It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is college right?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I can read at a college Graduate school level, but yet, I can't afford schooling for an associte degree, and most of the classes they teach are all math base. So why do they allow schools like Yale and others to make so much money, while dumbing down students, and lowering the standard of living and the quality of goods in the USA?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It is all a conspiracy to keep the rich elite, elite and keep the rest of us the way we are already.

Pretty sad to think that I can not become a member of Skull and Crossbones because I could reek havoc upon the world with the best of them, but I will never have the chance to become a member of the ruling elite.

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
When I left colledge I had maintained a 3.5 gpa. I was told by the univercity that I had been hired by westenghouse's robotic plant (just outside Orlando), So I packed everything and went. But, when I got there. The job thgat had been promised to me was unexplainably "filled".
I got ahold of my guidedce councler to try and find out what happened.
It seemes that an executive had placed a relitive in the positition.
My point is (sad to say) That it is not what you know, But who you know that seemes to matter in todays world.

Or in other words......Money talks!

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Colleges seperate the classes.
The Working Poor got to Community College. If they go.
Lower Middle Class go to Blue Collar Colleges.
Upper Middle Class go to Michigan and othe big name schools.
The Elite go to the Ivy League. They go on to be Presidents and Senetors.

It use to be go to college to get a good job. Now it is go to college because the man in China wants your job.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbfan1
So why do they allow schools like Yale and others to make so much money, while dumbing down students, and lowering the standard of living and the quality of goods in the USA?

WHA?! :shk:

Simple question:
How many inventions and technological advances were made within the 18th, 19th, and 20th century by higher academia--people who attended and graduated from all levels of college: undergraduates, graduates, and doctorial?

Once you count them, you might discover that what you have asserted is ludicrous and quite mistaken. "Dumbing down...."?! Woowzers.

seekerof

[edit on 9-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
>> So why do they allow schools like Yale and others to make so much money...

Maybe schools like Yale and others share some of that money?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Unless you have some learning or motivational problems, do whatever it takes to go to college. It doesn't matter very much the level of school you choose, because if you do your best you can leap frog your way to better schools. I did three semesters at a branch of New Mexico State at Carlsbad, not really a community college, but it was community based. I transferred some years later after coming to terms with some personal issues to the University of New Orleans, a state school, but a good competitive one nonetheless.

When I applied to Graduate School, I chose the best program in my area, which was Tulane University, a prestigious private school, and was accepted. That eighteen month, four semester course, was one of the most intensive periods of my life that didn't actually involve lethal force. I was a definite square peg, being dirt poor in a population of spoiled brats with rich parents footing the bill, but it was worth it and I am convinced my years at UNO is what best prepared me for that program.

No matter what field of work you find yourself, you will never regret having gotten the best education you could manage, especially if you study hard and apply yourself. No matter what school you go to, the quality of the education you receive is directly proportional to the effort you invest in that process.

[edit on 2005/12/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I can read at a college Graduate school level, but yet, I can't afford schooling for an associte degree, and most of the classes they teach are all math base. So why do they allow schools like Yale and others to make so much money, while dumbing down students, and lowering the standard of living and the quality of goods in the USA?

Not to be mean, but I'm currently attending one of these "dumb down" colleges and seem to be getting all the needed education I need to suceed in my field.

All that is needed to be a well educated individual is a sense of dedication. Expand your study from not only what the professor states, to other topics that relate to the field of study. Just because you attend a poorly funded school, doesnt mean you can't gain access to a plethora of study material, lab space, or major computer network access.

Student loans and/or FAFSA pay for all of this. They will pay for lab space/time, computer access, study books, equipment, and materials.

The only difference between Yale's teachings and a local colleges teachings is the lack of knowledge. Yale is one of the biggest schools in the world, of course it's going to attract the smartest teachers the world can offer.

College doesn't stop at the local college for those who wish to suceed in life. Local college is but a crutch to a more funded college via routes of scholarships and loans.

So if you don't have money, you can still acquire that education, for free, at a slower pace.

Education is practically handed the average American individual by the Government. Except average people that don't have money, don't realize they can climb to the very top of the ladder of education.. for free.. with a little dedication.

The Average American can get into Yale, or any other equivelent college, with dedication alone. So don't give me this "it aint fair" crap as an excuse for your lack of dedication.

