It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming, Martian style

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Sept. 20th, 2005

Nasa's Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft has been working hard over the last 8 years. The amount of data, collected over time has allowed us to create a more accurate picture of processes that have never been measured before..Before and after pictures hint at global changes in Mars' climate.
There are hints of a warming trend.

From Space.com
Mars Climate

Why is Mars warming up?
Could this be related to Earth's warming trend?

The data is young, only 8 years back, so it could be a short term trend.

But what if there is something to this? What if Global warming is much less a product of man's involvement, than it is of the sun, injecting larger amounts of energy into both weather systems?

What do we do then?
Because that means, stopping global warming on Earth, would be interfering with a natural pattern.

But letting it happen, is that better or worse?
Our comfort zones have been mapped out, for now..But they would shift.
Desert becomes grassland, Tundra becomes forest. Shorelines move inward.

Would that mean we would be FORCED to alter our climate somehow?
Just to preserve status-quo?

Is Mars telling us something?

I look forward to your thoughts on this..

[edit on 21-9-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
There is one way of testing this..look at the rest of the planets see if they exhibit the same rise in temperature, if they dont the two plants must have seperate causes for warming.

I think the artical is question is just highlighting seasonal changes in mars,that Mars moves and changes just like Earth.They do talk about polar recession on Mars and that it is warming up but im not incline to say the sun is the cause.As you have said this is based on 8 years of data so I dont think we have the full picture yet it may be just a short term trend or it could be leaving an ice age due to axial tilt.

www.space.com...
www.worldnetdaily.com...

This storys are from 2003,even then data is suggesting a warming.Im keeping an open mind on this though defenatly has interesting implications

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Merkeva,
Thanks for the reply.

I had forgotten the story that Mars may be coming out of an ice age.
Another analogy of Earth.

I think there are some interesting implications as well.
If this hypothetical idea, becomes something more. What do we do?

WE certainly aren't producing a global warming effect on Mars.
Something esle is causing that. In one scenario, it may be more solar output.
And it wouldn't take much. Look at our Sun these days..WE're supposed to be at a Solar
minimum, and we just had a bunch of X class flares. There must be a cycle that is too
long term for us to know about, yet..

Like you said, interesting implications. Do we then swallow our pride (ego's really).
And admit that we can't do anything about the warming of the Earth?

Or do we try to disrupt, this NATURAL cycle?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The funniest thing about the Mars Warming is how the global warming freaks try to explain this.

After making so much progress in trying to blame man for global warming, this has got to be a huge setback.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
The funniest thing about the Mars Warming is how the global warming freaks try to explain this.

After making so much progress in trying to blame man for global warming, this has got to be a huge setback.

Thats cheap coming from someone called Carseller
The sheer amount of pollution we output has to have an effect on the atmosphere, it may be just a factor, but I think its the main contributer.And by freaks are you referring to all the scientists who dont work for OPEC?

To answer your question spacedoubt,no I do not think we should disrupt earths natural cycle , but its too late we already have.The earth is heating up faster than any peroid in history.It may be due to solar factors but we dont have much evidence to support that yet.Mars warming up is very interesting though.

Mabye this calls for a research project on the possible causes and implications of "Martin Warming" spacedoubt..I'd be happy to collaberate.Send me a U2U if your interested.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Merkeva]

join