It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yo, Mary C. sources here!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I never heard of the this boat and I don't like it. It's not an entrance debate topic or anything. We need more people for quality debates.

Easy way to get into the debate: here were some sources I found:

www.google.com...:CBJyxou5CbwJ:www.carter-stephenson.freeserve.co.uk/celeste.htm+Marie+Celeste+waterspout+tornado&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 [

search Google groups for it. alt.folklore.urban is good.

Ithink there is a ghost stories group.

www.straightdope.com...

Now use your basic english skills to compete...

[Edited on 19-8-2003 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I think John Bull's point in asking for info on the mary celeste was to make sure that people who applied for the debate were interested in doing actual research... as a problem with some of the last debates that defaulted was that contestants didn't actually bother to look anything up.

Whether the case of the Mary Celeste is 'ATS debate Quality' or not isn't the issue. The issue is whether or not a challenger was willing to take the time to search the net or a library for info on it... a point you have just negated, in a way.

Anyways, while we are on the topic of debate research, I recomend that people use their local libraries, or even the local college's library. I know that I intend to use mine. Yes, there are excellent websites out there... But, too often, shady sites with hand me down info are used as references here. As a warning, if you start citing sites like those, in the final, I will be merciless..

MWAHHAAHAAA

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well... your right. I just heard that not that many people were putting in entries and I figured this would give a boost. You don't always need to do research; I didn't do whole lot for my genetic grudge match.

" As a warning, if you start citing sites like those, in the final, I will be merciless.. MWAHHAAHAAA"

Those are damn fightin' words where I'm from...
I'm going to take you apart piece by piece and build a statue of a fool.

[Edited on 20-8-2003 by ktprktpr]

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Well... your right. I just heard that not that many people were putting in entries and I figured this would give a boost. You don't always need to do research; I didn't do any for my genetic grudge match.

Uh-Oh... Someone COULD take that comment as a blanket insult aimed at someone else, my man. Better watch-out, BigMama might be along to call you names...

Stay cool, dude

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
oh poopiedog! you're right. I didn't mean it that way. hmm. Going to some historical revisioning....

edit - damnit you quoted me. Ah whatever. It's all good.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Yes sadly I have only two entries as of now.

Naturally I'll be tempted to throw in the towel.In the long run.

But two is enough and the tournament will go ahead regardless.Besides there is still 2 days before the final entry date.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Wow, that's very bad. I was thinking like maybe 5 or 6. Maybe you should change the entrance topic. I don't want to just steamroll over onlyinmydreams.

That's doubly messed up because there are a lot of old timer foggys that should be more than willing to debate. This sucks. They're making my newbie experience bad.

Can you introduce a new more acessible topic, like Aliens or the NWO? I would make another post insulting old time members and calling them on this but I think that'll just get a warning or banned.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Wow, that's very bad. I was thinking like maybe 5 or 6. Maybe you should change the entrance topic. I don't want to just steamroll over onlyinmydreams.

That's doubly messed up because there are a lot of old timer foggys that should be more than willing to debate. This sucks. They're making my newbie experience bad.

Can you introduce a new more acessible topic, like Aliens or the NWO? I would make another post insulting old time members and calling them on this but I think that'll just get a warning or banned.

Unless you introduced a topic called, "The magical trolls and elven beings who make lucky charms in my flower garden" many of these 'Appreciated' members will not volunteer for a fight... they'd rather rest on arbitrary filler and kiss-a$$ points. You, KTPKPTR, seem to be willing to toss up a fight. That is noble, and more honorable than most around here. Because you have shown such courage and honor, I will not destroy you on my first post... should you reach the final round...

Ahh, and even if the ATS gangs outvote me, both you and I will know who the true, continuing, champ is... and, so, even if an early, though unrewarded, victory on my part is achieved, and the garlands of 'victory' should be placed on your head... You will know that I was generous, due to your honor, and reserved my (true) death blow until my second post...

[Edited on 21-8-2003 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
You know if only two people are in the debate tourny I don't think it should be held.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Yep,
That's really too bad. A lot of people around here like to correct each other and act like they can admonish others for being 'dumb'... but... when it's 'thrown down' for them they hide behind lame-ass excuses.

If you really know your stuff, I ask, why not put it on the line? I'm not being obnoxious... Just asking a basic question!

I wonder, though, that if POINTS were awarded for debate participation.. would more people participate? Many seem worried about protecting their 'insider points' derived reputations, and so do not participate, for fear of a public loss... But if POINTS were awarded for DEBATE WINS, would more people volunteer? I'm positive that they would.

My guess... if some people who hate me saw a big, silvery, bar of 'debate points' beneath my name... if they were truly capable (instead of from the puffed up group), they'd probably volunteer for debates...

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
There are more than two entrants.

The deadline is many hours away. Some entrants have very busy schedules.

The debate contest will be the best yet (not diminishing the value of previous debate contests).

People should not be criticized for entering or not entering, IMHO. But that is not to say that constructive well-placed criticism does not belong in honest feedback to peers at ATS.

John bull 1 has structured a great contest. His thread that includes the entry conditions keeps dropping out of site, for obvious reasons. Lack of constantly visible publicity has a part to play in why entries come in in dribs and drabs.

BTW, the standard of entrants yet to enter is phenomenal.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   

People should not be criticized for entering or not entering, IMHO.

BLAH, if you are a villainous heel trying to draw attention to the debates, it is most OBVIOUS that ALL contenders are inferior...

MWAHHHAAAHAAHAA

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Yes, this is true, all contenders are inferior to somebody, somewhere.

There are also people who don't take the first step of looking at the links ktpr provided.

I mean, how easy could it be to write 250 words?

I just wrote 50 of them.

new topics

top topics

join