It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its Alive ! The First photo of a living Architeuthis!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...
I have dreamed Of the day when we finly have a living excamply of these mysterius creatchers in there natrial habatat.
for hundreds of years they were considered Myth it was only in recient times that a few dead bodys were washed up onto beaches proving they excist .But to see a photo of a living one is a true achevment.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
That's pretty sweet. I wish they were the 60 foot monsters in all the tales and stories. Now that would be pretty cool. All humor aside, this really is pretty exciting to finally see one alive.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wow great find its about time people have been trying to do this for years

These guys arent technically the first too film a living Architeuthis a few years ago a Marine biologist caught a living Architeuthis but it was only a baby and about a inch long
But still it was a living Architeuthis.

They had a whole show on the discovery channel awhile back on it

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Heres a pic

Not quite as impressive

BTW SFRemmy the longest recorded specimen of Architeuthis dux was 59 ft (17.7 m) in length. Not 60ft but darn close

[edit on 27-9-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
These guys arent technically the first too film a living Architeuthis a few years ago a Marine biologist caught a living Architeuthis but it was only a baby and about a inch long
But still it was a living Architeuthis.

There have been adult specimens filmed as well, but they were at the surface and close to death. This is apparently the first time they've been seen in their natural deep water habitat.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
djohnsto77, good find there. I had not seen this yet. I think this will be the year that a lot of new life discoveries are going to be reported. With all the new technology we have it will help. Great picture.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Did they capture/kill this thing? It doesn't say in the article, but in the last picture you can see a part of a giant squid. I'm not sure if it's the same one. If they did kill it then shame on them! I think it'd be interesting if we could attach some sort of tracking device to one of these creatures so that we could learn more about their travels.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Great find! I've been waiting to see these images ever since I first heard of these giants. It is truly fascinating, and frightening, to know that these creatures are out there. There is no doubt that they are highly effective, aggressive, predators and it wouldn't surprise me if they are responsible for many of the "sea monster" tales passed down through the ages.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Anyone come across any higher resolution or just plan bigger versions of these pictures?

I want a better look at them and in the link article they are pretty small.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Hi res scan:

Dangerous Beasties!!!

This is pretty neat!

He's another real one:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I think you could safely post this in a section other than this one. The existance of the giant squid appears to be pretty much beyond dispute.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This means that it's a good bet that what we see evidence of is out there if you look in the right places...

This discovery is a clue to all of our curiousities.

What more is out there to be discovered? On Earth and outside of it?

We see these creatures because our technology has finally advanced to the point that we can venture to places previously limited by our technology and experience these habitats first hand.

There is a good bet that there are other creatures out there in the depths of the oceans that can survive and thrive in extreme conditions that we might not have bothered to look in, basically because we see no possibility of existing there. Now we see that once we explore places that are remote or incredibly difficult to get to this could lead to more discoveries like this.

I also believe that the Squid captured on video was probably young... The older Adult squids live deeper below the ocean I imagine. It would be logical to assume that larger versions of this species would be able to survive at greater depths it would be strong enough to survive deeper parts of the ocean, probably much deeper than the photographed Squid.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I think it's totally awesome! And they should really tag one of these monsters and follow it's coming and going!

I wish they were the 60 foot monsters in all the tales and stories.

Yeah, that would have been cool. Seeing that it's only 18 meters... 59 feet just doesn't have the same feel as 60 feet....

It would have been even better to get a picture of one of them killing a sperm whale! And on that topic...

I can't see the little squid in this picture catching a 15-18 meter (40-60 feet) sperm whale!?

A sperm whale on the back of a truck:

Well, cool find!

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Theres also one in the Smithsonian in D.C.

[edit on 28/9/05 by Skibum]

xu

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I dont know you but that squid has got some balls, messing with the biggest sea creature like that.

ands some other tasteful renderings of the couple;

not to forget;

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Wow cool find, i've always known there would be specimens as large as this one.

the cool thing is, he smaller speciames can act like regular lightshows (they even communicate with color paterns...must be magnificent to see that in these size animals.

Just goes to show, we're sending people to the moon and robot's to mars, but 75% of the earth's sea's is still unexplorable, who knows what clues/ or wierd things we might find there ! I say , make the budget for sea research bigger !

edit: can any of you guys tell me if this is a real picture ?

[edit on 28-9-2005 by XyZeR]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR

That? It's obviously a drawing. No human has ever witnessed this let alone capture it on film.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I remember that sperm whale on the truck! *lmfao* That was right before it exploded and blew chunks-o-whale all over the center of the city.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   

That? It's obviously a drawing. No human has ever witnessed this let alone capture it on film.

thnx for clearing that up to me djohnsto77, i thought it was a picture....how silly of me.

Must be magnificent to see such 2 big sea creatures battle....

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by XyZeR

I know it's not a real picture - but couldn't it be a display at a museum such as the one at the American Museum of Natural History? (AMONH Site

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join