It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

300 ft catfish

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Not sure about catfish, but I have a pretty good fish story.

Nine years ago I was working at a state park called Wedington here in Arkansas. The lake had far too much grass and weed growing in it so I decided to do something about it. I released some goldfish (carp) into the lake and also a few actual Larger species of Carp, but I caught them out of the river so i'm not sure of their speices, other then they were carp.

Carp feed on grass and roots that grow under water. I figured it had to help.

Last year the worlds largest carp was caught from that same lake. Weighed 82 pounds. Big as a freakin torpedo. It wasn't a state record, it was a world record.

I also here that the water is allot nicer with much less grass and weed these days.

It's nice to know I did my part to keep the world in balance

Wupy

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
wupy, where you from? im from New Orleans myself.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
that's one huge fish. it might be one of the fish you let into the lake to eat all the grass and weeds. if given the chance anything will eat more than it needs to.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
heres another giant catfish caught, i never knew catfish like these be so big. in anicase its pretty awesome.

link

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
holy crap! that catfish is huge i can't believe they can get that big...kinda scary because they could probably swallow a kid whole...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
wupy, where you from? im from New Orleans myself.

I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas so it looks like were neighbors. Nice to meet ya'

Wupy

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Damn, being from the south it gives me a head ache just to think of all the hush puppies we'd have to make to go along with cooking a 300 ft. catfish.

And the cole slaw? Not to mention the corn-on-the-cob.

I admit it would be one tasty dish....but the prep would be a nightmare

Wupy

What would you use for the fish basket??

Actually, I just gotta ask, how did they catch this monster?? A rod? A net? Lastly, what did they use for bait, and WHERE DO I BUY SOME?

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
ok, well just in comparison to the 6ft catfish(was it 6ft?) there is a 7ft alligator gar in our harbor at lake pontchatrain yacht club today. and i saw this one, no myth or legend. its quite a beast.

glad to meet ya too wupy!

--Kitsunegari

[edit on 3/8/2005 by Kitsunegari]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
The USS Hawkbill was 292 feet long and had a crew of 120 men.

No way your gonna find a catfish that big. No way at all..........

Hmmm, could be a submarine with the US Navy's new catfish cloaking technology.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
HOLY CRUD!!!!!

i just found out that we get manatees in the lake here!!!!!! thats the most exciting news i have heard all summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
LmAO,...Psst!, The instructor's a B.S artist!

Check out the file name of this pic! lol

[edit on 103131p://520810 by instar]

xu

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
let me tell you if you open your chute at 300 ft after a freefall you have the chance to survive. now its that long.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
A 300ft catfish! I think there's something a bit fishy about that(pun intended). Something like that probably couldn't support its own weight even under water.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
AsleepbyDawn, i live by ohio and lake erie. well actually i live by shenango lake, if anyone knows of that lake/river/dam. but theres been stories from the scuba divers that go down and check for cracks in the dam walls that say theyve seen 6 foot catfish so 6-7 ft possible but 300 lb. one, no way... heres the record: 124lbs.

Schmidt1989

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It was not 300 foot it was 300 kg.

Hear is the story.
Catfish

SHERMEN in northern Thailand have caught the biggest catfish on record – a 293-kg giant the size of a grizzly bear – and eaten it, the WWF and the National Geographic Society have said.

Still very impressive though.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Heh! It was probably 300lbs... whitch is also kinda far fetched, but I guess it could happen... I wouldn't know, I'm not too fish-savvy.

[edit on 8/12/05 by psychochick]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
A 30 ft catfish is more frightening to me I guess because its conceivable. More so than a 300 ft catfish.

30 ft catfish

Im not gonna be able to sleep tonight...thanks alot.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Even if there was a 300 footer out there.......how could he see the whole thing at one time?? Catfish are bottom feeders......in bad light and muddy water all he would be able to see would be a wall of fish!!

Now 300 pounds would not be too unbelievable....the one found in the far east was over 600 pounds.....but even 30 ft seems a bit much!

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Depends on type of cat too. If i remeber right I think the largest I heard of was 400lbs and that was a bull head and if anyone has ever seen them they are so fricken small in comparison to the channel cats. Personally, I caught two channel cats(like the grey on in the pic back there) a couple years back. One was 43 INs. and the other was 40 INs., nothing like 6 or seven feet though. I did hook into one in the UP too, not sure if it was a cat, carp, or sturgeon. I had a surf rod (Which my dad used to bring in a 69lb halibut) with 30lb test line. It started going up river and me and my dad couldn't even get the thing to turn around, almost broke the pole until we cut the line.

Also the really big ones meat gets to tough. I had noticed a difference between the 2 big ones i caught and other smaller ones I had caught previously. So I don't think it was that good eaten

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
so what youre saying is that the fish was somewhere around the size of this tree? Whats the name of the lake again? I aint never swimming there!

<< 1    3 >>

join