It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flamingo Deaths Spark Bird Flu Probe in Bahamas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
More good news...
Let's hope it's not H5N1.

Flamingo Deaths Spark Bird Flu Probe in Bahamas

NASSAU - Health experts were dispatched on Tuesday to the southern Bahamas island of Inagua to find out if an unexplained spate of bird deaths was linked to a deadly bird flu virus that is spreading around the globe.

Over the past two days, 15 of the island's famed flamingos, five roseate spoonbills and one cormorant have been found dead with no external injuries on the island just north of Haiti, officials said.
Scientists from the Bahamas Ministry of Agriculture and the Department of Environmental Health will gather samples from the birds and then submit them for laboratory analysis.

More...

If this turns out to be true.... Then I find the timing of this VERY ODD:

Don't rely on the government to rescue you in the event of a pandemic like avian flu, Gov. Bush warned Thursday.

Bush said it's logical to assume that Florida would be one of the first states to see avian flu.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Here's somewhat of an update.
It seems they won't know for about 5 days if the Western Hemisphere has it's first confirmed case of H5N1

www.bloomberg.com...

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
They have plans for us. Which will get us first? A nuke? The Avian Flu?

Your guess is as good as mine. I'd put my money on the nukes or a huge attack right here in the USA.

How else will people stop their madness and stop asking qustions of the government and shut up???

Its simple. They have plans for us.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

If this turns out to be true.... Then I find the timing of this VERY ODD:

Don't rely on the government to rescue you in the event of a pandemic like avian flu, Gov. Bush warned Thursday.

Bush said it's logical to assume that Florida would be one of the first states to see avian flu.

Loam - please let us know when they have confirmed if it is or if it isn't. The Florida thing really caught my eye due to a really severe and un-named illness that has been spreading around Florida since September and no one seems to know what it is. But reports are now coming in from elsewhere.

I don't think it's human bird flu yet, but isn't this exactly the type of thing that can cause the avian flu to mutate into a pandemic?

We are discussing it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Loam, I would appreciate it if you have time to pop in on this thread and give us your take on this.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I decided to check out the CDC site today. There is an article (page says last updated March 1, 2006), but there is no mention of what is currently being investigated.

This caught my eye though because it is entirely contrary to what we have been hearing elsewhere all along, although it has been discussed at here at ATS(no human to human transmission).

www.cdc.gov...

So far, the spread of H5N1 virus from person-to-person has been rare and has not continued beyond one person.

There it is folks! Straight from the CDC. It has occurred.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   

There it is folks! Straight from the CDC. It has occurred

What this means is that it's not sustainable tranmission. Humans can and have gotten it but usually in an environment that is around poultry, dead or sick birds or by eating infected poultry.
The familial clusters that have occured are transmitted between each family member but is unsustained meaning they aren't passing it to anyone on the street only within the family unit.

I really do feel for you and the area in which is infected with the virus that never seems to stop but it's highly unlikely that it is the Avian Flu.
This flu has an extremely high morality rate and if that's what was happening it would be an attention grabber because there would be numerous deaths accompany it.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Nowhere in the world has this "pandemic" jumped to humans. Only bird handlers, or in the case of the cat in Germany, who came in direct eating contact with a live infected bird.

I dont think we have anything to worry about. It will eventually come here, maybe its already here, but not in a form that is dangerous to us yet.

I think other things will get us first.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
www.cdc.gov...

Excellent info Relentless. Did you happen to catch this
link at that site?

www.whitehouse.gov...

hmmmm. They are getting ready. Definately.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Bahamas Officials: Birds Didn't Die of Flu

The deaths of wild birds on an island in the Bahamas appear to be unrelated to bird flu, officials said Thursday. A preliminary report from experts dispatched to the island of Great Inagua to investigate the death of flamingos and other migratory birds this week stated there were fewer dead birds than first thought and that they did not seem to have died of bird flu, the national park director said. "The experts have reported that they have seen no sign of bird flu, and no new deaths of flamingos or any other species," said Eric Carey, director of parks and science for the Bahamas National Trust. Authorities previously reported 15 West Indies flamingos, five roseate spoon bills and a cormorant had been found dead, but experts found only five dead birds on the island, Agriculture Minister Leslie Miller said. Great Inagua has about 60,000 West Indies flamingos, the world's largest breeding colony of this bird, which migrates through the Caribbean.

Great news.

new topics

top topics

join