It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird flu: the secret Cabinet document

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Discussed in this article are the plans for mass graves, best and worst case scenarios concerning deaths, and plans for vaccination of the population - depending on priority, of course.

Source

Key quote "Scientific modelling suggests that it may only take 2-3 weeks from the virus first entering the UK to its being widespread," - Cabinet Office paper

Story in full THE death toll from a bird flu pandemic in Britain could be more than 700,000, according to a confidential government report seen by The Scotsman.

With all "secret" documents discovered, it is necessary to wonder if they are real or not. However, this article seems to at least be accurate in its discussion of the bird flu. What is of concern is the statement that the bird flu would only take 2 - 3 weeks to become wide spread after entering the country - assuming it could travel to humans.

Enjoy

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Mmm, yes, well, thinking it could travel human-to-human is the main point. If it can, they're all screwed. 700, 000 easy. That virus is some bad stuff.

But if it cannot, and can only be passed on through airbourne life to make major jumps from place to place, then the number will be a lot less, around the order of 20, 000 people [guestimate].

But once that virus manages direct, first degree human-to-human transmission, then the pissy little quarantine measures we have in place will count for NOTHING. By the time the government open thier eyes we will all be dead.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Thanks, an interesting article - good find

It is always very intersting to read how different governments discuss various possibilities to prepaire for possible worst cases.

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Mmm, yes, well, thinking it could travel human-to-human is the main point. If it can, they're all screwed. 700, 000 easy. That virus is some bad stuff.

But if it cannot, and can only be passed on through airbourne life to make major jumps from place to place, then the number will be a lot less, around the order of 20, 000 people [guestimate].

High fatality worst case scenarios involve human-to-human respiratory transmission.

But the H5N1 virus is like HIV/AIDS - it is shed in bodily fluids and spreads mainly via wastewater into waterways, and on physical contact. The virus can live for months on cold surfaces and up to 200 days in water; it infects fish, and animals that drink contaminated water. Unlike most flus, H5N1 can enter the human body through the gut as well as the respiratory system - via contaminated water and infected meat. Other vectors may exist as well.

Virologists know (H5N1) infection occurs through contact with blood, feces and other body fluids, and WHO officials recently reiterated the flu virus is also airborne, posing even a greater threat than AIDS.

Cheng said there may be other cases in which people became infected through human-to-human transmission, but there isn't enough evidence to prove it. There may also be many less severely ill people going unnoticed.

Birds spread the disease through droppings and other secretions, which often contaminate shared feed and water. Domesticated birds show a sudden decline in egg production a few days after they contract the illness; other symptoms include nasal discharge, ...severe internal bleeding, organ damage, and sudden death.

(H5N1), spread through bird feces, saliva and infected water... "You have to test the birds and test the water," Fair said. "If you find it in a lake, influenzas can hang around for a month. Some studies have shown it staying over 200 days." ...The longer the disease remains in the water, the more likely it is to find other host species, Fair said.

A German scientist said Tuesday the entry of faeces from infected poultry into the food chain via fish was a likely cause of the global spread of bird flu - and not migrating wild birds.

'We are moving away from the assumption that migrating birds are the cause,' said Josef H. Reichholf, a zoology professor at Munich's Technical University, in a comment published by the newspaper Die Welt.

'We will have to live with bird flu in the future,' said Reichholf, adding: 'Perhaps we already have been for years and just didn't know it because ...dead birds ...were not tested.'

H5N1 9A ...severely attacks fish with particular virulence. The fish bones turn soft...

Although H5N1 bird flu has been associated with gastro symptoms for a long time, the link is dismissed by the media - presumably to prevent panic and protect the meat industry.

July, 2004: We report the first case of avian influenza in a patient with fever and diarrhea but no respiratory symptoms. Avian influenza should be included in the differential diagnosis for patients with predominantly gastrointestinal symptoms, particularly if they have a history of exposure to poultry.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't get the vaccine if I were you. It could have the link hidden in it to allow easier transmission. If the vaccine is introduced, I want to see the president take it first.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
how do you know if the govt hasnt done the link already , thru the regular flu shots u get.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Thanks, soficrow, for the additional informaiton and links. If H5N1 does survive in water for approx 200 days, than many will contract the disease. Where I live, Alaska, we are in the migratory bird flight path and they are expecting infected birds in the next few weeks. Since we get our water from lakes that ducks, geese and other waterfowl like to frequent, this may be an issue.

What I am wondering is if temperature (our lakes are very cold) and the addition of chemicals during water treatment have any effect on the virus. I will check this out when I can.

As for taking or not taking a flu shot - I have never taken a flu shot, but if offered I may take it int his case. I really doubt that the govt is planning a mass execution of the American population. There are easier and cheaper ways of doing that. What I won't do is enter into any quarantine stations - I will be at home with my family, protecting them as necessary

Oh, I have taken my bird feeder down - I usually have herds of little birds on my deck - they poop alot. However, the hummingbird feeder stays.

Peace to all!

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I'm glad I didn't get the flu shot, then. I bet the new Tamiflu meds will have stuff in them too. I agree, I want Bush to take the shot before I do.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
sacrifice - PLEASE, do not go after the birds. This disease is way complex and has many vectors. The birds really are being scapegoated. Probably to identify a target/villain, prevent panic, etc.

DO filter and BOIL YOUR WATER. This virus thrives in cold; dies more quickly in hot weather.

Good luck - and save those hummingbirds.

top topics

join