It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. To N.Y. In A Half Hour, 10,000 MPH Tunnel Tube System In 1972?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   
If you doubt the possibility that the U.S. government "Black" projects engineers have the ability to secretly construct an underground tube-shuttle system, think again. Here is a quoted article that appeared in the Los Angeles Times newspaper on June 11, 1972. It is an interview with the lead physicist at the RAND corporation "think tank" about how economical, technologically achievable and environmentally friendly such a Very High Speed Transit (VHST) network would be if work on it were begun. www.think-aboutit.com...

In this 1972 interview, A Rand corporation physicist has devised a rapid transit system to get you from Los Angeles to NY in half an hour for a $50 fair. He said existing technology (in '72) made such a system feasible and so does a cost analysis. We have nothing like this technology today and if this interview was in 1972 and it is now 2005, I think these plans have had long enough time to be actually put into some very good use. Why wouldn't our government harness this very useful technology, build a (VHST) Very High Speed Transit tunnel system that would save so much time, money, and energy, and hassles for millions of people, so that it could benefit mankind? It makes me think how much "SECRET" technology is really out there that most of us average everyday citizens know nothing about. It also makes me sick to my stomach to think that our own government will lie, cheat, and deceive the American public as much as they want because they have all the power and not us.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Hehe, digging a tunnel the length of an entire country, that shouldnt take long.

Even if they started the tunnel in 1972 it would not be complete.

Another thing, how do you remove all of the air from a tunnel that length? Its just laughable.

A similar project was discussed about using a similar tunnel connecting america and the other side of the pond.

Same problems as listed here, replace tunnel with undersea tunnel.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
This is VERY INTERESTING information to say the least!

They could have done this in 1972??????? Why the heck didnt they? You think it really was NOT feesable Dulcimer? Hey I am no engineer......but I still like the sound of the idea, heh.

I think MAYBE the 'oil companys' that like us all to fly in planes and ride in buses and cars depending on the oil they produce may have put a halt to such an enviromentaly friendly idea.......or maybe that is just my thought.

Sounds much like putting a stop to Teslas grand ideas of free power for the people..........SOME say his plan was not feesable either, but he was SEEN runnin round in Cripple Creek Colorado screwin light bulbs into the ground and they lit up.....

[edit on 9-11-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Yes RiverGoddess you are absolutely right! Think of all the energy, pollution, and trouble our government could have saved everyone the whole world. But did they do it? Of course not! They like to keep us dependant on them for oil, food, and everything else so they can control us down the line and make us their slaves! No wonder why so many countries hate us. It all makes sense to me now, hallulujah!!!

BTW, I'm not crazy i'm just a little delusional that's ALL!!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Ideas like this sound good on paper.

Some things to consider? Why stop at 10,000 miles and hour ! With the right conditions in the vacuum you could do whatever speed you choose !

Do you really want to be going mach 20 in a underground tunnel?

In an earthquake?

Running into problems at 10,000 miles per hour ?

Actually going 10,000 miles an hour at all !

How long does it take to construct a subway system? Multiply that by a few thousand.

Any idea how hard it would be to remove that much air?

[edit on 9-11-2005 by Dulcimer]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Well it's better than polluting our air to the point where we have Cat 3,4,5 hurricanes every other week! I mean we got to do something here cause people are dying and things are only getting worse and not better! Also i'm sure they could figure something out I mean they hide everything from us very well so it shouldn't have been too much of a problem to build this underground tunnel since 1972.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
We don't have Cat 3, 4 or 5 storms every other week.

The tunnel would be recked by an earthquake or at minimal, stopping the transit for inspections for damage.

Planes would still be needed, people would be only going to LA or NYC. How do they get to the rest of the world?

Roper

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Sounds like a pipe dream to me (pun not intended
)

Just drilling a tunnel from NY to LA would take forever and cost a fortune, forgetting the technology needed for the actual mechanisms to make this work. They want to build a new subway line on 2nd Avenue here in NYC from like just 63rd St. to 125th St. and it's going to cost billions of dollars and take like 10 - 20 years to complete.