Some of us out here are actually lining up our futures by taking our "local poor" colleges very seriously, scoring a 4.0 in reletively "dumb downed" courses and gaining a scholarship to continue our studies to a "real" college.

I just got my first large Scholarship. And I'm currently leaving my local college before finishing my degree to persue my education in a much much much more ludacrive study atmosphere.

For free.

I truly hope you understand why I'm coming off as sorta rude. I've listened to kids complain this very thing for so long. Hell, I was one of them. It took me 8 years to realize I could climb all the way to the top with no money.

But when uninformed people put out the notion that people without money can't get a quality education strictly due to lack of funds, then I must intervene and tell you that it is very much possible. It's free, but takes 4~ years longer (and a crappy degree) to acheive it.

But it's still free.. waiting for you on that golden "greedy" governmental platter.. pick it up maybe?

Free Ladies and Gentleman... Free.

Or are you just 'lazy' and using the excuse that you don't have the money?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
QUIETSOUL! Excellent no need to say more....but im going to, just a bit.

These ivy league colleges cost more and are for the elite yes. But, have or did you notice while in high school, at least in my case alot of the extremely intelligent were not, i repeat were not ELITE in terms of money, society. Many of the ones who were not financialy wealthy managed to attend these elite schools. Yes, money does help, but many of the students at these colleges are simply smart. It depends on what YOU choose.

Im not very wealthy, my college is completely paid for though. The government will give you a hefty check each semester to attend college. You just have to tell them" hey i want to go to college." You can pretty much choose where you want to attend if your gpa is to that college's standards. The head of my class gpa well above 4.0, chose a community college, not because she wasnt wealthy, she was offerd elite school membership....she CHOSE.

I attend a supposedly dumbed down college. its a branch of The university of Texas, it's teachers and curriculum is actually far more advanced than the bigger colleges in the area.....trust me it is....ayayay.

I feel going to this "dumbed down college" i am getting a much better education than if i went to a huge supposedly top of the line school.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Great post, QS. Right on.

In addition to what has already been said, I'd like to add that smaller local colleges, junior colleges, and community colleges often have much smaller classes, allowing for more intimacy between the instructor and the students, which is in many cases superior to auditorium lecturing.

Zip

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bratok

What do you mean?? Do you think that there should be some kind of law against a college making good money? That is kind of crazy.

-- Boat

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Different colleges can be the entry to different parts of American society. If you want to become a member of the elite, you probably want to an ivy league school. You can learn to act the 'right' way, and you can become a bigshot.

At other colleges, you are around people of other social groupings. American society is built around different social groupings. Different social groupings also can have different norms of how people act.

Colleges look for people, who they think will best fit the future of the social groupings they represent. The elite schools look for people, who they think are right to be around other members of the elite. These people either are born into the elite, or have demonstrated themselves in activities considered important to the elite. This consists of things like the leadership of organizaitons or sports.

Look at the social groupings represented by particular colleges. Are they ones you want to be a part of. Are they ones that you will be able to fit into. If you are, then you have prove it to the school, and then they will let you in.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Hey, can't we petiton them to do it. I could get all the e-mails for papers for stuff, and we could it. Or who knows petiton against UNESCO and go National or Internation with it?

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uber Fr0g
QUIETSOUL! Excellent no need to say more....but im going to, just a bit.

These ivy league colleges cost more and are for the elite yes. But, have or did you notice while in high school, at least in my case alot of the extremely intelligent were not, i repeat were not ELITE in terms of money, society. Many of the ones who were not financialy wealthy managed to attend these elite schools. Yes, money does help, but many of the students at these colleges are simply smart. It depends on what YOU choose.

Im not very wealthy, my college is completely paid for though. The government will give you a hefty check each semester to attend college. You just have to tell them" hey i want to go to college." You can pretty much choose where you want to attend if your gpa is to that college's standards. The head of my class gpa well above 4.0, chose a community college, not because she wasnt wealthy, she was offerd elite school membership....she CHOSE.

I attend a supposedly dumbed down college. its a branch of The university of Texas, it's teachers and curriculum is actually far more advanced than the bigger colleges in the area.....trust me it is....ayayay.

I feel going to this "dumbed down college" i am getting a much better education than if i went to a huge supposedly top of the line school.

Nothing against collegeians, guys? But would this have to do with the UNESCO standard tests and (in Ohio) at least, the "dumbing down" of classes? More Students more than ever, CAN'T DO above average algebra in Ohio, but that's one of the first courses a student takes at Community College.

