitats. Sounds like the Grizzlys are moving North because
of the warming trend in the artic, and coming in contact with the Polar Bears.

[edit on 12-5-2006 by TheHorseChestnut]

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
One would think also that the polar bears would go further north as the earth warms, but they have an increasing barrier, water, and less water ice to cross towards the north, this IMO could actually be forcing the polar bear southwards to mate with grizzlies as well?

top topics

join