It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: Military arm of Government, or as arm of People?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Just an idea, but what are you thoughts on this. Are current world militaries, say US for example, more under the governments control. Or is it used as was intended Constitutionally?

Was listening to Condi "Briefing for International Security", live on C-SPAN. One of the guys used that in his question, and I agreed with him.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
US military is under civilian control, and president is commander-in-chief. How such power is used depends on how civilians are willing to use military. Stretching "common defence" to mean invading Iraq is a long stretch, for example. One can always come up with a pretext for foreign invasion as "protecting" America, nay, "American interest", which one general did admit is oil. If Mexican pottery is found to be an American interest, we invade Mexico.
Now, using the National Guard on foreign soil to "defend" us makes me more fearful, as National Guard has traditionally helped out (effectively) on American soil in times of disaster.
I would say misuse.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Why do you think any of this will matter look no one CARES NO ONE!!!!
ITS FUNNY you think it matters and you dont even see it cause your a silly person looking at your sheet right now when i GET YOU IT IS DONE!!! This will be done and I can finally geton with my life BECAUSE YOU RUINED IT AND I HAVE YOU NOW!!!

(mod edit- Mind your mouth! No name calling will be tolerated )

[edit on 29-5-2006 by asala]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I must be missing something here. Lurker? Advisor? WTF?

The US military as visualized by the founding fathers was for selfdefense to protect our country. I doubt even the most visionary of the bunch foresaw what the United States would become in just over 200 years, the most militarily and economicly powerful nation-state that has ever been.

Our nations reach and interests are global, our military reach must be as well in order to protect those interests. It really is that simple. The complications arise when we try to decide what those interests are. Supposedly, that is why we elect the best people to represent us and decide what those interests are.

Our military has been misused in the past, without a doubt. That is why we need competent people in government. Not just the lesser of two evils. Or the famous anybody but...whomever. With that sort of attitude, is it any wonder that the two major parties don't heed the will of the voter anymore?

Sorry, I've gone off on a tanjent here. So I will stop.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I can finally geton with my life

Well, WHY DONT YOU!
geton OUTA HERE!

Talk about a NUTcase......
What is your problem?

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
How is it, this Lurker guy has systematically went to every one of Advisor's recent posts and violated the T&C's Numerous times. Calling Advisor any number of derogatory remarks, and still allowed to post here. And a member since 3.23.03 no less. WTF

Lurker, im not sure what your major malfunction is, or how it is you have been here this long and not been handed the ban hammer, but if you are who you say you are. Then quit sittin ur A$$ in front of the computer screen, name calling on a forum and go get him. If he is more detrimental and dangerous than we know, Get Him! No? Hmm Advisors still here...Ok then, thats now lies & name calling. any other rule you wanna break while your at it?

new topics

top topics

join