It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison Tour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
This may seem like a strange story. Its all true.
I will not use names or locations.

What I wish to ask you is if you think such a thing is good for kids, or bad.

Lets Begin.

Back when I was in grade 11, our school / classes gave us the opportunity to tour a maximum security prison. Yes thats right !

It was not mandatory, but many people took up the offer, including myself.

After many permission slips, background checks and the lot, we were off on a tour of a local max security prison.

I found it a bit strange at first, thinking my God this is not a good idea for a school trip, think of the danger. (ill explain why later)

The initial stop was nothing special, some chatting with officials and some scare stories to get us good and worried.

It was the next few hours that made us non-criminals for life.

We toured many of the roughest spots. We also met with lower security inmates who were allowed to walk around a certain area freely (amongst us as well which freaked us out).

We toured the area which housed people that had been in jail most of their entire life.

We toured super max. We toured the area which housed rival gangs, housed opposite of each other in a hexagon? I think it was shape, with the guard bunker being in the center.

They showed us where they had to fire rifles to "calm things down".

They showed us where inmates beat each other to death with free weights.

We ate prison food with huge hunks of meat in it.

We toured areas that housed murders, serial killers and beyond.

None of us who went on the tour have ever been in jail since.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
well Dulcimer, I'd say the trip served it's purpose just fine. Perhaps every child in the nation should take the same tour if it means that they too will stay out of prison.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
A couple of years ago, I toured the USDB (United States Disciplinary Barracks). I thoght it was a pretty cool tour. I know it keeps me from wanting to go to prison. Even though it's a military prison, we were told that everything to happens in a civilian prison happens there.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
u said u ate the prison food lol

u said it had big chunks of meat in it lol

ever wonder where the dead prisoners go????

Soilent Green is People!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Haha.

Must have been alot of dead prisoners

It actually wasnt too bad.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Which institution was it?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
sask.cbc.ca...

Heres a story from it.

Another here:

sask.cbc.ca...

Main page:

www.csc-scc.gc.ca...

I was in that guard tower I believe. Pretty ghetto stuff. Needs to be updated.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
A number of years ago, there was a program called "Scared Straight" where they would take troubled kids into prisons and let them have a talk with some of the prisioners. Suprisingly, the results were very favorable - the bad kids got the message and got their acts together. Of cource there were a few that didn't - but it was a much lower percentage than if there was no intersession.

I saw a few tours come through one of the prisons I worked at, A few of the inmates wanted to jump on an interior fence to scare the kids - but this was not allowed - didn't want everyone to get too excited and stir up things. (The Prisons I worked in - the inmates wandered around relatively free unless they were being counted, or after the yard closed). The only ones that were locked up 24/7 were those on death row, or those locked up for disiplanary action).

I belive that every student should tour a prison, and be allowed to talk to the inmates.

As far as the food - some of the prisons I have worked at had food that wasn't too bad, while the food at other prisons was quite revolting. Some of the prisoners would buy their own food (Raymond Noodels, sandwiches etc. at the canteen rather than go to the mess hall and eat there).

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
At this place the max security was behind some sort of glass. They would pound on the glass and swear at us until a guard told them to shut up.

Kinda freaky standing a few inches away from a room of gang members.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Grade 11 ? Hmm that would work I think. I know some people who I went to high school with long ago, that could have used some scaring.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Unfortunatly we are burdened by something called the 8th amd. This has been a hot button issue for me for a long time. Every time I see one of these tours on the news or other media it annoys me. Typically they use the threat of rape as an inducement to stay out of jail, claiming that it is beyond their control if inmates hurt each other. I have never been to prison, on tour or otherwise, but this seems non sensical to me. Use of rape as a punishment, or threat of punishment is unconstitutional. Also consider that in such a system the most violent criminals will get their kicks and rule the prison. What is the true aim of these programs? I believe that it is too scare potentialy rebellious people; not future criminals.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by consprtrkr
What is the true aim of these programs? I believe that it is too scare potentialy rebellious people; not future criminals.

I think that is part of the equasion.
Another part is to show young people the great need for prisons - so when they want to build more - or bigger prisons thay can get the money easier.
It does serve to deter criminals - although a lot of criminals do not fear Prison - they fear direct physical retribution.

I belive that prisons are inhumane - there should be three punishments:

Fine
    Flogging
    Death

This would remove the necessity for most prisons.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Hehe flogging.

I would not say all criminals fear prison. Perhaps the ones in gangs do not because they have some support, but people like child molesters, rapists and such will pay dearly in prison.

Of course a simple bullet would save alot of money and time with hard criminals.

Some people tend to disagree though...

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
They fear prison the first time -
As far as others paying dearly - er.....
probably depends on where they are I've never seen problems related to crimes on the outside. Currious though I never saw them put a dirty cop or judge in a regular prison - they have their own prison, and trade out with other states. (Toooooooooo Bad - maybe that would be the ultimate deterant for them).

Heard an inmate once say -
"The lowest form of criminal is the thief - because he steals from everyone, not just people on the outside".

top topics

join