It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm starting to write my UFO/ET book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Ok, I need topics and suggestions. List as many good UFO/ET topics as you can that you think should be included. Anything, from all aspects of the subject! I want your help in writting this book. It's been something that I've thought about doing for a while and I've just started gathering ideas and writting the introduction. Try to keep your suggestions and topics as factual and concrete as possible. I want the truth to be written in this book. Thanks!

[edit on 4-7-2005 by meshuggah1324]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Sounds nice!
I'm guessing itäs a book about UFOs ETs in general?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
How about something like, supposed alien/human bases and some theories on what occurs there, ie, Area 51 and Dulce.

Maybe a short bit on ufo's through history, I remember seeing something a while ago on how some things looking like ufo's appear in some odler paintings. Sort of a history of ufo's, instead of just sighting in the the last hundred years or so.

Maybe something on 'famous' ufo sightings/abductions and a review of what happened, evidence, etc.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If this is your first book, I would start out simple like with UFO history. I would be interested in a book that basically tells of the best cases/evidence that first proves that the sightings are real. Then go a step further to prove that UFO's show intelligence and are not natural phenomenon. Once you show that then you could go into whatever theory you believe, like that UFO's are extraterrestrial or inter-dimensional.

It may not be a very exciting book and be tough to get published, but it would give you more credibility. So many authors skip this step and go into a bizarre story just to sell books. But if you show you have extensive knowledge in your first book, you can write more later on other topics.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Actually you should probably write a book (and make an accompanying website) on Reptillian Hybrids(tm) who abduct people but make it feel like it was a dream.

Make sure you tie it to the NWO and Bush Administartion as well as several other conspiracy topics - and make it as implausable as humanly possible.

Then just sit back and rake in the dough - and (if you wanna) use part of the money to fund a legitimate Disclosure Project.

Thats my advice...

Otherwise you might as well just start your own website if you want to stick to the facts/evidence - as that is unlikely to move many books...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hello there, Meshuggah1324!

Glad to see a fellow writer getting their groove on. If I may offer a few bits of advice before I offer subject material, it may save you a lot of time.

1.) Are you writing to get published, or for self-edification (such as a web page)?

If you are writing to get published, and I assume this is to be a non-fiction book, I would very heartily recommend that you get a book such as "The Dummy's Guide to Getting Published", which will give you the proper format and methods for courting publishers. I won't go into all the detail here, but typically, you do not write an entire non-fiction book first. You write up an introduction, have a list of chapters with a brief summary, and a bibliography and sheet of referenced experts whom you are going to collect data from.

Then you propose the book to publishers (or agents) until one of them likes it. They try to sell the idea to their board, and if the board likes it, they ask you to write the work.

Now as fair warning, the subject matter you are writing on is a terribly saturated market. The competition is going to be so immense that your work must be incredibly well researched, with more than mere testimony and photographs. Otherwise, perhaps extremely in-depth stories, but most of the inexplicable ones have already been performed.

The bright side is that it is a very thirsty market as well. People LOVE books on UFOs. So even the worst pulp may be salable if it passes a cursory inspection.

2.) Keeping this in mind, in order to better sell your material, I would recommend you specialize it a bit. Perhaps you could do an entire book on how Spectacular UFO photo and videos fakes, along with a section on unprovable fakes (especially as you have two expert video-graphics UFO enthusiasts on the board to interview). Or, you could concentrate on the changes in people's life after they have allegedly been abducted, such as new abilities or mental disorders. Or you could do a book on how UFO/Aliens appear in historic art and how they compare to modern sitings. If it's specialized, there's less chance that another readily-available UFO book will address that issue, and thus will appeal to more UFO enthusiasts as something other than just another book of frisbee and monkey photos.

