It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have what looks like a fossilized egg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This egg is about 2 inches long, and a little over an inch in diameter through the middle. It is a classic egg shape, but solid and shinily opaque, kind of like an opal. When you hold it over a light, it glows amber inside, and picks up any colors, especially green or blue, that the light is filtered through. Near the center, there is what looks like a big bubble, and you can really only see it clearly when the 'egg' is illuminated.

I mean, this thing is truly a trip! A friend gave it to me, told me he had no idea what it was, and said he found it in a pile of dirt next to a gopher hole out in the boondocks while working on a military base.

I wonder if I incubate it, will a baby dino or dragon pop out? I know that's crazy, but its fun to speculate about. This thing is certainly petrified or whatever, turned to stone or crystallized.

Anybody have any ideas about what it might be? If anyone is interested, I can get a picture of it and try to post it for peer review.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I had an object of about the same dimensions that I thought was a fossilized egg. Only mine was rock on the outside. Like a thin layer of gray rock. The inside was white all the way through. The "egg" was extremely light and felt like it would float in salt water. Actually I broke it open because it was so light (wondering what the hell it was), and thats how I saw the whiteness inside. I dont remember if it had another "bubble" area in the center... I think it was porous (very tiny holes) and made of very light white rock. (limestone?)

Is your egg smooth? Maybe someone else made it and lost it. I had a huge crystal before, big enough to make and egg out of. Could be one of these: Mineral Eggs

Anyways sounds like you got a good mystery on your hands. Lets hope the dragon is a herbavore..

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the background and link.

This egg is more like 5 cm in height and less than 3 cm in diameter, and it is definitely opaque with no 'crust' or outer layer, but the surface seems somewhat white or milky, not as sparkly or reflective as an opal, but kind of the same effect, giving way to an amber interior with the bubble near the middle.

I'll try to post a picture of it.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You guys are probably talking about geodes.

geology.about.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 18/8/05 by Skibum]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is not a geode, although they are cool and intriguing.

I'm attempting to upload images here. Let's see how this goes.

Keep your fingers crossed, I'm going to post!

It worked! Very cool. That is one inch pegboard behind the egg for reference, and I took two shots, both with the egg sitting on top of a shot glass with a small flashlight underneath, one with flash, the other without, using a 3x optical zoom.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
That's a really interesting "egg" you've got there.
How hard is it (without breaking it!)? How heavy is it? In what area was it found (i.e. geographical area, under some trees, in bushes... etc?) Does it have a smell to it?

A theory I can think up is that it is maybe a bird's egg. Sometimes when birds (and other egg-laying animals) have a mineral shortage - especially calsium - the shell of the egg can be a strange colour, extremely thin and sometimes see-through - similiar to the pic of the one in natuaral light.. But in most cases this egg is extremely soft and you'll smell it in a few days. So I guess there goes that theory...

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It could be that petrified/fosslilized amber stuff you know. That would explaion the little bubble in it.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I have no idea what it is, but its sure interesting. Have to keep an eye on this.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
That looks like Calcite.
Calcite

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I have no idea what it is but it's beautiful. That's a hell of a friend you've got, to give that up.

Try taking it to a museum of geology or natural history - it could be quartz or some other kind of crystal that got naturally shaped in a riverbed, or it could even be man-made. If it's man-made you should be able to find microscopic machining / polishing marks.

I'm thinking it's most likely quartz because of the milky translucent appearance.

Very nice!

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Thanks for all the genuine interest.

The egg is hard, like rock or glass, milky white on the outside, clear amber within, and very reactive to light.

It is probably the same weight, 60 gm or about 2 oz, as a heavy rock or piece of dense glass of this size. It does look to me like it may be an amber-type substance.

The Calcite looked close, except for the opaque surface of the egg, and the egg's lack of a polished surface. There are no cracks or planar irregularities in the egg as you would expect in stone.

On close inspection, the surface of the egg is very similar to the surface of a chicken egg, with small pits and bumps dispersed somewhat evenly all around. I can't rule out that it has been shaped or is man-made, but it doesn't seem like it to me.

I like the shaped by water action theory, but it would seem to me that would produce a more flat, more evenly rounded shape, and a more polished surface. Maybe the process was interrupted somehow.

What has been asked are the same questions I have about this thing. I think it kind of creeped my friend out a bit, and I told him I thought it was cool. Maybe that is why he gave it to me. We have since parted ways. He showed me quite a few interesting things he found out there in the boondocks, some that looked quite valuable. I also have what looks like a petrified snake head. Want to see it?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Here they are. That's the egg in the middle, my petrified snake head pointing up on the right, and my seahorse in quartz fossil I found at the beach on the left.

I had so much fun posting the first two pictures, I had to put up a couple more.

edit to sub better pics

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have some geodes, petrified wood, as well as some of those "rock eggs", but I don't even believe there is the slightest chance it is a real fossilized egg. I can't speak on behalf of yours, but mine just looks like rock that is cut and polished into the shape of an egg. If I remember correct, my grandma found a bunch of them and gave one to me and each of my cousins, so I guess they can't be that rare either. Yours is very cool how light shines through it though. I used to have these other rocks too.. I think they were called Indian Eyes or something, I dunno. But anyway they were these really dark rocks, but if you hold them up to the sun or a bright light they go transparent and look like glass.

My egg looks just like the one on the post above this, except it is yellow and white. My sisters is blue-ish. I'll get some pictures for comparison if you are interested.

Nature is full of some pretty neat stuff, even if it isn't paranormal =).

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yes, indeed. Not trying to claim this stuff is paranormal, just fun and kinda cool. The egg is the strangest peice by far, though. The way it glows and shines is pretty unique. It really creeped my ex out, which was just fine with me.

I'd like to see the eggs you are referring to for comparison if you get a chance and the inclination to post pics. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I think you have a feldspar.
In this case a moonstone,
most probably a Peach moonstone.
It's semi-precious, and a nice looking stone.

Here is a pile, with ranging shades of yellow, and orange.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
spacedoubt,

Those look right on in size, shape, and color. Mine just has an unpolished, opaque surface. Feldspar, and semi-precious, huh? Interesting. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks for the 411. Another awesome feat of networking accomplished. All in a day's work at ATS.

top topics

join