It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government laptops 'not secure'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hundreds of government laptops with potentially sensitive information are being lost or stolen, a study shows.

Link to story

I like the way the the worst offenders are the MOD!

[Edited on 15-9-2003 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   

An MI6 officer also left his [laptop] in a taxi after a night out. (BBC News)

Good grief, and these guys are meant to be the elite who are looking after the UK's national security.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Don't worry, your security and private information are in good hands, the governement is protecting you.

(a la Skadi style...)

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
uMM WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU FOUND ONE.....
WOULD YOU TAKE A PEEK???

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
WOULD YOU TAKE A PEEK???

No of course I wouldn't. I'd seal it carefully in a secure case and immediately take it to my nearest police station without even so much as opening the lid

hehe

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I BELIEVE YA!!

HONEST I WOULD DO THE SAME!!

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Kind of makes you wonder if we rely to much on computers for everything...computers and software in my experience are far less reliable than any other machines, yet the government choose them to store their most sensitive information

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   
TRUE..NOTHING LIKE PAPERWORK FILED AWAY...
SURELY IN THIS DAY AND AGE THEY COULD COME UP WITH SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE SECURE

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
WOULD YOU TAKE A PEEK???

Unless it's a really old and crappy 'puter, I would nuke every info that's in there with a prog that writes 0s and 1s in every writeable area of the disk 3 times. Then I'd try and erase every serial number that might be on the machine. If possible, I'd change the network card so they can't recognize the MAC adresse. Or I'd read up on Mac spoofing. Than I'd do a normal format and install my OSes of choice, depending on hard disk space, either XP or XP and Slackware. If the PC is not powerfull enough for my tastes (note that my tastes change randomly from time to time), than I'd place an anonymous call to the nearest police station/gov. office from some public phone and ask a reward for it. (j/k) I could also threaten them to release compromising info on the net.lol...

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I've changed my mind - I'd post the entire contents of the HDD on ATS

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
NOW THATS MORE LIKE IT!

CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT.... WELL AT LEAST WE WOULD KNOW IF ATS IS BEING WATCHED....WE COULD HAVE A POLL ON HOW LONG IT IS TILL THE FBI SHUT US DOWN

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 01:37 PM
link   
UniversalFiction

With out first reviewing the content, that would be stupid. How to know who you're gonna help / harm?

Asala

Is your capslock key blocked or what?

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
mOrbid
lol....How did you guess???

stupid key board keeps sticking..dam annoying
but got it fixed now,

small letters form now on...im not touching that dam caps lock button

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well, this would be a GREAT misinformation tactic, wouldn't it? And all it would cost is some phony doc and a cheap laptop...kudos to the gov on this one...

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Well, this would be a GREAT misinformation tactic, wouldn't it? And all it would cost is some phony doc and a cheap laptop...kudos to the gov on this one...

Not such a "cheap misinformation tactic", if you look at the number of those laptop stoled/lost.

Asala
It was just a wild guess

top topics

join