I want to go to college, but even through my reading level has been very high my whole life, if they don't find a better way to teach math or to make it more reasonable based in explaining application to practicle use and fromual how can one get from the bottom from to "a plateu" at all?

I know, I can do math. But the problem for me is, how to use what for what? Do I put an x there? do I add there? Do I divide 12-5+2? Most other students(both former and current) seem to have this same problem in Ohio, and the state is only required to help you get a D in your math classes and pass a profeciency test at certian grade level every 3-5 years of schooling. I still do think there is some conspiracy between the ratified curiculum by the states, UNESCO, the tests(profenicy), and the elite.

If look at Textbooks these days compared to 10 years ago, it's more UN based here in the states. Plus, the goverment has actually published Goverment and Social Studies books.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
QuietSoul may I ask what it is you are studying, or what you want to do in the future?

Sorry for the one liner folks.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by crontab
Different colleges can be the entry to different parts of American society. If you want to become a member of the elite, you probably want to an ivy league school. You can learn to act the 'right' way, and you can become a bigshot.

Hmm... I think that it is important that you know that, in the social realm, perception is one-hundred-percent manifestation: you need not arrive from any particular salty dock to arrive at the port of success if only you dress so.

As such, there is absolutely no such thing as, as you put it, "a member of the elite." You are as elite as you wish to be. A social status is quite easily manipulated, and it is foolish to doubt this.

Confidence is a universal solution. A particular alma mater is nearly meaningless. As an employer, I can tell you that employers do not typically look for "elite" youths or any such: we look for confidence and competence. Play the part.

Zip

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

As far as I can say, Yale is not the only school in America that offers math classes. You do know this? There are plenty of other schools out there that offer math such as East Tennesse State University, Mizzou, Nebraska, Lamar, etc.

And your basis for saying that Yale is dumbing down their students because they won't let you in, please, do not use ATS as a whining tool do that with your mommy. Simply find another school to attend like everyone else does.

I hate to say it, and to the rest of the people, but for the most part it has nothing to do with who know or how rich your daddy is. I have known some people that live in the same neighborhood as I do who went to Princeton. And I can say for certain that the mean household income around here is probably $60-$120k. Most of the people here work for NASA or contractors for NASA. SO there aren't a whole too many people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved in an account. I also know there are quite a few people that are going to Rice.

The reason they make so much money is because companies and the military love to funds their research and many of their alumni contribute to the school. Mainly it is the NSM department you are attempting to apply into that receives the most money such as ElecEng, Chemistry, Physics, etc....

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Hey, can't we petiton them to do it. I could get all the e-mails for papers for stuff, and we could it. Or who knows petiton against UNESCO and go National or Internation with it?

What are you people talking about?? It is their right to make as much money as they want! Why, should their be some limit on what they can make?

Please, explain...

-- Boat

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

As far as I can say, Yale is not the only school in America that offers math classes. You do know this? There are plenty of other schools out there that offer math such as East Tennesse State University, Mizzou, Nebraska, Lamar, etc.

And your basis for saying that Yale is dumbing down their students because they won't let you in, please, do not use ATS as a whining tool do that with your mommy. Simply find another school to attend like everyone else does.

I hate to say it, and to the rest of the people, but for the most part it has nothing to do with who know or how rich your daddy is. I have known some people that live in the same neighborhood as I do who went to Princeton. And I can say for certain that the mean household income around here is probably $60-$120k. Most of the people here work for NASA or contractors for NASA. SO there aren't a whole too many people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved in an account. I also know there are quite a few people that are going to Rice.

The reason they make so much money is because companies and the military love to funds their research and many of their alumni contribute to the school. Mainly it is the NSM department you are attempting to apply into that receives the most money such as ElecEng, Chemistry, Physics, etc....

What's with you and the 'Mommy bit' all the time? But I think you missed the point, although yale and other schools are over-funded and could go on forever till they become the U.S. "Oxfords", my point was they use a test system that is "unreasonable" even to 'smart kids'.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone

What are you people talking about?? It is their right to make as much money as they want! Why, should their be some limit on what they can make?

Please, explain...

-- Boat

Colleges, and I think UNESCO standards in public and colleges can and have limited moblity in the social-educational system for alot of people in the US. That's just my opinion through.

<<   2 >>

join