It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something happened in OK City???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I am at work now and have no access to TV or radio, and the local news website has nothing on this, but as I was coming into work, an older gentleman was leaving and he said to me, "you are into all that secrecy conspiracy crap, right? Well OK City is burning down right now and I think they are hiding something." He said his wife called and told him since they have relatives in that area.

Anyone know anything about this? A "city in flames" anywhere in Oklahoma? I already checked this forum as well as Other Current Events and War On Terrorism before posting here, just to see if it was covered already...

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
OKC, Lubbock, Tex And Hobbs, NM are all experiencing high winds and huge grass fires. Over 200 homes in OKC have burned. CNN & MSNBC

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I live in Moore OK but im currently in Massachusetts for break however my friend is looking into it right now, get on the hpone with somebody, or AIM...

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A member was kind enough to send me this link:

abcnews.go.com...

Seems like a rash of wildfires in that area...thanks for the UTU, you know who you are!

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My husband has been watching the news and he was commenting on the wild fires that are devastating the area.

Perhaps the winds has picked up like Whaaa said and has gotten closes to a major city.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Neighborhoods in the northeast part of Oklahoma City were evacuated.

Google news Oklahoma city burns

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
We've just gone up on alert. We have a crack Wild Fire Suppression team north of the 49th parallel. An alert is not an indication as to wether we will go, it is just a notice of what is happeneing. After that we go to Stand By.

I doubt we'll go, they'll call in the wild fire groups from the northern states first. There are a lot of them. If they do call us, we'll know we are really about to step into hell.

We'll see what the next few days bring.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
State of Emergency declared in two eastern New Mexico counties, thousands of acres burned, evacuations in three small towns.

Local news reports large sections of Texas grassland ablaze, around Lubbock and Ft. Worth.

[edit on 1-1-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
We are very dry and it is taking nothing much to start a fire. The damn wind has been strong.

Last weeks fires got within 3/4 mile of my Dad's home. Seminole and Wewoka were hit hard.

The oil companies were using their tankers to haul water to the firefighters out in the country.

Roper

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I live in tulsa oklahoma, and every commercial is interuppted with information of wildfires going on all over the place. Its been this way for a few weeks. The winds dont help the situation. Just seems to be getting worse. Those that smoke.. Make sure you put out your cigerette buts before throwing them out the window for god sakes.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Also near Tulsa. We had 3 fires within a mile of my house today. You can still smell and see the smoke. It is seeping in through the windows and making sleep tough.

Last report one highway shut down south of Tulsa, OKC has at least 2 neighborhoods still threatened. They wre using BlackHawk's earlier in the day to dump water but had to call it off at dark. We have too many trees and powerlines. They say this is causing a lot of problems with keeping the fires contained. They are saying at least a dozen within 3 counties of Tulsa, most smaller but still growing.

It was an odd day here, around 78 degrees (it is supposed to be freezing this time of year) and the winds. My weather station reported gust of 54mph and steady winds of around 28mph all day long. I just checked at 12:56am and we just had a gust of 41mph so the danger is still there.

Over the hill from my house you can see some flames but the fire dept is reporting no evacuations for us yet. They did come by today asking how many lived in the house in case an evacuation is ordered.

This is really a strange way to start the new year.

[edit on 1/2/2006 by nativeokie]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Nativeokie,

I was about to start a thread on this strangeness regarding fires in OKC, but then I ran across this one. It is interesting that of all the other people posting in here that live here, only know of the fires because of what they have heard and/or read in the media. Myself included.

I notice that out of all the posts in this thread, except for yours, everyone who has sources, has quoted them as some news station or newspaper. Not as first hand.

If I hadn't read your post, I was really about to believe that the whole thing is some wierd kind of a hoax, however, you say that in Tulsa, you have actually first hand seen the flames for yourself. I guess that is reassurring, in a way.

I live in Oklahoma City - right in the "Metro". I am getting sick of having (O,K., I must admit) my soap operas interupted constantly to talk about fires that I have yet to see any signs of. I have been all over the city (except for the NE section, and that is only because I have no reason to go there). I realize that that is the section that was supposed to have had some people evacuate, and I suppose that they probably did. No telling.

However, I have been all over the rest of the city in the last couple of weeks for one reason or another, and have never smelled smoke, seen ashes or flames - or any sign what so ever that the fires even exist, except for what is constantly in the media.

Seriously, I figured that there were probably really some wildfires in some rural areas, but I can assure anyone who reads this post that while I have no sources to quote - because if I did, they would be wrong - I can tell you firsthand that Oklahoma City is NOT going up in flames!

And, get this - now they have even added the elevation of fire danger day by day to the weather report! It's even color coded like that stupid "terror alert level" that I'm not sure if they still use or not.

