It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

upstate new york

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
my friend's father ecently showed him a map of our area,(saratoga springs) and my friend was very surprised to see an airbase in the mountains nearby. this map was from the 60's or 70's. his dad then showed him a map from only a couple years ago, and the airbase is gone!!! it doesn't show an empty base, it just shows a forest! anyone heard anything or have any ideas?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
that sounds interesting, might be time for a road/hiking trip up there to see if there is anything still left.

All I can think of to justify that is that 1) something really secret is going on up there, or 2) it's something that the cartographers didn't think was important to include :S god knows why.

Just a quick q. what sort of map was it, ie. USGS, street directory, etc?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This may be of some help: Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields

If you have a bit more info (like, which direction out of Saratoga Springs) we may be able to assist better.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Isn't Montauk supposed to be situated in that area?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Wow that sounds quite intersting maybe they took the base down and let the forest grow in it's place I am not saying that there isn't the possiblity of somthing werid going on it was just a thought

[edit on 22-3-2006 by ShadowdragonAP45]

[edit on 22-3-2006 by ShadowdragonAP45]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments! i'm not sure what type of maps they were, but i think i see where you're going with that. it is north of Saratoga, about 10-15 miles from my friend's house.Yeah! where was Montauk? also, don't know if this helps, it's supposed to be near something called Devil's Den, which, i'm told, is basically this huge hole in the ground that you can hike down into. more info as i get it.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i thought the devils den was a rock formation near Gettysburg, PA !? I went to it when I was a very young child, and you can climb all around on it, good time. And montauk is on Long Island, its not near upstate NY, no? Get back on topic of the airbase that vanished.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Montauk Point in NY had a derlic Air Force base called Camp Hero and was used for secret gov experiements such as the Phoenix project and such things as time travel experiements. Don't know if it's the spot you discovered or not.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Montauk is not in upstate NY. Montauk is the south eastern tip of long island.

there have been some base closings in NY in the past. Can't recall the names but I remember reading about at least one.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Can you give a better description of the location? I live outside Albany but know the region well.

Saratoga County is south of Saratoga Springs. You have Russel Field, Heber Airpark, and Shaw Field northeast of Saratoga Springs. If you go further north, you have Lake Luzern Seaplane Base, Warren County airport, and east of that airport there is Argyle airport.

Even further north than that you have Granville and Bennett's airports, and Northwest Waterbird Seaplane base.

And finally north of Lockwood Bay you have Schroon Lake airport, with Ticondaroga Municipal airport east of it.

If you can give landmarks close to where you are talking about we should be able to identify the field in question, or at least the area, which would make for an interesting hiking trip this summer.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Not Montauk but I've read of a MK-ULTRA base in Malta which is very close to saratoga springs. I'm from Clifton Park, about 20 miles south of Saratoga Springs.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Where is that?
Is it in a 100 mile radius of Westchester ? Would love to drive there and explore.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY was closed down in 1996, but the base certainly wasn't abandoned... a large amount of the old AF real estate became a business park.

other than that, I can't remember hearing about any base closings in upstate NY, and even if a base were closed, it's unlikely that it would be overgrown with trees in such a short time.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
if you found an abandoned airport (like say in minnesota) would it be illegal to go into a hanger (if it has one)? do you guys know or not?

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
if you found an abandoned airport (like say in minnesota) would it be illegal to go into a hanger (if it has one)? do you guys know or not?

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I don't know any landmarks to direct from, if you know where route 9 is, it's north and west of broadway in saratoga, i think. as for the guy/girl talking about trees growing over it in such a short time, that's my point. in the span of 30 or so years, i find it improbable that a whole forrest wouls sprout up in the place of an airbase.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Do some Urban Exploration. It's cool. I know someone who found a couple of loaded rifle-mags and a flashbang grenade laying around inside a medical facility that had been used for urban combat training by the military.

Lots of cool places out there. check it out on www.UER.ca

www.uer.ca...

www.uer.ca...

www.uer.ca...
www.uer.ca...
www.uer.ca...
www.uer.ca...

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Aztecatl]