It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado in England

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Is the world's weather getting weird or not.

England isnt exactly Florida eh

www.sky.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I think that was the Muggle explanation, but it was really caused by agents of Voldemort....

(Sorry, just finished the book....Harry Potter fans will get it...)

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
there's another word for a weather incident like this, where its not a regular tornado as in the sense of funnel clouds, but more of straight on direct wind approach.... damn i hate it when i can think of the right word brb.

okay got it.... It's called a derecho
www.absoluteastronomy.com...

it think this is what you guys might have experienced, if you read the above link, you'll see occassionally one of these things does affect Europe.

but no matter what it was, the weather is definitely getting wild.

[edit on 7-28-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
News items like this seem to catch my eye lately.

From eye witnesses tho it sound like they were describing a mini tornado.

Tho i have to admit living in Belfast, i cant say ive seen to many myself......
infact i dont reacon ive seen one so i cant comment really.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
there's another word for a weather incident like this, where its not a regular tornado as in the sense of funnel clouds, but more of straight on direct wind approach.... damn i hate it when i can think of the right word brb.

I think you're thinking of a microburst. It's caused by a severe downdraft coming out of the bottom of a thunderstorm. It hits the ground and fans out in all directions, damage is similar to that of a weak tornado, but contained in a much smaller area.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Believe it or not, tornadoes in England aren't as unusual as we might think...

"The country with the highest number of reported tornadoes per unit area is England whose area corresponds roughly with Oklahoma, but many of the latter’s tornadoes are more violent"

On average, 33 tornadoes are reported each year in the United Kingdom (!!!)

Neat tornado linky

Having said that.....in my 24 years of living in England (was born there, too), I cannot honestly recall any tornadoes. Then again, my memory just might not be as sharp as I'd like

Another article

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I think that was the Muggle explanation, but it was really caused by agents of Voldemort....

(Sorry, just finished the book....Harry Potter fans will get it...)

I was thinking the same thing! Must be the giants!

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Maybe not so unusual after all.

Old news item....6 years ago

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I drove into the edge of one of these tornados a few years ago in the early hours of the morning. It was like driving into a wall of water and I had to stop the car, although I couldn't see if I was on the road or the shoulder. The car was being buffeted extremely violently, which lasted for a few seconds, then subsided and the rain eased.
I heard a radio report a couple of hours later that talked of a tornado moving across that area. One of lifes underwear replacement moments for sure

There definitely seem to be more or the violent microburst storms in the last couple of years. Overall, I have noticed a definite change in weather patterns for my part of the UK over the last couple of decades.

[edit on 28-7-2005 by Britguy]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
12 people injured. there is a news item on ATSNN about it

im still waiting to see the pictures on Skynews

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Does anyone else find it extraordinary that Yesterday saw Birmingham in the news headlines for arrests of the London Bombers..

and then today Birmingham is blown away almost by freakish weather......

If there really were a weather-based weapon in space namely HAARPA then this would be it!!

to much of a coincidence if you ask me... especially when you take into account that it is nearly August... the supposed height of the English Summer!!!!!

all the best people,

Neon.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
to much of a coincidence if you ask me... especially when you take into account that it is nearly August... the supposed height of the English Summer!!!!!

Yeah, strong thunderstorms in the middle of summer. How incredibly strange that is!

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Yeah, strong thunderstorms in the middle of summer. How incredibly strange that is!

A Tornado is NOT a thunderstorm!!!

And I wish I had a digi cam to show you just what the weather is out here in England....

Not the Norm I can tell you that for certain....

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

A Tornado is NOT a thunderstorm!!!

Last time I checked you need a strong thunderstorm to produce a tornado or microburst though. Besides, I never said a tornado is a thunderstorm now did I?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
still sounds like a Derecho to me, the timing, description, etc
btw that's my weather word of the day

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

still sounds like a Derecho to me, the timing, description, etc
btw that's my weather word of the day

I still say it was a Microburst.

By the way, I like that site a lot WW. Never heard of it before. Added it to my list of sites to add to the Space Exploration Reference Library.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Anyone see the steamrolled whale in Chicago Monday night? It was a really cool looking cumulonimbus cloud that had sticking out of the east side something that looked almost exactly like a whale tail. Lightning was crashing everywhere! It was actually south west of me, I was right on the edge, so it was nice and dry, and I could watch the whole thing. Awesome storm.

Anyway, the cloud formation that looked like a whale's tail, on the north side, started to spiral. My eyes were glued, it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It started spinning faster and faster and began to form a cone coming from the now circular cloud formation. Unfortunately (though fortunately for anyone who would have been in the path) it dissipated.

Middle of summer, and Chicago almost got a tornado. Expected? Not really, that weather usually comes in the spring. Unprecidented? Hardly, we have plenty of summer storms and summer twisters in the midwest.

So what's the theory here? The terrorists have a weather control device? Or did America decide to punish England for supporting us in the war on Terror, but hid it from them by using a top secret weather control array that we only use to injure and cause bad weather rather than making our economy skyrocket by creating productive weather like...Oh, I dunno, ending the huge drought taking place in the midwest?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
JJ we're in the fragile earth forum, not the war on terrorism forum

here we like to look at weather phenomenon and it just seems obvious to some that our weather is getting more intense than let's say the past decade or so. Whether the weather is only going thru a brief cyclical change or a long term stage..well that's ???

and right now, there's a thunderstorm outside that is just wicked, no major rain, just intense thunder and lightning.

might be a good time, for me to take a break

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

JJ we're in the fragile earth forum, not the war on terrorism forum

Just commenting on Neon Haze's comment. My mind's not entirely overwhelmed by politics

here we like to look at weather phenomenon and it just seems obvious to some that our weather is getting more intense than let's say the past decade or so. Whether the weather is only going thru a brief cyclical change or a long term stage..well that's ???

and right now, there's a thunderstorm outside that is just wicked, no major rain, just intense thunder and lightning.

might be a good time, for me to take a break

As to the cause of some unusual weather, I've heard two very different theories, though both make sense. One is that an Ice Age is coming back, the other that it's an effect of global warming. The only problem with assuming the weather changing is so unusual is that we don't really have a long term collection of global weather patterns. It's only recently that we've been able to monitor weather patterns across the globe. Otherwise we're stuck using books like the old newspapers which reported the current weather, but even that doesn't go very far back in history. Beyond that, we only have writings about the really, really, really nasty storms and weather events.

I'm not saying it's not happening, just that assuming it must because the weather's changed over the past 60 years is assuming much. This may be a typical periodic cycle the Earth goes through.

E_T

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I drove into the edge of one of these tornados a few years ago in the early hours of the morning. It was like driving into a wall of water...
That's not tornado.

And Derecho is arc/bow like formation of thunderstorms which borns when one air mass intrudes to another (of course air masses have to be right kind) triggering thunderstorm formation where they meet.
These thunderstorms can have strong downburst...
Few years ago currently the most northest documented Derecho caused considerable forest damage here in Finland.

And there's very clear difference between forest damage caused by downburst and tornado, downburst overturns/breaks all trees to pretty much same direction while tornado makes "total mess".

www.myrskyharrastajat.fi.../view&id=114
("trombi" is same as tornado, and you can see it in that 3,17MB videoclip)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join