It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is MicroSoft Collaborating With China to Censor Bloggers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Could be.

Microsoft Takes Down Chinese Blogger

Microsoft’s MSN Spaces continues to censor its Chinese language blogs, and has become more aggressive and thorough at censorship since I first checked out MSN’s censorship system last summer. On New Years Eve, MSN Spaces took down the popular blog written by Zhao Jing, aka Michael Anti. Now all you get when you attempt to visit his blog at: spaces.msn.com... is the error message pictured above. (You can see the Google cache of his blog up until Dec.22nd here.)

Note, his blog was TAKEN DOWN by MSN people. Not blocked by the Chinese government.

Could it be Microsoft's lucrative contract with the Chinese government?

Aint "free trade" grand?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This is good stuff RANT, that is really disgusting. I've check your link for some of the keywords that are censored: They include:

“Falun Gong,”
“Tiananmen massacre”
“Tibet independence”

Is there anyway we could flood Chinese sites with these words? (hactivism)

Disgusting…

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It looks like they are cutting us off
They don't wont there dirty laundry out for the world to see. That's good old communism!

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Nice find RANT!

Would not surprise me one bit.

One billion customers (mostly poor) coupled with the availability of $100 laptops (UN debut for $100 laptop for poor) and a central government that dictates which operating system gets to be sold in China means that they can make demands on M$ or threaten to use one of the free Linux platforms.

Whatever their market strategy for China, M$ will not risk losing such a huge market defending something as anti-corporate as free speech.

Between this and the WMF exploit I have made up my mind that when I get my new computer later this month I'm going to climb the Linux learning curve.

[edit on 1/4/2006 by Gools]

top topics

join