It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I found this article online and was wondering would anyone know if its accurate.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I was looking up information for a school project I was doing an I came across this article. Is the information in this article accurate or just made up science?

www.fcnp.com...

[edit on 25-10-2005 by PeteTPP]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Hi PeteTPP

Yep... what this site says is true

I live in the southeast of England and it has been on the news. They are basically saying that North Atlantic Oscillation could give us the coldest winter in Britain since 1964. The 1964 winter froze the river Thames and ice floes drifted down the English Channel. Many people (mainly old) died due to the extreme cold.

They have also warned us that the gas supply could run out and to check on any elderly neighbours we may have.

As a precaution i have removed my gas fire and replaced it with a natural coal burning fire. I have also stocked up on food and winter clothes

Check out...

www.fcnp.com...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

I personally think they are trying to play it down a bit so as not to alarm people to much. A cold cold winter is definitely overdue.

Hope this helps

[edit on 26-10-2005 by undercoverchef]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Errr... ignore the first link... I posted the same one as you

HeHe

DOH!

Sorry think im going mad

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
The only thing I think you should be wary about in referencing this article is that it is a commentary and it does not provide you with references for the comments made in it. Now, undercoverchef has provided you some references reporting on the oscillation and the warnings of an extremely cold winter, and you should be able to use them to work back to say the foundational scientific study or model that is predicting that. But there are many other statements in the FCN commentary that you need to verify. For instance - the statement that Britain's North Sea production has now fell to the point they may not be able to support domestic needs. You need to verify that. It may very well be true, but you need to make sure of it first.

Multiple sources and as close to the primary sources as possible for the facts, and you'll be in good shape. Good luck on your paper!

[edit on 10-26-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

For instance - the statement that Britain's North Sea production has now fell to the point they may not be able to support domestic needs. You need to verify that. It may very well be true, but you need to make sure of it first.

Valhall is correct...

However, I thought id save you some time...

Check out...

news.bbc.co.uk...

British gas reserves are running low... British Gas have just put up the price of Gas by 14%

I dont know how they think old people are gonna manage this winter

Most of the stuff in the article you can research on the news websites.

Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. Cheers evryone

Edit: Thanks Vanhall!

[edit on 26-10-2005 by PeteTPP]

join