3.) In writing non-fiction, you absolutely must try to remove bias from the picture. Though many non-fiction books are published with bias, the more detached ones usually weather the years of criticism a lot better. If you act as if you are having to present this material to a group of highly skeptical scientists, but must use layman's terms, this may give you an idea of the attitude you need to take. Passionate writing has no place among non-fiction books on semi-taboo topics. If you write with the attitude that aliens are real, and people are stupid not to believe, the only ones likely to be impressed by your book are the very ones who didn't need your book to hold those beliefs. Let your audience decide for themselves, based on the evidence you present.

That's about it for now. Lemme know if you have any questions.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Perhaps focus only on experiences of 'professionals'... police, doctors, pilots, military, etc. There are lots of professionals who support the idea that UFOs are real, as gleemed from their own experiences and encounters.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the scientific or professional community doesn't believe in these things. This is simply the black & white categorization that the alternative community keeps perpetuating. If you do your research, you'll find professionals in all career areas who have had experiences and openly talk about it. This aspect of the ufo research needs to be emphasized more.

I recently watched a ufo documentary on The Learning Channel. Virtually all the people tooting their real and believed ufo experiences were professionals, including military officers, astronauts, etc. Yet - still - the alternative community continues to assume all professionals are slanted against the ufo subject simply because ufos in general are not taken seriously by a wider range the scientifc world.

One of the greatest services you can do is help to break down this black and white categorization of people that is all so common in the alternative community. Emphasizing more the professional positive opinions towards the ufo notion also helps to teach other professionals that it's ok to openly talk about these things.

If this slant for your book is not of interest to you, perhaps do a book on the quirky side of ufo community. The people, the community politics, the egos, the armchair research, etc. The pros the cons. And so forth. Errors in the negative behavoir of the alternative community really needs to be exposed and dealt with. For it's hindering true growth of the community as a whole. So common in the alt community are endless examples of slander, attacks, categorization, google-based-only-"research", and so on. These conditions are actually harming the cause and thwarting the direction towards truth, and preventing the mainstream from taking us seriously.

As a third possible slant for your book, perhaps investigating ufos in countries not often talked about. Like India, parts of Africa, etc. Not Mexico, Brazil, Russia... the norm away from the west. But more lesser known ufo situations in countries not often talked about.

If you want a slant suitable for a current "trendy" marketing theme, perhaps explore the ufo phenomena in the Islamic world. In their history, religion, current experiences in Islamic countries, etc. The paranormal of the Islamic region is barely talked about.

Those are 4 ideas.

Sean

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Something I think would make for an interesting book would be a study of how our feelings and ideas on UFOs have changed over time. One of the greatest problems we face today is the silly stuff from the past. As people we have evolved and so have our ideas.

How many times has someone come to this very forum with the announcement that they do not believe because of some data that most of us discounted ages ago?

You could compare this to a standard set of topics and show how they have changed, perhaps in a Decade by Decade format.

As one example, Racial views have changed rather radically. There was a time when it was accepted that non-white races were inferior. Laws reflected this and the average person followed right along. Over time we came to realize that not only was there no logical basis for this idea, but that it was harmful not only to those oppressed but to the oppressors themselves.

Another example, cheating on one's spouse. It was not that long ago where it was generally accepted that men do that, it was the subject of a sort of nod-nod-wink-wink-say no more sort of attitude. As women grew from second class citizens to full partners this slowly changed. Today we throw people out of public office for these sorts of actions because we realize that if they cannot keep their word to their spouse then how can we expect them to keep their word to us?

These sorts of topics could be used to show how we have struggled with the most basic of issues and how wrong we used to be. Along the way a comparision of our beliefs and concepts about Aliens have evolved as well.

UFOs are not a simple topic, from the beginning the very notion has been hard to accept for so many people because of the vast changes they represent. If we could not accept another person as worthy of respect because of their skin color how could be possible view beings from another Planet with anything other than fear and ignorance?

The biggest struggle that concerns UFOs has nothing whatsoever to do with Aliens, it has to do with us.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure how I will publish it yet. I'm still on the introduction, so it'll be a good few months before I'm close to done. More like a year or so.

