It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN tells guests to show artificial emotion when dicussing on a particular subject.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
www.drudgereport.com...

CNN PRODUCERS TOLD ON-AIR GUESTS: GET ANGRY
Mon Sep 12 2005 12:42:11 ET

After weeks of intense Katrina coverage from the main press, LA TIMES guru and former CNN host Michael Kinsley divulges that CNN was coaching guests to artificially enhance emotions!

Kinsley writes:

"The TV news networks, which only a few months ago were piously suppressing emotional fireworks by their pundits, are now piously encouraging their news anchors to break out of the emotional straitjackets and express outrage. A Los Angeles Times colleague of mine, appearing on CNN last week to talk about Katrina, was told by a producer to 'get angry.'"

Developing...

so wat do u think? not gonna watch CNN animore? or if u watch it would u be snickering as a guest is crying or try to show anger or disappointment?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Not watch CNN? How about not watch any of them. They are all full of it.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Just another reason I don't watch TV news. The other reason being that I don't get any reception where I live and don't even have a TV anymore.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
True or no, I feel CNN needs daytime CABLE competition now. They seem to go over and over and over again the same old story of the day, week or month.

They seem to go to sleep at night and repeat their "signature broadcasts" and in the morning repeat it all again (nothing against Caroll and "Daybreak").

Drop the expensive signature stuff (except Blitzer), and report news Live twenty four hours. That's the way I feel about it for one.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Once again Jerry Springer has shown us the way.

The guest "prepping" controversy has hit all the networks since 9/11. Fox's Hannity was so bold as to feed direct talking points off air to guests prior to his show's "fair & balanced" debates.

CNN has been pretty stilted on the emotion for years. They used to call that professionalism. Glad to see them chasing Fox to the bottom of the barrel now.

Nothing like an angry old stewardess first thing in the morning talking about "Dummycraps" over coffee with her shock jock "friends."

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This is getting to be bad again..I find myself agreeing with Rant in thier position. All the networks are doing it. It is a attempt to pass emotions off as the moral high ground and add rightiousness to their network while shilling/pimping for thier respective partys. This is much of what passes for news today. It gets tiring quickly.
I have recognized this approach easily in the CNN format over the years and other liberal stations as it is the balllywick of thier programing. Their very fingerprint. It has also been adopted by the Fox network for the same reasons. Ratings and competition. It gets very tiring there too. As to Hannity and Colmes. I have long since given up on that format. It just drones on and on ..and on ...and on ...et al. At the end of the day such a litany of news networks have worn the issues out that it is very anticlimactic by the time they air. I dont watch them anymore.
I tire quickly and get insulted when I recognize that any network feels the need to emotionalize the news for ratings and that they need me to be on their emotional string. This technique has gotten very olde...Im not intrested in this emotional jerk off technique anymore.....by anyone.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Walk into a department store like Wally World..the local drug store and look at the magazine titles.. including the newspaper formats like "Globe and the Enquirer.

Cosmopolitian .."101 sex tips to get you to your goals in life!!!"
"How to get through life easily without work
and with out real commitments ..since you
deserve it the others dont"
(Format for Entitlements)

The Enquirer." Sex!!!! Rape!!!!!! Race!!!!! Victimization!!!!!"

When you read enough of these titles and subtitles and you look at the news formats there is not alot of difference in the appeal technique. What you realize is how little respect the magazine editors/publishers have for the public in selling thier junk. The news media formats is right along and parallel to this type of format They too have little respect for the public while trying to put them on a emotional string for political purposes.

These are called "Tabloids" and in the news format it is called "Tabloid Journalism." This is what the bulk of news formats have become.
And this is what I mean when I use the term emotional jerkoff/masterbation. Pardon the crudity but it is insulting when I am constantly bombarded by this format 24/7.
I hope some of the other readers come to recognize this format when they are bombarded by it too.

Oh and one other thing...the other insult to me with these conservative talk show formats on the radio...is that they have such a huge daytime audience that the advertisers have inundated these formats with ads for their products. The product appeal technique is highly insulting as well. No matter what the format tv or radio...I am constantly bombarded by this drivel too. I relalize they must pay thier bills but just like the news formats using emotionalism..the commercial inundation causes me to use my remote and switch stations/channels. Between the emotional jerk off and the commercials...I lose intrest in the format quickly.
Anyone else noticed this about talk show formats on the radio.??

Thanks,
Orangetom

join