It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wierd Phone Calls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I keep getting phone calls from this # 0OO-OOO-OOOO:
can anyone tell me why?

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have no idea.

Did you ask your phone service provider?

What happens when you answer the phone?

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Telemarketers

www.vonage-forum.com...

What is happening is telemarketers have found a way to NULL out the caller-id field on placed calls, so instead of using standard Caller Line Identity Restriction which will set outbound caller-id to anonymous they just make regular phone calls with a NULL from field. This was meant as a way of getting past people who have Anonymous Call Rejection.

archive.tivocommunity.com...
www.google.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I hate telemarketer's they are so annoying, you can be eating dinner or watching a movie. Then all of a sudden you think it's a important call, you pick up and they are all like "Hello Mr. so and so, Could I interest you in a metal spring matress???" Your all like "NO.... STOP CALLING ME ARGHHHH" Then you hang up

Sorry being weird again, anyway's, same questions as Umbrax had, and hey Umbrax Nice Avie...

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Spoofed caller I.D. prob form a tele-marketer. It's actualy a new service you can pay for. Call anyone making any bogus phone number show up on caller ID.

www.securityfocus.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I have had this happen, phone company says it is just telemarketers. I can't stand them.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Telemarketers seem like banner advertising to me.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Icon depicting mood of postposted on 29-1-2006 at 08:20 PM

can anyone tell me why?posted on 29-1-2006 at 09:38 PM

Telemarketers

External Source

www.vonage-forum.com...

What is happening is telemarketers have found a way to NULL out the caller-id field on placed calls, so instead of using standard Caller Line Identity Restriction which will set outbound caller-id to anonymous they just make regular phone calls with a NULL from field. This was meant as a way of getting past people who have Anonymous Call Rejection.

I have also noticed 2 times in the last few weeks I have recieved a call from phone # 1-206-278-8899. the strangest thing is that when it registers on my c.i.d. it looks like this: name: 2062788899
phone #:1-206-278-8899
and no matter how many times the phone rang before i picked it up who or whatever was on the other end disconnected @ the same instant i touched the talk button. strange.....

please forgive my ignorance of the proper way to quote the threads i just noticed the "quote" icons in the top right of each post

[edit on 22-3-2006 by descendantofclairvoyance]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It's all part of an evil plot, I tell you. You just gotta believe me.

Beware the telemarketers!

The matrix has you now........................

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
A telephone rings and there is no one on the line when answered

Many telemarketers use "predictive dialing" technology to call consumers. A computer dials many phone numbers in a short period of time. When an individual answers, the computer seeks a sales representative who is not occupied at that time and connects the call. If all of the sales reps are on calls, the consumer hears dead silence. These are "abandoned calls."

If you have access to SBC, they have a "privacy manager" device that you can rent from them that answers all calls that are listed as private numbers or null numbers. They have to tell who they are and leave a message for you, then the device (beeps? Announces?) that there is a call waiting for you. If they don't give their information, it tells them that the call cannot be completed to you.

JDub

EDIT: If your state offers the "Do not call list", sign up for it.

JDub

[edit on 3/26/2006 by BlueTileSpook]

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I have a solution for these types of calls. Since I only have one phone, which is my cell phone, I limit just how many people have it. I never, ever give my telephone number to any businesses, except for crucial services like my bank. Even my employer does not have my phone number. So it's really easy for me to simply screen all incoming calls. If I do not recognize the number, I simply do not answer.

Better still, leave the ringer off. Let your voicemail/answering machine take the call. In fact that's my preferred method.

And if a call does get through and I happen to answer it, I just let the caller have it.

"Exactly Who told you that you can call this number?!!"
"I want this number removed from your call list immediately"

and my favorite "Let me speak to someone with authority!"

and still "Don't you know that it's against the law to make harassing phone calls?!!" another favorite

As far as the 000-000-0000 numbers are concerned, I'm sure there are ways to find out where even those calls originate from.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Who is the guy in 1,000 that actually does make a purchase which keeps these telemarketers going at full tilt? I assume there has to be a profit in it for them somewhere, they can't be annoying simply for the hell of it. I might actually get a laugh out of it if that were the case....

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ny4knicks
can anyone tell me why?

amells like telemarketing...just dont answer...hopefully they will give up on your number...

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lianna
Who is the guy in 1,000 that actually does make a purchase which keeps these telemarketers going at full tilt? I assume there has to be a profit in it for them somewhere, they can't be annoying simply for the hell of it. I might actually get a laugh out of it if that were the case....

Don't get mad, get even..

I know from personal experience of working for a variety of these tele-marketing companies to pay my way thru uni, that it is one of the most soul-destroying jobs you can imagine...repeating the same 2 sentences of script hundreds of times a day, usually just getting hung-up on, and every so often, verbally abused.
Rather than vent your spleen at the poor soul on the other end of the line, who's just trying to earn a few quid, have some creative fun causing your own inconveniences and wasting time and money at the tele-marketing company's expense...

The Ultimate Tele-marketing Counter-script

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Good Find BlueTileSpook

Many telemarketers use "predictive dialing" technology to call consumers. A computer dials many phone numbers in a short period of time. When an individual answers, the computer seeks a sales representative who is not occupied at that time and connects the call. If all of the sales reps are on calls, the consumer hears dead silence. These are "abandoned calls."

What an absolute joke.. this should be outlawed immediately, imagine old women at home alone or even your slightly paranoid citizen--like me
Could cause some serious distress and angst.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Thank you, Knights.

We are on the "Do not call" list for my state for our landline phone, and I had to add our three cell phones to the list about a year ago.

Other than a credit agency that kept looking for the person that had the phone number before me, we have not had any telemarketing calls since joining the list.

JDub

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I had telemarketers calling my cellphone a few weeks ago--and my cellphone number has been on the Do Not Call list since December. I actually got blown off when I pointed this out--and they called again! There were two companies that were calling.

At any rate, I filed complaints online against each of them, and I haven't heard back from them since!

I don't have any kind of anonymous filter on my cellphone's caller ID though. Sure helped in providing the phone number!

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Just do like I do. Ignore them all. Use the answering machine to screen calls and return the ones you want.

NC

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Blockbuster Video uses an outside business to call customers to remind them to return late movies. The number comes up on caller id as a string of zeroes.

new topics

top topics

join