I don't know what's really going on, but I have seen in the Internet, on my home page, which is just a portal with news off the AP & Reuters mainly that constantly puts up new headlines for the entire world to read, several to the effect that, "Oklahoma City Engulfed in Flames!" NOT TRUE - I live here! I would know. The only indication I have of anything fire related is the fact that the coverage of it is so extensive that it is ridiculous. I was wondering if they were for some reason actually trying to convince the residents of OKC that we really are engulfed in flames. Pretty ludicrus way to waste time, but why else are they exagerating it so very much?

And Nativeokie, even you say that you live in Tulsa, where you have seen the flames. With all the extensive news coverage here in OKC, I have not heard a word about Tulsa being a factor. I believe you, I don't believe the news. Something fishy is up, is you ask me.

//edit to add://

Sorry Roper, I see that you also have some first hand knowledge of the fires. I hope that you and your family will be safe.

Still, on another note, (sort of ), both people who have seen the fires do not live in Oklahoma City. So, why is the world being told that it is OKC that is burning up?

[edit on 1/7/2006 by CyberKat]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
OKC, Lubbock, Tex And Hobbs, NM are all experiencing high winds and huge grass fires. Over 200 homes in OKC have burned. CNN & MSNBC

i live in lubbock texas and theres no grass fires nearby

No Smoke Nothing

seems your news sources suck eh?

i guess you would have to actually live here and have spent most all the day outside here like I have and drove all over this place and theres NO GRASS FIRES ANYWHERE NEARBY

no smoke in the sky!

there Hasnt been either

your news sources are just 100% wrong

keep in mind theres been no reports on local news of any fires in lubbock or near lubbock

i have no idea why "world" news or whatever news u read this in; would say lubbock was in flames or had flames really close to it

because theres been no signs of a fire *smoke in the sky* anywhere in any direction all week....

the fires are much further up north, from what my local news has told me *if even im 2 believe them*

thats a wierd thing for them to misconstrue and blow out of proportion

i asked my wife just now "Have you seen any signs of fires or smoke in lubbock or around lubbock all week?" and she looked at me like i was a idiot
and i said "Seriously tell me" and shes like "Nooo"

its all very confusing cuz i actually live here and travel around this area alot every day and the skys been mostly clear

ya we had a dust storm last week but we always have dust storms
its west texas, thats our climate lol

[edit on 7-1-2006 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by whaaa

i live in lubbock texas and theres no grass fires nearby

No Smoke Nothing

seems your news sources suck eh?

i guess you would have to actually live here and have spent most all the day outside here like I have and drove all over this place and theres NO GRASS FIRES ANYWHERE NEARBY [....................................]

Thank you muzzleflash for making that post. After re-reading this thread, I figured that people probably just think I'm crazy and have no clue what wild fires are like. I come from Southern California, where wildfires are very common place. I have rode my bike to school many times amongst ashes falling from the sky, helped water down the roof, etc.... most of my growing up years. So, believe me, if I saw any signs of fire, I would know!

But, whaaa was not wrong in posting the news sources that he/she(?) did. It is true that those news sources, and more do report exactly what was reported here. It's just that they are DEAD WRONG! At least regarding the extent of the fires and definately about where they are.

Now, I have heard reports here of fires in Seminole, and Roper has confirmed this on this thread.

Also, whaaa wrote that 200 houses were burned down in Oklahoma City. It's true that CNN has been making that claim, as has been ABC and who knows what other stations. However, we have one news source here that I think is a little bit more reliable, usually than the commercial media, and that is the local PBS station. They report that the number of homes actually burned in NE Oklahoma City was closer to 10 or 12, with neighboring houses perhaps threatened, maybe some grass singed.

Now, you say that there is nothing on your local news about it. Hmmmm....the local news in OKC is full of it. That's at first what I thought was so strange. Does someone in or behind the media truly want to see if they can make the local people, who obviously see no fire and smell no smoke somehow believe that it's there? If so, for what reason? And do they really think that the people living in the city are believing that they are going up in flames as we speak? Absolutely ludicrous! Even I can't accept that theory.

It is just so very strange. I believe all the people posting here. The ones who live in other areas in Oklahoma who claim that there is fire in their area, I do not doubt at all. The others who are hearing about it in the media, they don't have any reason not to believe what they are hearing/reading (until now), simply because it is just about everywhere - in every newspaper, on the web, on the news stations.

So, why?????

I've heard of rumors "spreading like wildfire", but rumors of wildfires spreading like wildfire? I dont' know. I think that it is so ridiculous (I don't mean the real fires that are NOT burning down Oklahoma City, or Lubbock) of a "story" to be spreading so far and so exaggerated.

Is someone covering something up?

O.K. End of Rant

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
All I reported was what the local news stations here in Albuquerque, cnn and MSNBC put out over the satallite service is subscribe to. I am glad that the reports were bogus because I still own a small cotton farm north of Lubbock. Apparently the reports were exagerated as so many things on the "News" are. I'm Glad y'all are safe.

new topics

top topics

join