It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Residents flee as worst cyclone in decades heads for Australian coast...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Residents flee as cyclone heads for Australian coast

Thousands of residents fled their homes as the worst cyclone to threaten Australia's Queensland state for decades bore down on the coast.

Tropical Cyclone Larry was expected to hit the north-eastern state early Monday with wind gusts of up to 280 kilometres (175 mph) an hour and storm surges of up to two metres (6.6 feet), the weather bureau said.

Mandatory evacuations were enforced in several coastal areas including holiday resorts in the path of the cyclone, the national AAP news agency reported.

More...

Yup, it's happening even down there...

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Really amazing such a Tropical Cyclone on this time of the year (is it Tropical Cyclone Season there?).

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here is the Warning.

And, here is another article....

Expected to intensify to cat 5...

Areas along the far north Queensland coast have been evacuated as one of the most severe tropical cyclones in recent history continues to track towards Innisfail.

Tropical Cyclone Larry is expected to intensify to a category 5, with winds up to 280 kilometres an hour, before crossing the coast between Innisfail and Mission Beach tomorrow morning.

Evacuation centres have been set up between Ingham and Innisfail as Cyclone Larry tracks towards the coast at about 25 kilometres an hour.

More...

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Larry has been upgraded to a Cat. 5 storm.

ABC News Online: Cyclonic winds, rain lash far north coast

several hundred kilometres of the far north coast will be affected.

"It's the next four or five hours that will be the worst. Our warning system is predicated on winds of gale force intensity not on where the centre will cross, so the impact of it will be felt further to the north"

Coastal residents between Cairns and Townsville are specifically warned of the dangerous storm tide as the cyclone crosses the coast.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I just spotted this story on the news. This is a booger-bear! I hope everyone is safe and sound, but they are fearing wide-spread damage.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Regenmacher,

You're crazier than i am.

I do hope all of our posters from that area are safe and hope we will hear from them soon.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hey guys not sure if these links will be of much help but figured i'd post them anyway.

Australia Webcam Locator (quite a few coastal webcams)

Found this one via Google but the site is currently down. Listed as the "Coastal Data Center (Online access to Government coastal and marine databases.)" www.coastaldata.transport.wa.gov.au...

Prayers with all our Aussie ATSers whom may be in harm's way... good luck guys.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It's being described as one of the biggest Cyclones ever seen and on
a par with Katrina.

It is the middle of the Hurricane Season in the South Pacific
but the Hurricanes rarely reach as far south as Australia.

See latest link

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Man - Regenmacher, you always put up such post, full of pictures, which seem to always just Make my Day.

And ofcourse - they are Very informative.

You have voted Regenmacher for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

But you are indeed Crazy!

Back to topic - I hope People are Safe from this Monster...

Super cyclone hits northeastern Australia

AFP/NASA-HO/File Photo: View of a cyclone approaching Australia that was just below Category-5-strength status, in 2005.

"This cyclone is a category five now and compared to Tracy, which was also a category five ... the heart of Tracy was 47 kilometers (28 miles), this is 100 kilometers and the front itself is 300 to 400," Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Good luck over the tasman aussie friends.
We've had tornadoes here in new zealand recently which is very rare.
Things just seem to be changing way too much!

Praying that no one is hurt....

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This storm is more intense than Katrina or any storm that has made landfall in the US in my lifetime, the only one that comes close is Andrew.

Good Luck to anyone in Larry's path. The reports I've heard arent good, with 'houses being ripped apart'

www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Dgtempe and Souljah, they don't call me the desert kook for nothing

I added a little more to the post above. Seriously, I hope them folks are going to be alright!

Australians flee epic tropical storm

Sydney - A powerful tropical cyclone packing winds of up to 290km/h slammed into Australia's north-eastern coast on Monday after more than 1 000 tourists and local residents were evacuated to higher ground, the weather bureau said.

Tropical cyclone Larry smashed into the coastal community of Innisfail, about 100km south of Cairns, a popular jumping-off point for the Great Barrier Reef, forecaster Jonty Hall said.

The weather bureau on Monday upgraded the storm to a category five - the strongest category possible - and thousands of local residents were evacuated ahead of the cyclone's arrival.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

NRL NexSat - Pacific Southern Hemipshere
Lots of hi-Res sat photos - new Navy site

[edit on 19-3-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Regenmacher,

Dont change. You're a breath of fresh air. I truly like you.

Any word yet from anyone that way?

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Oh crap.....its bad......update here:

www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The best to the people downunder.

We would like to hear any news from members who live downunder, and more so after the cyclone passes and if any members live in those areas that are being affected.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Been watching Larry since yesterday, I think he was only a Cat 2 then, and now he's a 5

good luck australia, I hope people there have some experience in preparing for hurricanes, because as Rege points out, there's another behind it.

now a question to our crazy friend
think this is related to La Nina???

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
now a question to our crazy friend
think this is related to La Nina???

According to the Aussie's the ENSO conditions are nuetral, so it looks like we can chalk this one up to global warming and perhaps the coronal stream/geomagnetic storm spun in an atmospheric vortex to strengthen the cyclone(s). Seen this happen more than once last year in the Atlantic Basin.

FORECAST ENSO CONDITIONS Australia-Bureau of Meteorology

La Nina has 'no effect' on Qld -ABC Online, Australia

Moe says maybe it was the Japanese Mafia...nyuk nyuk nyuk wiseguy ehh.
ATSNN: Weatherman Quits, says Japanese Mobsters Causing Hurricanes

[edit on 19-3-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Thanks for those informative links Rege

I'm really beginning to think that geomagnetic activity does indeed contribute to stronger storms.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the words of support everyone.
Luckily, Larry should miss the major cities in the region. Eyewitness reports are describing it as the biggest winds they've ever seen. This is about the foruth cyclone this year, the others hitting the NW coast.

Here's the latest report

Name: Larry
Severity Category: 3
Situation At: 11.30 AM EST Monday 20 March 2006
Warning Area: Inland areas over the southwest Atherton Tablelands extending inland to Normanton
Recent Movement: W at 30 km/h
Remarks: The VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE of SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE LARRY with GUSTS of
approximately 200 km/h is affecting the southwestern Atherton Tablelands. Winds
have eased in coastal parts between Cape Tribulation and Ingham.

Severe Tropical Cyclone Larry will move further inland during the day, with
winds gradually weakening.

The next threat map will be issued by 1 pm AEST Monday 20th March.

www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

looks like Innisfail copped the brunt of it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join