It's more of a general overview of UFO history, how the government covers up the information, why the cover up the information, abductions, and why ETs are visiting earth.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet
Actually you should probably write a book (and make an accompanying website) on Reptillian Hybrids(tm) who abduct people but make it feel like it was a dream.

Make sure you tie it to the NWO and Bush Administartion as well as several other conspiracy topics - and make it as implausable as humanly possible.

Then just sit back and rake in the dough - and (if you wanna) use part of the money to fund a legitimate Disclosure Project.

Thats my advice...

Otherwise you might as well just start your own website if you want to stick to the facts/evidence - as that is unlikely to move many books...

You are absolutely right.

The truth on this issue is neither popular nor profitable.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Tau, I like your idea too!

Unfortunately, Mesh is going put out another 'been there, done that' book.

As Mesh stated after our ideas:

"It's more of a general overview of UFO history, how the government covers up the information, why the cover up the information, abductions, and why ETs are visiting earth."

*yawn*. What an opportunity missed to come out with a new slant. Not sure why Mesh wanted ideas if the default is back to the typical style of ufo books; history, cover-up, why here, etc.

Yet one keen and sharp slant could have the potential to elevate the book to prominence above all the other cookie-cutter ones.

Opportunity missed... again.

Sean

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'd focus on a single topic and not go for doing the broad history approach. It's been done to death. My suggestion:

The Mexico phenomenon (focusing on why Mexico seems to be such a hotspot for activity in the past decade)

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I am willing to keep an open mind about what our Author-to-be intends. Brief summaries can never really convey the totality of a book, he might surprise us.

I guess it is just me, but if I were to write a book on this subject my goal would have to be to make a significant difference. Many have tried, most have failed but I think it is a worthy goal.

There are two parts to the study of UFOs, the Personal and the Society. The first stage is always the personal, 'I want to know what is going on'. Since the official scientific answer is not really all that convincing we are all forced to dig deeper and make a conclusion. If through weight of evidence, the math that involves billions of Galaxies, or a specific event you cannot deny, you come to the conclusion that we have been visited by life from elsewhere you move to Stage II.

The need to inform the rest of Society, to change that official scientific answer, can be fairly strong. So powerful a drive is this that people of our Community have been driven to create phony evidence, to write fiction, because they feel they must. Really sad, once you cross that line, you will never be trusted.

But I am sure our budding Author will not do such things. But it does illustrate how stong the desire to reach people can get.

Each new book does have the advantage of what has been done up to that point so the information can be the very best ever if properly researched.

I see this time as one where we are all being tested. Those that watch will have to respond when the attitudes on our side reach a certain level. We must get ready for what has to follow. And since the changes involved in real contact with other life are massive, that is no easy task. People who are ready are open-minded, curious, unafraid, compassionate, and the hardest one of all, unafraid of change itself. We must all learn to ride the waves.

Facts go a certain distance, the rest of the way is human psychology.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well said Tau. And the aspects you mention are concepts/topics not readily found or talked about much. This is what I like to read when I purchase a book; to learn something new. Pretty much any other info about UFOs can be found easily on the internet, and in abudance. History, cover-ups, accounts, theories, examples, and so forth. But aspects you mention are not so common and thus need more investigation/attention.

Sean

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I would like to read a book about the authors quest of UFO, paranrmal etc experiences. Sort of a highstrangeness road trip. Traveling to hot spots, interviewing witnesses, personal observations. Sort of a Kerouac "onthe road" from the gen.XYz
perspective.

As others have said, the overview has been done to death, but the up close and personal might find an receptive market.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think it would be good to have something about UFO's in ancient history. I would also like to see how UFO's and aliens are in contact with the government.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Why don't you focus on "water" ufos? I don't think there is much on those. (not sure though....haven't looked).

But, I've read that there are underwater stations or motherships......that would be an interesting angle to cover.

Maybe find out which oceans they are seen the most.

Good luck,
Faeryland

top topics

join