It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MTV: the downfall of good music and rise of reality shows.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
im sry but for past 5 or so years ive noticed the how mainstream music has been getting worse and worse.

im sick and tired of stupid bands like fall out boy, my chemical romance and all those other so called rock bands where there singer sounds like his nuts were cut off winning awards and getting airplay when they have no musical talent. and i dont know how in the world rap can be conidered music . most of it is just the same thing over and over again , but i do belive some rap has some really good and intelligent lyrics and i can respect it for that. but everything else is just crap.

and now this so called station thats "devoted" to music just puts on stupid reality shows with no point and horrendus dating shows

i means who the hell came up with Date my mom?

sry but IMO MTV can just die...

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I've always hated MTV, though I'm a part of that generation that grew up with it. I too am sick of this crap. They dont make great music like they used to, I like a few bands like Audioslave, Disturbed and some others, but I'm still a classic rock guy. I love my Zeppelin, Who, Bad Company, Allman Brothers ect. The list could go on forever. Nowhere in the foreseable future do I see any truely great musicians emerging. Down with MTV, its not even about music anymore, its about pop culture, which also sucks by the way.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Whats with all theese dancing competition shows? and turning people in to celebraties by dressing them like them? :shk: pimp my rides good though! at least the American version ours sucks,

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I take the 20 bucks a month it would cost me to add on MTV (via a package) to my cable and spend it on 4 $5 cover local indie/unsigned/unknown rock shows. Much healthier than sitting in front of the ol' boob tube, and I actually get to hear some GOOD music. Plus the drinks ain't bad.

Well I guess that kinda negates the "healthy" comment, but oh well. Booze is a necessary evil

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Like the very first song played on MTV.
Video Killed the Radio Star.

indeed.

Every now and then a group pops up that has a bit of longevity, not because the chicks in the video have big boobs..but because there is some actual talent lurking in there..!

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
its a crap channel, i never watch it

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I haven't watched MTV for years, it's too surreal to see people so wrapped up in "pop culture" and their own importance in the "celebrity scene"....I can't watch it without feeling a little insane at the thought of these gimps getting money for pleasing record company executives.

However, the days of Beavis and Butthead weren't too bad, Alice in Chains, the Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, man, even Nirvana were great looking back.....they might have been the band that helped kill the whole scene, but they sounded good doing it. There were a few short years that had a lot of good music for me. But it's all over, you can't watch MTV because it's clearly ridiculous beyond comment, and even the "MTV2" we've got for "alternative" is usually full of My Bloody Valentine, Him, Franz Ferdinand (and the 300 Franz-wannabe bands) etc.

In Summary "Grumble Grumble, Music were better when I was a kid"

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big_BIRDsry but IMO MTV can just die...

You know, why stop there? Just take the one eyed god out back, douse it in petrol, and strike a match.

No need to thank me.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Music has lost it's edge. These days bands and musicians are owned and managed by everybody and thier mother. They don't even write thier own music. Working for MCA

Imo, music started to really change into this pop culture crap back in 94-95, the same with MTV.

I still listen to alot of todays music, like Outkast, Saliva, Cold and a few other bands that are keepin it real....but for the most part Southern Classic Rock is where's it's at.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Music has been in the dumps for awhile.

This snowball has been getting bigger and bigger for years. With the death of Cobain, the surge of test tube Boy bands, teenagers that are millionaires and have life by the balls.. but are singing songs about how bad life is and how they are such victims. All because they don't fit into the crowd...

You expect me to pay $40 or so to see this crap in concert, and listen to some kid tell me how bad he has it while he has thousands of girls throwing their bras at him and he's cashing 5 and 6 digit payroll cheques.

Now the boybands are coming back.. only they are on their own. Trying to pursue solo careers... :bnghd:

Onto Television...

Personally I don't mind the state of television at the moment. It has been worse in recent years. I see us on the upslope. We are slowly leaving behind, the Bachelor, Bachelorette, Do you want to marry *Insert Anything Here*

Reality TV is still as bad as it was, but the worst is slowly dropping off. Shows like the Apprentice I believe are worthwhile, while others will not survive much longer.

Alot of big shows of the 90's are leaving or have left, so we are in an era where alot of the shows of tomorrow should be starting.

Years ago, Philbiln and ABC broke out with Millionaire than all of the sudden you got Maury coming with 21 and Fox pulls out Greed . Game shows on prime time television. Are you joking me? This was a new low for television.

Next.. Mark Burnett changes everything... CBS breaks with Survivor.... away we go with Big Brother and every other possible scenario life has to offer that has been on television.

TV is on the upswing... Music industry needs to see some light sometime soon.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I agree with the sentiment that MTV sucks... badly. I think it's programmed soley for teenage girls. However, I disagree that music in general has lost it's edge. The music video is making a comeback with networks like Fuse TV that actually show videos. No kidding! I found it on my DirecTV dial just 3 or 4 spots passed MTV, just below VH1 Classic. FuseTV rocks.... Their No. 1 Countdown "Rock" show on the weekends actually shows 2 hours of straight up rock videos. New ones! No Celine Dion, no 50 Cent... just rock.

here's some current music that I think stands up next to what we listened to in the so-called "golden age" of alternative music:

The White Stripes
System of a Down
Gorillaz
Nine Inch Nails
Green Day
Foo Fighters
Avenged Sevenfold
Fallout Boy
The Strokes
Korn

All of those still have edge, but they ain't playin' their videos on MTV 'cause teenage girls (for the most part) don't like "edge."

Check out Fuse TV... it reinvigorated my music video habit.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I remember being yelled at for watching Beavis and Butthead, was gonna corrupt my soul. SO was watching Celebrity Death Match, but my father let it slide since he liked that show. The only show my mom ever approved of was Daria, but that was mainly because the jokes were mature, and basically went over TRL viewers head so it was canceled faster then the Book of Daniel.

But then came Road Rules, and that other one that sucks, and the other one that sucks, not to mention that show that sucks... Room Raiders, and uh, that other show, TRL, and the one show that sucks, and...

Then they had Viva La Bam, a reason to watch MTV, but it to was canceled.

It sucks, I'm old, moved out, and all the shows I use to love to watch, secretly since I'd get in trouble if caught, are no longer on! What's the point of being old enough to watch what you want if there is nothing on to watch?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I was talking with a friend the other day and the topic was the old "You know your a product of the '80s if..." question. I had to laugh when he said you know your a product of the '80s if you remember when MTV actually showed music videos.... and to that I would add that the music being shown was actually good. I also remember staying up until midnight to watch Friday Night Videos... that was before MTV...

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
MTV was awesome when they just played music...like the good music. Now they only play music at like 2 in the morning...who stays up till 2 and watches music videos...half of them are stupid anyway. Same with VH1...Both channels were sweet when all they played was music...now they have crap for shows.

join