And under the Atlantic? How do you drill a train tunnel through the mid-Atlantic ridge where lava is building new seafloor and spreading the continents apart at the rate of several inches per year?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
with an nuclear powered high energy beam you could create a tunnel from one and to another end of the usa. the heat of the beam will cristalize the sand and will create a silicum based or another type of cristalization depending on the strengt and heat of the beam.
it is low cost you only need to build a high power beam powered by a nuclear reactor. if they used a modified nuclear power plant on a track and they can create the tunnel with in years. so yes can be done. but if they did it... we all know that there a several systems created way back then systems not currently out or declasified ..

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
that pun was sooo intended

How much metal etc do you imagine it would take to build a cross-continental tunnel?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I won't comment on whether it'd be a good idea or not, but I would like to add something. I think there's a possibility it could have been done back in '72. I think it could be done today if we really wanted it, but as a nation we've gotten so damned lazy and caught up in social problems that it'd never happen.

We were putting men on the moon back in the 70's, and now we have problems with just orbiting the earth. Not because the technology isn't there--we did all that with slide rules and main frames with the processing power of a few modern desktops--we just don't have the drive. We'd rather sit around and worry about who's marrying who and what religion is the greatest than try and push ourselves. I think that's a big reason we get into the mindset of thinking "it's not possible", because no one has the desire to make it possible anymore.

Okay, I'll hand the soapbox off to someone else...

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
No more metal than traintracks use. Maybe we use shadows hoverboards to ride like marty mcfly.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Well, it's just a maglev train, but I think the article is either bogus or the writer had NO idea what they were talking about.

You see, 10,000 mph is Mach 13, and we weren't doing Mach 13 back then (I remember the air speed races to see who could achieve Mach 5 first). In fact, we're still not doing it. So far, the top speed has been Mach 10:
www.rogerdarlington.co.uk...

There are acceleration problems (you pull a lot of G's getting up to that speed, and frankly that could kill a lot of people. You need a very long braking distance as well (and you pull G-forces there, too.)

Then there's the issue of the sonic booms distrupting the material of the tunnels and so forth.

So, no. It's a speculative article but it's not based in anything real we were doing then... or now.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
We were putting men on the moon back in the 70's, and now we have problems with just orbiting the earth. Not because the technology isn't there--we did all that with slide rules and main frames with the processing power of a few modern desktops--we just don't have the drive. We'd rather sit around and worry about who's marrying who and what religion is the greatest than try and push ourselves. I think that's a big reason we get into the mindset of thinking "it's not possible", because no one has the desire to make it possible anymore.

Very, very well said MCory! If only a few more billion people thought like you!

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Then there's the issue of the sonic booms distrupting the material of the tunnels and so forth.

So, no. It's a speculative article but it's not based in anything real we were doing then... or now.

Well the tunnels are supposed to be emptied of air to create an almost perfect vacuum, so there'd be no problems with sonic booms. But like I said before, I still think it's practically impossible.

edit:

Plus maglev trains wouldn't create a lot of sound anyway (like a jet engine).

[edit on 11/9/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Just being in a vacuum doesn't negate the effects of the Earth's gravity.......right? One will still have to deal with G-forces.........right? That would make this idea an impossibility...................right?

Peace

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Just being in a vacuum doesn't negate the effects of the Earth's gravity.......right? One will still have to deal with G-forces.........right? That would make this idea an impossibility...................right?

Peace

It's a maglev train so it's floating above the track because of a magnetic field. The train itself is possible, but the amount of energy it would take to run and building the actual tunnel would be impossible to achieve anytime soon I think.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The 'physicist' if he is one, has no idea what he is talking about. I don't think he knows how much and how hard it is to lay a piece of yarn from LA to NY, much less a road or tunnel!

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
dj

So if you're floating in a vacuum you don't feel the effects of Earth's gravity anymore? I'm not totally sure that's the case, but I could be wrong. The key here is can a person survive attaining that speed from a dead stop within the Earth's gravitational field. I'm still missing something I guess.

Peace

[edit on 9-11-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
dj

So if you're floating in a vacuum you don't feel the effects of Earth's gravity anymore? I'm not totally sure that's the case, but I could be wrong. The key here is can a person survive attaining that speed from a dead stop within the Earth's gravitational field. I'm still missing something I guess.

Peace

[edit on 9-11-2005 by Dr Love]

I think the idea of the vacuum is to cut down on wind resistance, not so it'll go faster, but so it doesn't heat up and fall apart. Even in a vacuum chamber the effects of gravity are still felt.

<<   2  3 >>

join